• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

need help with a balanced build druid

queldonus

First Post
i just started a new character in a high end game. he's a custom species, an anthromorphic (humanoid) panther. here's the stats for the species.

Size: Medium
HD: 2d8
Level adj: +1
ECL: 3
Str +4 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +0 Wis +4 Cha +0
Skill points: (2+ int mod)*5
Natural weapons: Bite 1d6+3, Claws 1d3+1
Base attack bonus: +2
Natural armor: +1
Base saves: +0 Fort, +3 Ref, +3 Will
Size mod: +0
Preferred Class: Ranger
Speed: land 30ft
Feats: 2
Special abilities: Low light vision(double sight distance in low light)
Darkvision(can see in total darkness 60 feet, b&w only)
Scent(this ability allows the creature to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. creatures with the scent ability can identify familliar odors just as humans recognize familliar sights. the creature can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell if the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet, downwind, 15. strong scents have twice the detecting range. overpowering smells have triple. can pinpoint the source once within 5 feet)

all this is already set, and i've made the character. here's his numbers. like i said, it's a high end game.
Str 17 Dex 24 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 18 Cha 10

it's the forgotten realms setting if that makes any difference.

what i want to do is balance him so he can be an effective fighter with his teeth and claws and be a decent spellcaster. before you tell me i need a weapon for more damage look at the monster manual for an item called beast claws. they are gauntlets that add to the damage of a creature with natural claws i intend to craft some when i hit the proper level.

what i could use some help on are my feats, skills, and spells, and maybe a few ideas for magic items. mainly feats and something to help my armor without killing my dex bonus. i already have Multiattack and Weapon Finesse (a +7 dex mod makes this a no brainer)

now i don't care about having the most effective character possible, i'm doing this for a theme. i just want to be sure he won't be useless.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to post something, and if you need to ask a question, go ahead. i'll be checking it regulary.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
What level Druid are you?

Improved Natural Attack is a 3.5e Feat that improves one of your natural attacks to one die higher (as though you increased in size). You can take it multiple times, and the effects stack. Also, Improved Critical will help you bite and claw more viciously.

Imp Nat Attack x2 brings your Bite from 1d6 to 2d6, and another four applications of Imp Nat Attack brings your Claws from 1d3 to 2d6. IMHO, it's smartest to improve the Bite, and use normal weapons in your hands.

Obviously, you're going to be casting "Greater Magic Fang" on yourself often. Since you can only affect one natural weapon, again choose the Bite.

Consider this: unlike most other characters, you are armed and threaten a 5' area even when using a bow or a reach weapon (like a longspear).

-- N

jgsugden

Legend
Your Level Adjustment is too low. Your pather is stronger than the anthropomorphic dog and that has a LA of 2. I'd say your panther should be +3.

As for fighting ability, once you can wildshape, your own physical abilities will be weaker than the natural attacks of the forms you can adopt. Pick feats that work with other forms.

Natural spell is a good choice for when you get the ability to wildshape.

Combat reflexes can be very useful when you are of very large size and take a form with a high dexterity.

Many animal forms have high strength. Power attack and cleave are nice additions.

One problem many druids face is a lack of AC. It may be worthwhile to pick up combat expertise.

I am also a fan of quicken spell for a druid. You do not get many spell slots, but being able fire off quickened spells (provoking no AoO) while in combat can be very useful.

queldonus

First Post
i'm level 3, and that is with no class levels. i'm just trying to plan ahead.
greater magic fang actually works on all a creature's natural weapons. i suppose i should look into getting that one permantly enchanted to me.

does improved natural attack apply when you're using wild shape?

queldonus

First Post
apparently my reply didn't take. i am level 3 and that is with no class levels

greater magic fang applys to all natural weapons. i suppose i should look into getting that made permanant once i can cast it.

my claws are considered primary, if that makes any differences.

does improved natural atack apply when wild shifted?

Benben

First Post
Nifft said:
Improved Natural Attack is a 3.5e Feat that improves one of your natural attacks to one die higher (as though you increased in size). You can take it multiple times, and the effects stack.

I think you may have confused the the retaking aspect with Improved Natural Armor.

SRD said:
IMPROVED NATURAL ARMOR [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Natural armor, Con 13.
Benefit: The creature’s natural armor bonus increases by 1.
Special: A creature can gain this feat multiple times. Each time the creature takes the feat its natural armor bonus increases by another point.

IMPROVED NATURAL ATTACK [GENERAL]
Prerequisite: Natural weapon, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit: Choose one of the creature’s natural attack forms. The damage for this natural weapon increases by one step, as if the creature’s size had increased by one category: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6.
A weapon or attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.

Since Imp. Nat. Attack has no special comment, it can only be taken once.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Benben said:
Since Imp. Nat. Attack has no special comment, it can only be taken once.

Please explain this line from your quoted text:

A weapon or attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.

If it could only be taken once, why more than one value after the 1d10?

AdvaTHANKSnce, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
queldonus said:
greater magic fang applys to all natural weapons.

You either get +X to one natural weapon, or +1 to all natural weapons. (Usually X > 1.)

queldonus said:
my claws are considered primary, if that makes any differences.

Panthers treat their bite as primary, so you're not really emulating the animal. (Panthers use the Leopard entry in the MM -- see the Leopard description.)

If your claws are primary, why are you only getting 1/2 Str bonus on them? Typically, secondary attacks get 1/2 Str (and -5 attack bonus), while primary attacks get either 1 or 3/2 Str bonus.

-- N

queldonus

First Post
hmmm i think i have a problem

claws are primary because the dm and i decided it. i didn't think about the str bonus thing. i'll have to talk to him.

Remove ads