Need advice on getting Demonweb Pits

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Somehow, in the course of the last 20 odd years I have managed to completely miss out on either playing in or DMimg the Giants/Drow/Demonweb arc of modules. I was considering getting the ESD products to run my current group through in the future and was wanting to tap the collective wisdom of the board in which I should purchase, the scans of the individual modules (meaning the Against the Giants scan, the Drow scan, and Demonweb) or the (2e?) mega module Queen of the Demonweb Pits? What are the differences between the various forms, and which would be simpler/easier to convert to 3e?

Thanks!

/em gnarlo!

johnsemlak

First Post
I would get the GDQ Queen of the Spiders module. It has pretty much the whole thing unchanged. GDQ1-7 was a 1st edition product, btw.

The main thing you don't get are the pregenerated characters. There are a few fewer illustrations.

As getting the whole series of individual modules will cost you $20 (G1-2-3, D1-2, D3, and Q1), the savings is obvious.

My only complaint against the GDQ supermodule, other than what I mentioned above was that the editing was a bit lousy.

That said, I never acually had Q1, so I can't say for sure if any changes were made or not. But the others were unchanged pretty much.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I agree with what johnsemlak said, GDQ is probably the best.

As for converting them, since most of the monster types and such have already made the jump to 3E, there should be no real problems there. I imagine it'd be more about time than effort in converting the entire thing.

johnsemlak

First Post
I haven't tried, but one problem with converting it is that several monsters in it have signficantly different power levels than before.

BTW there are conversions of G1, G2, and G3 in the conversion library.

Remove ads