• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Necromancer Games - 3 5E books announced!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
What I found interesting was the admission that the licensing for these books hasn't been finalized - that means that they could be OGL products the way The Wizard's Amulet is, or they could use whatever third-party license WotC is brewing up.

...that said, I noticed that the expected fulfillment date for this Kickstarter is November of this year. Given that (unless I'm misremembering) WotC said that third-party licensing will happen in early 2015, it seems likely that these books will have to be OGL (particularly since the Kickstarter page says they want these out the door as soon as possible, since a new edition is always hurting for support materials right at the beginning).

dd.stevenson

Super KY
What I found interesting was the admission that the licensing for these books hasn't been finalized - that means that they could be OGL products the way The Wizard's Amulet is, or they could use whatever third-party license WotC is brewing up.

...that said, I noticed that the expected fulfillment date for this Kickstarter is November of this year. Given that (unless I'm misremembering) WotC said that third-party licensing will happen in early 2015, it seems likely that these books will have to be OGL (particularly since the Kickstarter page says they want these out the door as soon as possible, since a new edition is always hurting for support materials right at the beginning).

About 24 hours ago, Mearls asked straight up on twitter whether people thought 5E should go OGL. This despite the fact that he supposedly had all these decisions worked out and was just waiting until 2015 to announce them.

To me, this brings to mind the events that unfolded between Clark Peterson and Wotc back at 4E's launch.

I might be wrong, but I do believe that this free pdf and kickstarter announcement are intended to force Mearls' hand: either he can launch 5E under the OGL before November, or he can allow the revived Necromancer Games label to unilaterally do their worst under the current OGL (as they apprently just did with the free pdf).

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Matt/Chuck - will this impact the Pathfinder & Swords & Wizardry releases? (Such as Northlands Saga and Lost Lands Campaign Setting)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads