• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Help with a Warlock Build

RookSeven

First Post
I'm fairly new to the world of D&D (3.5) & our group recently had a mishap with a Deck of Many Things. There was some...unpleasantness, we can never use them again. :uhoh: My last character was a LV4 Barbarian/Fighter, but I wanted to try something different. So while I was checking out some books the Warlock caught my eye. Anyway I made up my character the other day & I wanted the opinions of people who know what the heck they're doing. So I've posted my character below & if anyone has some better suggestions (which I'm imagining won't be hard to do :D) I want to make a Warlock who has 4,500exp & 2,500gp to spend. Any advice would be most appriciated, & since this is my first time posting here if I did something incorrectly then I apologize in advance.

Warlock (3)
Human
Lawful Evil
Str (13), Dex (17), Con (16), Int (14), Wis (10), Cha (18)
(I was considering putting my LV4 point into Dex to get that bonus point)
AC (18), Touch (13), Flat-Footed (14)
Fortitude (5), Reflex (5), Will (4)
Invocations (2):
Hideous Blow (I wanted to be prepared to not provoke AoA's & this was the only way that
I could think of to do it)
See the Unseen (We've been in a lot of caves & I'm sick of torches, plus we've had
more than a few invisible creature recently)
(I was also considering my next Invocation to be Earthen Grasp in order to hold back
my opponent's so I could hit them more easily, plus to assist my allies)
FEATs (3): Able Learner (I really like this one since I'm Skills happy), Point Blank Shot, Rapid
Shot (I'd like to take this for the bonus attack I believe that it would give for my
Eldritch Blasts, but I don't know if I'm really capable of using this FEAT, but I assumed
that since you can use Point Blank Shot & since I didn't read the same restrictions to it
Many Shot has that it would be okay to use, but if I'm wrong I'd like to know)
(I wanted my next FEAT, LV4, to be Concentration)

Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, Goblin & Orc (any suggestions to useful languages
would also be appreciated)

Equipment:
Hammer
Piton (4)
Net
Canvas (5 yards)
{I use the above to make a hammock, he doesn't like to sleep on the ground;
The canvas is for when it's raining} :D
Backpack
Rations
Spell Book (Blank)
Chain Shirt
Masterwork Short Sword
Ring of Protection +1

Vargo

First Post
Rapid shot can't be used in conjunction with Eldritch Blast; Eldritch Blast is a Standard Action and cannot be used as part of a full attack.

JimAde

First Post
Nice stats.

Concentration is not a feat. Do you mean Combat Casting or Skill Focus(Concentration). For the record I recommend the Skill Focus over Combat Casting.

I'm not positive, but I think Hideous Blow still provokes an AoO. I seem to remember seeing it in the FAQ. With your dex wouldn't you rather attack at range anyway? I'd go with Eldritch Spear and other archer-like feats. As Vargo says, Rapid Shot won't do you any good with your blasts, but Far Shot, Precise Shot and all that good stuff applies.

Drowbane

First Post
Rapid Shot doesn't work with Eldritch Blast. Precise Shot is a great alternative though, but not really needed. A ranged touch at -4 in melee is still a ranged *touch* attack. Meaning you shouldn't be bother too much with the penalty. Especially not at lvl 4 with an 18 Dex.

Hideous Blow is still a Spell-like Ability, and thus will still provoke AoO. Combat Casting will help you "cast defensively" to get off your HB... personally I'd take Eldritch Spear.

Seen the Unseen is a great Invocation. At your level, it shouldn't be needed quite yet, but I don't know your DM's style. Remember, every time you learn a new Invocation, you can trade out an invocation for a new one. (example: lvl 6 you learn your first Lesser, you trade out Baleful Utterance for See the Unseen... and take Voracious Dispelling as your Lesser)

Baleful Utterance is one of the nastier least Invocations. Spider Walk is nice for keeping out of Melee. Eventually you will want Devil's Sight or See the Unseen.

Ability Focus from MM is an excellent Feat for Warlocks. Anyways, hope this was helpful.

Taloras

First Post
Devil's Sight + Darkness is kinda nice, although darkness now only gives a 20% miss chance. thats still quite useful. Especially when the enemies have decided to pepper the group with arrows(i found this out first game i played the character). Eldritch spear is nice, especially with precise shot.

Octal40

Explorer
Why Lawful Evil? I noticed you mentioned using Earthen Grasp to aid your allies. You could be Chaotic Good (or Chaotic Neutral) if you prefer.

brehobit

Explorer
OK,

First of all, as noted, your stats are very very good. This makes things a lot easier in some ways, but as a warlock has less need for stats than some classes, it may actually hurt you in comparison to your peers. I'd argue that Dex is more important than Chr, but by 4th level they will be tied so no biggy...

As someone noted, H.B. does provoke AoOs. The old FAQ said that it didn't, but that was fixed. So if you want to use HB I'd suggest you find a reach weapon and use that as your main weapon (so you don't provoke) Dropping it and drawing a normal weapon if you have to.

For your 3rd Invokation, I'd suggest one of the EB boosters. Either E. Spear or one of the ones that makes your target take a save or get penalties. Let's face it, if your stats are normal for your group, 2d6 damage is going to suck compared to what the fighters can do. (by 4th level I'd expect to see then doing 16ish points per round. You will be doing 7).

I'd actually suggest multi-classing early. My barbarian 1/warlock 7 lives off of the barbarian level. The skills, the +10 movement (which also adds +10 to your fly speed if you take the Invokation) and the rage (when really low on hit points mainly) as well as the hit points, and martial weapons more than pay for the one level down in Warlock. Another good one is the rogue/warlock with only a bit of warlock (probably not past 3rd). The ability to see inviso and have dark vision is just huge. And a ranged touch attack is always a nice thing to have at the start of combat (when folks are flat footed). Depends on how high of a level you are going.

As far as feats go: Extra Invokation is really nice. Point blank shot is one of the only ways in increase your damage AND the +1 to hit is really handy. WP: exotic for a spiked chain can be helpful if you are going to take H.B. And if you are going with the reach weapon, combat reflexes can be nice. Able learner is also helpful. At higher levels (say 12th or so) a magic crafting feat is almost a must in my opinion.

Finally, max out UMD as a first priority. Warlocks, IME, use it all the time. And consider starting with a wand of CLW. Really handy...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads