Need Advice on Party Fighter

Amrynn Moonshadow

First Post
completely for mechanical reasons you should be a tank. take alot of damage, give more out. high stats are str and con. then in any order dex, int (for skill points), wis (for skill mods). cha is the dump stat. be a human or a dwarf.

sure, it may not be as fun as being an elven war wizard, a human paladin or even a half-orc barbarian. and we all know it's no where near as fun as actually playing a role-play heavy fighter, especially with the group, it'll be your nice to be a heavily armored fighter (aka. damage sponge), and they'll rely on your roll-play, not role-play.

sad.

but a fact of the party.

but you can multi with cleric a bit for some more of a fun character, while being able to still wear the heavy armor.

if you are using the psi classes, be a psiwarrior.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
I'd still recommend beginning as a straight forward human fighter with:
  1. Bastard Sword or Dwarven Waraxe.
  2. some kind of reach weapon... A Longspear or Guisarme are good choices.
  3. A bow and arrows.
  4. A dagger (for backup or dual weilding).
  5. A buckler.
  6. Whatever armor you can afford.

With the abilities you listed, I'd go with STR 15, CON 15, DEX 12 and the rest don't matter much.

Make certain you take Exotic Weapon (B.Sword or D.Waraxe), the other two feats are up to you, but I'd recommend Power Attack and Cleave.

You'll have plenty of options for battle tactics (and chances to learn all the combat rules thoroughly), and you won't ever have to drop the buckler to use a weapon two-handed.

Just remember, tank fighters can have personalities too.

Last edited:

Human Ftr4/BrbX

Str 15
Dex 12
Con 15
Int 11
Wis 10
Cha 11

Feats:
1: EWP: Waraxe, Power Attack, Cleave
2: Weapon Focus
3: Feat of Choice
4: Weapon Specialization
5: Start Taking Barbarian
6; Great Cleave
etc

If you like you can switch Cleave and Weapon Focus, but with the enemies you'll be facing at first level, you should be able to cleave them often enough that +1 to hit can wait.

nameless

First Post
The most effective min/max warrior-type I've seen was the following

Level 1-2 as Monk, then change alignment to Neutral
Level 3-4 as Barbarian, get Rage, Uncanny Dodge
Level 5 Ranger, fill in skills

From there on, you can either go for some prestige classes, more Barbarian/Ranger levels, or some fighter levels. The version of this I used went for the spring attack route, which was awesome with a polearm, and over the course of time got a Monk's Belt (for haste), Boots of Striding and Springing, and Wings of Flying. Of course, gratuitous use of Power Attack was also essential.

I also got my DM to let me in the Planar Champion PrC from MotP with modified reqs (I couldn't get specialization), which rocks. Great skills, and useful class abilities. Between all the classes, Evasion makes area damage spells easy, and the monk saves are awesome. You get some versatility with Monk unarmed damage and such too.

As for the drawbacks, there are only a few. One, you lose one BAB at the first monk level. Two, you need high Str, Con, and Wis to be effective, and Dex helps quite a lot. Three, wearing armor hurts your monk abilities, so AC is a little on the low side (especially during rage), but HP is nice and high.

-nameless

Black Omega

First Post
and you won't ever have to drop the buckler to use a weapon two-handed.

While true I'm a little puzzled what benefit a buckler gives. If you have exotic weapon prof you can use the Dwarven Waraxe or Bastard Sword with one hand and use a large shield. With two handed weapons like the longbow and longspear the buckler will give no AC benefit, nor will it when you use the hand and a half weapons two handed. So basically, the buckler will only help in situations where a large shield would be of more benefit.

Haldarin

First Post
You have good stats to play a tank, which is just what your party needs. I agree with the suggestion to play a fighter/barbarian.

One possibility would be to play a dwarven fighter/barbarian. Fighter is the favored class for dwarves, so taking only a few levels of fighter would not be a problem. The combo of a high dwarven constitution and a barbarian's hit dice would start to add up over time.

The tradeoff is that your character probably doesn't have the dex to use medium armor effectively unless you wanted to take a 15 str, 15 dex 12 (14) con. A 12 dex and heavy armor would make you lose your speed bonus and stick you with a slow movement rate. Tough to hurt but slow moving. It's your call.

There are some decent role playing opportunities. Everyone would be expecting you to play a Conan-style battle rager. Instead, you could introduce him as simply a poor hill dwarf who left his rural village for some reason. That could open up some interesting possibilities.

reapersaurus

First Post
ThenHeCame said:
10 15 15 10 12 11. These cannot be altered in anyway unless a racial modifier does so. The only resource I can use is the DMG and the PHB.
Yuck.
27 badly-distributed points.

What rolling method did he use?

Go for the tank.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Here's my take:

Half-orc Fighter Lvl 1

STR17
DEX11
CON15
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 8

hp 12

Feats: Greatsword, Improved initiative

Skills: Climb +7, Craft (Anything that can make money)+4.

