Necromancer or DCCs?

Paragon Kobold

First Post
I'm currently running a campaign based on Vault of Larin Karr, with a side trip to Morrick Mansion. I reccomend both modules. If you use one of the campaign modules from Necromancer it is very easy to 'pad out' the campaign by inserting a few dungeons from the DCC modules. i.e. I am considering adding the one from 'Legacy of the Savage Kings' to the wilderness north of the valley.

Renshai

First Post
I like both company's work. If I had to pick one, it would be DCC. I just love the feel they evoke and the classic dungeon feel they give. Plus they have an old school setting coming out this month.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I like the products of both companies very much. I find the DCCs easier to 'plug' into my campaign and 'mix-and-match', simply because they tend to be shorter than Necromancer's modules, and provide less in the way of setting/background information. OTOH, a single Necromancer book (e.g. 'Lost City of Barakus') can provide you with months of adventure material.

Of course using products from both companies is easy. :)

Renshai said:
... Plus they have an old school setting coming out this month.

Of course, Necromancer games has published the classic Judges Guild The Wilderlands of High Fantasy setting -- you can't get more 'old school' than that! (The original Wilderlands was published before Greyhawk.)

Fathead

First Post
Blackwind said:
Well, thanks, everyone. I will probably buy a bunch of them and then mix them together, depending on what actions the PCs take. I want to keep the game challenging, as two of the players are the Gamist/Tactician type and all of them are veteran dungeon-delvers going back multiple editions.

That said, I would appreciate recommendations of specific modules: pimp your favorites! What I am hearing is that Necromancer's products have a bit more 'depth' and that people seem to really like Tomb of Abysthor...

In that case, I would highly recommend a couple of DCC modules - Crypt of the Devil Lich and Vault of the Dragon Kings. They were the 2004 and 2005 GenCon tournament modules, respectively. They are both high level (I believe Crypt was around 15th, while Vault was around 10th...I think).

To me, they epitomize the classic dungeon crawl, with interesting combats, riddles, dozens of traps, and epic final battles.

I would also recommend this years tournament module, Palace of the Waste, which was for around 6th level characters...but it won't be out until around July...

Remove ads