• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help building a Druid.

DesTT

First Post
Going for a wolf / summoner build. Hengeyokai (fox) Druid.I'd like to have wild shape, but I would also like the maximum number of summons available. Should I go Original Druid, Sentinel, or Protector?

MwaO

Adventurer
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I think Original Druid is best, but if you're going for full-blown summoner, Wizard|Sentinel Hybrids can make for a very strong controller(as your level 6 Druid utility makes up for not having the usual 20 Int...)

DesTT

First Post
In all three cases I will be going as a tanky melee striker / utility. I'm torn between the three subclasses though, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and I dislike the flavor of the weakness in each.

I really like the extra at-will on original druid. Being able to have an at-will against each NAD sounds really good. No heal or cantrips, no 'permanent' companion. But probably still my first choice.
I really like the heal on Sentinel, it would be my second choice, but not having a way to take Wild Shape really bugs me, and no encounter powers might get old after we move on to paragon.
I really like the 'cantrips' on Protector. They have a feat to take Wild Shape, but not having dailies is a deal breaker I think, the whole flavor of the character is about having as many wolves up at once as possible.

MwaO

Adventurer
Well, Sentinel gives you an extra wolf, Druid is a wolf. Depend on PoV.

But Hybrid Sentinel gives you both the wolf and access to Druid encounter powers as you follow the Hybrid Sentinel rules, not the Essentials Sentinel rules...

Hybrid Sentinel|Shaman even gives you a Spirit Companion, who with the hybrid talent feat can be a wolf :)

Fey Beast Tamer is also pretty good for mixing in some more shape-changing/pet stuff regardless of build. Werewolf also works (that would work fine for being a Sentinel and still getting a wolf form).

Frankly though, Sentinel is mechanically weak. Its one of the weaker leaders, and really isn't up to par with the original Druid. I've really never seen the Protector in play, so I can't comment on that one.

Will your GM allow you to have a Companion Character? It is pretty trivial (so long as you're able to expeditiously handle the mental overhead of another character). All the GM has to do is offset each combat encounter budget with an extra of-level Standard worth of XP to accommodate.

My last 1-30 game featured a Druid who was built and rebuilt over the course of the levels but had always had a Companion Character. In one of my more recent games, a Ranger became the alpha of a pack of Dire Wolves. Mechanically, they were 4 of-level Minions (one of-level Standard xp that needed to be offset).

The idea that 4e can't handle the Necro with a bunch of undead servitors or the Beast Lord with an animal pack is rubbish. Just use the Companion Character rules and offset the xp. Done. Now if you have a million PCs, you'll run into the same issues that any other game runs into (potentially bogged play due to one or more participants not being able to expeditiously declare and resolve actions). That isn't unique to 4e (nor unique to 4e with Companion Characters). The player managing her animal companions was able to resolve both her main character and her companion character(s') turn(s) within the span of 90 seconds.

DesTT

First Post
Well, Sentinel gives you an extra wolf, Druid is a wolf. Depend on PoV.

But Hybrid Sentinel gives you both the wolf and access to Druid encounter powers as you follow the Hybrid Sentinel rules, not the Essentials Sentinel rules...

Hybrid Sentinel|Shaman even gives you a Spirit Companion, who with the hybrid talent feat can be a wolf :)

Hmm, that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that! Hybrid sounds tough though. But that is a genius way of getting around the essentials handicaps...

MwaO

Adventurer
Hmm, that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that! Hybrid sounds tough though. But that is a genius way of getting around the essentials handicaps...

18 Dex/18 Wis, wear hide armor = 17 AC, spend Hybrid Talent for Spirit's Power. Done.

Remove ads