Nazareth Awakened - Chapter 02: Wives of Solomon

Rubberneck

First Post
Law hops into the drivers seat of his SUV and asks the others,

"Shall we head to the next hallow or should we go to where we met the mystery woman?"

Mosier

First Post
Maybe if Agnasci had seen the woman when Harper and Law did, he would have been more inclined to investigate her. As it is now, Agnasci has too much on his mind to care much about someone who happens to know their Shadownames.

"Lets finish up with the hallows. I'd rather have something more than 'yeah, the church was pretty messed-up' to report to Penrose."

Shayuri

First Post
"Yeah, I dunno what I was expectin' but it wasn't just a church. Even if it was a church with a real live ghost in it," Chance agrees. "I mean, I'd love to check THAT out, but when he was talking about hallows, I was expecting...I dunno...magic!"

Rubberneck

First Post
Law starts the engine to his SUV and heads to the address for the other hallow.

"I'm sure this one will be more interesting if people are living in this place."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper idly taps his fingers on his denim-clad knee. He stills his hand just before he speaks. "We're not going to be able to go tromping around the house if it's occupied. Crow can fly over and give me a general idea of the property layout. I'll also be able to sense if there's any people around. Other than that, I guess we'll just have to see what things look like."

[/section]

TillForPie

First Post
Law reverses his Tahoe and heads back toward Nazareth on Rattlesnake Road. Just like the previous night, everything is quiet except the pattering of rain on the roof. Harper glances back through the rear window in time to see the church illuminated by a flash of lightning: It continues to look remarkably like a face, but where once it seemed menacing it's now forlorn as it watches the group disappear into the desert.

As unsettled by the silence as he was last night, Law turns on the radio. It's the Witching Hour, a late night talk program run by some local named Donald Waters. The locals in the group know of the Waters Radio Station in northeastern Nazareth - near Rattlesnake Road in fact. Chance in particular knows exactly who "Donald" is.

"... and who knows what they're not telling us? My source in Tucson says it looked like there was some, uh, occult stuff going on in that trailer, in that Fleetwood." Everyone in the SUV exchanges looks. It wasn't a Fleetwood, it was a Winnebago, but close enough. Penrose had said he was going to have Faye call in the trailer anonymously. It was near Tucson, so it makes sense she'd call the police department there. "Now, I'm not gonna try to convince you that magic is real, OK? I'm not an idiot, and, and, I know none of you are." Donald Waters doesn't seem particularly good at this - he's been on the air for almost a year but he still manages to seem nervous and rambling. Chance knows Donnie probably wouldn't have a job if he weren't Joel's nephew, but his heart's in the right place. "But why haven't they released a statement about this stuff? Sure, some lame post on the Tucson PD's Twitter account, but they haven't mentioned anything about, uh, you know, this extra stuff that I'm privy to."

The trip through Nazareth is quick, with most of the streets empty. It's at about 10:45 PM, a little over a half an hour after they first arrived at the church, that Law is pulling up outside 1505 Robert E. Lee Road. It's the last house at the end of a cul-de-sac in a decent neighborhood in southern Nazareth, surrounded by single story lower-middle class homes with lawns of either yellowed grass or desert rocks. There are two nearby street lights that provide a small amount of ambient illumination. 1505 is probably the shabbiest house on the street but it's been made to look as nice as possible, and it's obvious why:

1505 Robert E. Lee Road is for sale.

A sign in the lawn advertises the phone number of a real estate agent named P. Morgan. The house itself, a blue home with darkened windows, was probably built in the 70s and has a black mono-pitched roof. There's no garage, and the driveway is empty save a patch of white paint that likely covers an oil stain. Basement windows peek out from beneath the house.

The voice on the radio continues. "And, really, this is just a part of an ongoing problem. No transparency in our government, at all, at any level, you know?" Seems he's moving on to another topic.

Last edited:

Rubberneck

First Post
Law parks his Tahoe where the shadows would conceal the group the most, then moves in on foot avoiding the light as much as possible. It's late in the evening but not late enough to ensure no one happened to be looking out their windows.

"Alright guys lets see what this hallow has to offer."

Once to the house he will try and peek in windows to see if a home alarm system happened to be installed.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper slides out of the Tahoe and leans against its side while Law moves to reconnoiter. "Crow, take a look around the property and let me know if there is anything unusual around." As Crow flies off Harper imagines his awareness changing to let him know if people or dogs are around.

[/section]

[sblock=OOC]Cast Sense Life (Life 1) targeting humans and dogs. Unfortunately, Harper doesn't have Space 1 so won't be able to pinpoint its location which makes this much less useful than I thought last night.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"Ya know," Chance offers as they creep up on the house, "We don't really have to break in this time. We could just call Mr Morgan and tell him we're interested and want a tour."

It didn't escape her notice that Law's radio was tuned to Waters either. He didn't look around and find it...it was already there. Didn't bear mentioning, but it was interesting...especially since he was also a policeman. Was he listening because he was interested in the shows, in her, or because his boss wanted to know what they were talking about?

Chance will remember that.

TillForPie

First Post
Cast Sense Life (Life 1) targeting humans and dogs. Unfortunately, Harper doesn't have Space 1 so won't be able to pinpoint its location which makes this much less useful than I thought last night.
It's true that you can't pinpoint the location without Space 1 but Harper will be able to "get a good sense of where these living patterns are in relation to him" even without it. It'll do the trick for determining if there are people or dogs in any nearby homes, and even identifying which homes they're in (simply because he can detect their direction from him). Determining precisely where those people and dogs are in those homes is beyond Harper's present abilities, however.

Harper opens his mind to the presence of biological patterns in the area. He feels the hum of the life of Nazareth at the edges of his consciousness but he narrows the range of the spell, excluding everything except for man and his best friend. There are no people or dogs in 1505 Robert E. Lee Road, but Harper can detect life elsewhere: There are three people in the home to the right of 1505, a white house with an older Ford Escape in the driveway, and one person and two dogs in the home to the left, another white house that currently has an empty driveway. The other homes on the street follow a similar pattern, most of them having between one and four human presences. Their locations blur together the further down the street Harper's detection goes, but suffice it to say, the street is very inhabited. [sblock=Spell: Sense Life]Roll: Life 1 + Gnosis 1 = Success with 1 success
Harper can actively scan for human and canine presences for the remainder of the scene. In addition, he is continually passively scanning for those kinds of life in a 1-yard radius around himself[/sblock][sblock=Roll: Law being stealthy]Roll: Dexterity 4 + Stealth 0 - 1 unskilled penalty + 2 darkness = 3 successes
Observers will have to at least tie Law's number of successes in order to notice him[/sblock]Meanwhile Law is advancing along the front of the home, trying his best to keep in the shadows. He's not an especially stealthy person, but he's quick and it's dark out, so he manages to remain mostly out of sight. He flattens himself against the wall beside the large living room windows and tries to peek in. It's totally dark inside, but Law gets the feeling the interior of the home is empty. There's a sticker on the window for a security service called SWORDSTAR, which Law as a police officer is familiar with: It's a fake security company that homeowners can advertise having if they can't afford actual security.

Remove ads