Necromancer Games-update by Orcus

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's a tough economy, and the competition is tough. I thought Necro was up to the challenge like Goodman, but I guess they are not. It sounds to me like they are blaming others and making excuses instead of rising to the challenge. Ah well, too bad.

Glyfair

Explorer
It's a tough economy, and the competition is tough. I thought Necro was up to the challenge like Goodman, but I guess they are not. It sounds to me like they are blaming others and making excuses instead of rising to the challenge. Ah well, too bad.
Not to me. It seems to me that they are looking at reality and realizing that the bar is high. Clark commented that a couple of products might see print (I still am expecting a Tome of Horrors 4E) and he might go to a PDF market.

The basic fact is that whatever internal struggles there were with the GSL, the entire circumstances put a big dent in 3rd party plans. Combine it with the other challenges that everyone is facing, and "rising to the challenge" moves from a tough fight to tilting at windmills.

Twowolves

Explorer

What competition? The whole point is there is almost no 3pp anymore. Other than Goodman Games, how many 4th ed specific 3rd party PRINT material is out there?

The Necro guys were some of the biggest cheerleaders for the new edition, until the GSL fiasco. Even now, they want to put out some product, but the stiffling GSL (and lack of Character Builder support, I'm guessing) pretty much nixes any printed books. Since their whole gaming company is a hobby and not a primary source of income, why should they bother? Instead of "excuses", I see how WotC slammed the door in the face of a company that made quality products promoting their core line, and even up until recently was a staunch supporter of the new edition. They WANTED to help, and was pretty much handed a license that they knew, as practicing lawyers in their day jobs, was potentially a poison pill.

Of course, as a Pathfinder fan, this is potentially good news for me.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not to me. It seems to me that they are looking at reality and realizing that the bar is high. Clark commented that a couple of products might see print (I still am expecting a Tome of Horrors 4E) and he might go to a PDF market.

The basic fact is that whatever internal struggles there were with the GSL, the entire circumstances put a big dent in 3rd party plans. Combine it with the other challenges that everyone is facing, and "rising to the challenge" moves from a tough fight to tilting at windmills.

I don't know of any businesses right now that are not facing similar, or even worse, challenges. Hard time getting retailers to carry your product? Hard time finding distributors to distribute your product? Hard time getting financing to produce your product? These are not unique problems. They are the same problems just about every business is facing right now.

Those who are up to it find ways to overcome the difficulties. Those not, complain that something other than themselves is to blame for their inability to succeed.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
What competition? The whole point is there is almost no 3pp anymore. Other than Goodman Games, how many 4th ed specific 3rd party PRINT material is out there?.
I've seen Expeditious Retreat Press and Mongoose out there. I am surprised I haven't seen the Creature Collection from Fiery Dragon out there. I also have seen one or two products from small publishers as well.

Still, not too much and it really doesn't seem to be displayed prominently.

Twowolves

Explorer
I don't know of any businesses right now that are not facing similar, or even worse, challenges. Hard time getting retailers to carry your product? Hard time finding distributors to distributor your product? Hard time getting financing to produce your product? These are not unique problems. They are the same problems just about every business is facing right now.

Those who are up to it find ways to overcome the difficulties. Those not, complain that something other than themselves is to blame for their inability to succeed.

Or C) those that don't HAVE to in order to feed their families drop sideline hobby projects and focus on their money-making careers.

Twowolves

Explorer
I've seen Expeditious Retreat Press and Mongoose out there. I am surprised I haven't seen the Creature Collection from Fiery Dragon out there. I also have seen one or two products from small publishers as well.

Still, not too much and it really doesn't seem to be displayed prominently.

Exactly. Almost none, and the top 4 or 5 from 3rd ed aren't on that list (Necromancer Games, Green Ronin, Paizo, Sword & Sorcery/WW).

The pendulum swung a bit too far in the other direction, if you are anyone but the WotC authors of the GSL, IMHO.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
Exactly. Almost none, and the top 4 or 5 from 3rd ed aren't on that list (Necromancer Games, Green Ronin, Paizo, Sword & Sorcery/WW).

The pendulum swung a bit too far in the other direction, if you are anyone but the WotC authors of the GSL, IMHO.

Which was the whole goal of the restrictive GSL in the first place, in my cynical opinion.

ggroy

First Post
Going back further into rpg history, one can see what happened to Judges Guild. Even with few 3pp companies for AD&D, one can go belly up very easily.

Melan

Explorer
I don't think it was just the GSL. I think Clark was assuming more of a continuation of the open gaming environment of the 3E era, as Necromancer games prided itself on the old school feel. 4E is a very specific sort of game, far more so than any previous edition of D&D. It doesn't really lend itself to alternate interpretations or the "old school" Necromancer feel, and the GSL basically disallows you to reinvent the wheel with 4E. So the combination of the GSL being restricting in a business/IP sense, 4E being contrary to the "flavor" of Necromancer, and the GSL restricting the ability to rewrite 4E failed to live up to Necromancer's expectations.
This is my position as well. The mismanaged introduction of the GSL is worthy of a lot of blame, but there also seems to be an underlying cultural shift towards more official, more codified, more fine-tuned gaming instead of the fairly free market of ideas that characterised 3.0. Looking at ENWorld or RPGNet's D&D subforum, I am not seeing a buzz for 3rd party products that promise a different play experience, while people are still passionately debating the merits of various 4e rulebooks. Around 2001, ENWorld was awash with discussions over Sword&Sorcery's product, the pentagram on Relics&Rituals, first edition feel, Green Ronin and all that; today, this doesn't seem to be the case.

The second point is that with 4e, Wizards pretty much massacred Necromancer's niche and split its market. If you like "1st edition feel" or "old school", it is often very hard to like 4e's supposed innovations, or even recognise the game as a legitimate D&D edition. Sure, there are lots of people who fall into this category, but I'd estimate there were at least as many who jumped ship or just quietly walked away. It is a hard game to write old school support for.

Third, what remained of Necro's niche is now efficiently served by Goodman Games (although I consider their products to be more hit and miss) and Expeditious Retreat Press. It is not easy to return to the field, especially as a hobby company that effectively hasn't published new books for years now.

All in all, I have a lot of symapthy for Clark, but they are in a bit of a predicament. I would love to see some long-promised classics (e.g. The Sword of Air or Treasure Maps and Lairs), and generally more low-maintenance, low-pagecount products, but I am skeptical about their viability in today's environment.

Remove ads