• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

need a new character idea

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
some form of healer

In our group, we have decided that there are 2 Sacred Healing Feats: the one AS WRITTEN in the CompDiv handbook, and the PHB2 are treated as distinct feats with the same name (rather than as a re-write)*.

The original lets you burn Turn Undead attempts to grant the benefit of Fast Healing (I forget which level) in a 30' radius. It doesn't seem like much until you realize that the radius means you can do this for all of your party- and friendly NPCs, and pets- simultaneously. Starting with 3+ Cha Turn Undeads/day, boosted with Extra Turning (which adds 4 Turns/day...and can be taken multiple times), and this means that with a decent Cha score, you can burn 2-3 of these Turns, healing @15pts of healing per PC/Ally/Pet per TU burned (30-45 HP) without missing those Turns and without touching your spell-based healing. If you have 4 PCs in the party, that's 120-180HP of healing for not much effort. (Count the number of squares in that 30' radius and get an idea of how powerful that can be...) CAUTION: since its an AoE effect that works on EVERYONE in its area, don't use it in combat!

And since its Fast Healing, it means that it takes a few rounds to take full effect. Bummer? Nope. That means that any "wounding" or "bleeding" damage suffered during the duration of this effect simply stops.
Fallen allies are automatically stabilized if dropped below 0HP while this effect is active.

So...stat up a nifty TN, CN or LN** Cleric of War & Strength (or War & Death, or War & Destruction or War & Healing), get some nice armor and a martial weapon, then take Sacred Healing and Extra Turning and go to town!;)

* And there is some support for this- from another poster here on ENWorld:

I sent this one to WotC CS over the weekend as a "Possible Errata Item", and got a response this morning. It is an error; the new feat is not meant to replace the old one, and the duplicate naming is a mistake.

Originally Posted by WotC Customer Service
Response (Zephreum H.) 05/15/2006 09:45 AM
Thank you for contacting us.

Well, there was a mistake in naming the newer of the two feats. The feats are different and can each be taken seperately, they just both have the same name on accident.

Take Care!

** You want TN, CN or LN because then you get to choose to Turn Undead rather than Rebuke Undead, and I don't know if Divine Metamagic feats with TU requirements work with RU. And TN can work just fine with an evil party.

Last edited:

marcielle

First Post
Did someone say eeeeviiiilllll?
Dread necromancer. Who needs healing when your wall of zombies take all the damage? (4HD + 2 with the right feats mean they will have more hp than the PCs lol)
Damage? You get a ton of attacks per round and if its slowing down combat too much just have a ton of minions assist your heavy hitter. Also, rouge will ALWAYS have a flanking buddy.

Favored souls. You'd have to be one mean muthuhubba to be an evil god's favored soul but if you don't mind bathing in the blood of orphans then go for it. Just because you have access to blaster AND healing magic doesn't mean you shouldn't explore the rest of the spell list though. Battlefield control and utility are usually better choices than blasting for casters in general. At least, that's what I hear...

I'm not too familiar with archivists but they are PROFESSORS OF EVIL with cleric spells. They are tier 1 so you probably won't want to optimize or you'll leave your friends in the dust.

If you are goin meelee however, take a ToB class. Crusaders heal AND dish out respectable damage. And if anyone says ToB is broken threaten to play a Batman wizard.

edwee

First Post
thank you for all the suggestions, I really appreciate them. I Think i know a little bit more about the character. I still dont know what base class I want to play, but my characters background is going to revolve around him idolizing an Entropic Reaper and wanting to be like one, so he wants to A- use a scythe (effectively) and B- eventually become an entropomancer (from complete divine). any class ideas that would help in getting to this character idea?

edwee

First Post
oh, forgot to mention, our dm is using his own separate pantheon, and im not familar with it, so it may or may not have some issues with certain cleric characters

Remove ads