• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a Compact Gaming Table Solution

Felon

First Post
I'd like to game at my home, but I don't have a big six-chair dinner table, and don't want one just to game.

I'd like to game in the living room area, but I think I need something large enough to support a battlemat at least. Of course, I'd also like folks to have a surface to write on as well. OTOH, I don't want something that'll be obtrusive when I'm not gaming.

I was hoping to find some kind of compact solution, like a coffee table with side extensions. Anyone found anything like that?

When I was a kid, we were content to sit around on the floor, but now that seems unpallatable for some reason. Does anyone do that?

Festivus

First Post
Buy a sheet of plywood and put a felt backing on it, then set it atop your coffeetable when gaming, and hide in the closet when not.

You could get fancy, paint it white and draw gridlines onto it, and then cover it with Plexiglass for a real nice setup.

If I were to do it again, that's how I would do it. A game table that sits atop another table.

SSquirrel

Explorer
I had just been commenting to my wife yesterday to superglue a gridmap to a cork bulletin board and pull it out for a portable battlemat

egarvue

First Post
We use one or two (depending on group size) of the fairly cheap "blow molded" plastic tables with the folding legs, you can get them at any home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot. They're longer than just a card table, but can be folded flat and stored out of the way.

As for battlemats, our group exclusively uses the Game Mastery line of Flip Mats. Used to be made by Steel Squwire, but Paizo now sells them. We love 'em - they fold flat to fit in a bag or folder, and dry erase markers work great on them. We've put 'em through all kinds of abuse, and they hold up very well. Cheap, too, only $10-$12 and worth every penny.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Last week, we switched our normal Tuesday game to another location at the last moment, and the guy whom we played with has a small, square, wooden cafe room table on high legs (it came with four bar stools). The table measured roughly 3' x 3' but had two 1' x 2' leaves, which would have seated all six of us comfortably -- if it weren't for the lack of chairs ;) I'm not 100% positive, though I think it may have been an Ikea table.

Rowe

First Post
Go to home depot. get you a 3'x3' piece of Lexan plastic. Take thin masking tape 1/16 of an inch, or 1/8 can't remember. Line 1 side of it in 1"x1" pattern. Take black spray paint and coat the side you have taped. Remove the tape, and flip the board over. Now you have a black background with clear see through lines. Go to an art store and get you Grease pencils. Bingo. mobile game table.

frankthedm

First Post
Felon said:
When I was a kid, we were content to sit around on the floor, but now that seems unpallatable for some reason. Does anyone do that?
Having D4's on the floor is a Bad IdeaTM. Also, depending one the group's age bracket, stiff legs and aching backs may be a concern.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
A little heavier, but you can get melamin (sp?) board from a hardware store. My group picked up a 4'x8' sheet for about 30$, used a t-square to score a 1" grid on it with a carpet knife and it works awesome. It's essentially white board. Obviously the size is going to be an issue, but you should be able to get one cut down to an appropriate size. Then just make sure you've got a tablecloth on your "support" table (a sturdy coffee table should work) and pull it out of the closet/garage whenever you need it.

Felon

First Post
frankthedm said:
Having D4's on the floor is a Bad IdeaTM. Also, depending one the group's age bracket, stiff legs and aching backs may be a concern.
Been watching too much Venture Bros, Frank.

Remove ads