Initiative: +4
Attack bonus with greatsword: +4
Damage with greatsword: 2d6+4

Armor: as heavy as the DM will allow you to purchase.

Later feats to work on include power attack, cleave, weapon focus, and weapon specialization, in that order.

Anyone else have more crafty ideas - KEEP IN MIND - He's only starting out at first level.

By the way - I don't advise monk with these scores. He might be great at lower levels, but he has to survive to get to them first.

Ace

Adventurer
ThenHeCame said:
Met with my DM earlier today and he witnessed my Stat rolls,which are the following...

10 15 15 10 12 11. These cannot be altered in anyway unless a racial modifier does so. The only resource I can use is the DMG and the PHB.

So given with the information I have provided, what should I do? My first instinct is to chuck the to 15s in STR/CON and equip a Sheild/Longsword as a human, but, I don't want my party to be wiped out becuase I can't cut it on the battle feild...

Double yuck. Your instict to go with the tank is the right one.
If it were me it would be
Human Fighter
Str15
Int 11
Wis10
Dex12
con 15
cha10

Shield and longsword is spot on. You will want improved initiative as a feat as well as weapon focus

Your stat advances
L4 +1 St
L8 +1 Con
L12 +1 Int (or +1 dex if you want to go dual wielding with the shield)
L 16 +1 St
L20 +1 St

Now if Iwere DM you could reroll this turkey or take 2d3 bonus points but thats just me.

Good luck and welcome to 3e you are going to love it.

Galfridus

First Post
This is what I would do: explanation follows.

M Dwarf Fighter1 CR 1; Size:M Type Humanoid; HD (1d10)+3; hp 13; Init +1 (+1 Dex, +0 Misc); Spd Walk 20'; AC 17 (flatfooted 16, touch 11), Shortbow +2 60'/P (1d6 20/x3 Both M ) or *Waraxe (Dwarven) +4 0'/S (1d10+2 20/x3 Primary M ) or ; SA: Stonecunning,save +2 vs. poison,save +2 vs spells,+4 dodge vs giants,+1 to hit orcs/goblinoids,+2 on Appraise of stone/metal items,+2 on stone/metal Craft check; Vision: Darkvision (60') AL: NG; Sv: Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +0; Str 15, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 8

Skills and Feats: Climb +0, Ride +5; Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe)

Possessions: Scale Mail, Shield (Large/Steel), Shortbow, Waraxe (Dwarven),

--------------------------

Your party lacks an anchor, someone who can hold a position and give the others the safety they need to act.

IMO, a fighter is the best class for this. Barbarians are limited to light armor and their high movement rate encourages them to move a lot; and their rage often distracts them from the duty of protecting the others. Monks have similiar armor/movement issues. Rangers are limited to light armor and lose some of the combat focus in exchange for their wilderness abilities. Paladins work better with higher stats than you have.

Dwarf is a good race for a couple reasons. You get darkvision which is very useful underground, as well as extra HP from the CON increase. The major drawback is a lower movement rate; depending on your DM's style, this may be serious enough to switch to human.

Half-orc is another good option, but I hate playing characters with only 1 skill point per level.

Human is the second best racial choice. The extra skill point and feat can be put to good use, and you get a good movement rate.

The other races don't have the staying power needed for this character.

In order to hold a position, you want high armor class, so a weapon + shield fighting combination is the best call. AC 17 is not too bad for 1st level.

I chose weapon-related feats to give your character some oomph in combat. The Exotic Weapon gives you extra damage right off the bat, and Weapon Focus helps you hit. The other option I would take is Power Attack & Cleave; Power Attack is not useful at low levels, but Cleave is great when fighting lots of little guys.

Here's how I might advance him to 4th level:

--------------------------

M Dwarf Fighter4 CR 4; Size:M Type Humanoid; HD (4d10)+12; hp 41; Init +1 (+1 Dex, +0 Misc); Spd Walk 20'; AC 18 (flatfooted 17, touch 11), Longbow (Masterwork) +6 100'/P (1d8 20/x3 Both M ) or *Waraxe (Dwarven/Masterwork) +9 0'/S (1d10+5 20/x3 Primary M ) or ; SA: Stonecunning,save +2 vs. poison,save +2 vs spells,+4 dodge vs giants,+1 to hit orcs/goblinoids,+2 on Appraise of stone/metal items,+2 on stone/metal Craft check; Vision: Darkvision (60') AL: NG; Sv: Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +1; Str 16, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 8

Skills and Feats: Climb +5, Craft (Stoneworking) +3, Ride +8; Cleave, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Power Attack, Weapon Focuss, Weapon Specialization
Possessions: Breastplate (Masterwork), Longbow (Masterwork), Shield (Large/Steel/Masterwork), Waraxe (Dwarven/Masterwork)

-------------------------------

Not the most well-rounded of characters, but if you are looking to anchor a group he's a good choice.

Remove ads