• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with my monk

talwynor

First Post
So I'm playing a monk for the first time and have hime to level 4. I'm not very comfortable with the character, but I have about 1500 gold burning a hole in my pocket and Im looking to buy a new shiny. Any thoughts on required gear (up to 5th level) for the guy?

He's a half orc with Thirst for Battle, Unarmored agility and Iron will for feats. He has the monastic tradition and stone fist. Defenses are AC 21, Fort 16, Ref 18 and Will 17. Mianstay attacks are Cranes wings, Five Storms and Open the Gates of Battle.

Id appreciate the input!

jester_gl

First Post
If you can retrain a feat I would replace this iron will with either improved defense or superior will if essential feat are available.

As for your purchase, I would start with a necklace if you don't already have one, and probably a ki weapon (+2 to your flurry of blow damage) and possibly acrobat boots (level 2, stand up from prone as a minor action).

tiornys

Explorer
Highest priority: +1 ki focus of some variety.
Next highest priority: +1 armor and +1 neck slot items.

If those are covered, probably the most attractive low level items are Acrobat Boots and Gauntlets of Blood. Demonskin Tattoo is also quite nice. If your Str is high enough to make your melee basic attack decent, Counterstrike Guards are a nice arm slot item, although you might want to hold out for Iron Armbands of Power at 6th.

t~

Mengu

First Post
Things like stats, and what items you already have would be helpful, as well as any house rule bonus feats and the like.

KaasManiak

First Post
I've build a monk to (lvl 12 at the moment)

I gave him improved defences and iron will at the first levels.

Later on i got feats like "superior implement training"

My strenght is the following:
I use a frost dagger as my implement, so i give frost damage.
The feat "lasting frost" gives the enemy vulnerable 5 cold.
The feat "Wintertouched" gives me CA to enemies which have vulnerable cold.

It's a nice thing to work to when you level up.

Doesn't mean you have to though ^^

I think the monk is a underrated character choice, but they have to potential to do great things, i can assure you that!

jester_gl

First Post
Some little advice I gathered among my way as a monk.

For maximum damage, 2 weapon is advisable. Crashing tempest style gives a bonus to flurry while wielding a club (ki club). Off-hand +1 rhythm dagger (lvl 3 item) gives you a shield bonus to AC and Ref. If rhythm is not permitted (set item) then subtle is good too and works on off-hand.

At paragon the most damaging feat you can take is starblade flurry, which requires a dagger in one hand.

If you have the choice of doing big damage to one prime target or spread some damage around 2-3 useless bob/minions, go after the prime target. The only good monster is a dead monster. If you can damage 2-3 targets while including the prime one, then go ahead, the numbers will look impressive.

Try to have the highest defenses possible. You will be surrounded (in fact you love it) but dead striker deals no damage. Every hit that miss you because you have even higher defense than the tank is good. And if monsters (the DM) starts ignoring you, then start maximizing your opportunity attack (which are good because you have strength).

Ki focus expertise is the one you want. Even if you don't have a magic ki focus yet, any weapon you are proficient with count as a ki focus. Another feat for when you have extra laying around is accurate ki focus proficiency. You can never have too much +to-hit.

Have fun and kick ass.

KaasManiak

First Post
Question about my monk:

I've got a argument with my dm over the following:

My monk uses a dagger as implement.

Does this mean i hit them with a dagger, or with my bare hands?

drothgery

First Post
Question about my monk:

I've got a argument with my dm over the following:

My monk uses a dagger as implement.

Does this mean i hit them with a dagger, or with my bare hands?
If you do a melee basic attack, you can attack with either.
If you attack with a monk attack power, they're all implement powers, so you can describe the attack however you wish (though you have to have your dagger -- or any implement other than a Ki Focus or Holy Symbol -- in one hand to use it as an implement); it's completely flavor whether you hit your opponent with your hands or your dagger (the dagger's magic properties will affect your attacks either way, and neither the dagger's proficiency bonus nor its d4 damage die affect implement attacks).

marelion

First Post
I`m not 100% sure, if I got your point correctly. I guess, you should look at the following paragraph:

"You can also use a weapon with which you have
proficiency as an implement. When wielding the
weapon as an implement, the weapon's character
istics-proficiency bonus, damage die, and weapon
properties like defensive or high crit-are irrelevant to
your implement powers." (quoted from PHB 3, p.64)

So, it is basically up to you to describe it whether your monk kicks the crap out of the baddies or if her prefers to stab them with his prolongated kitchen knife. The rules aren`t clear about the use of weapons and monk attacks, i.e. if you use your weapon to attack while you still kick and punch him or if the damage and the effects rélated to the the power are the result of your weapon usage.

That is how far I can agree with drothgery, but it also states that properties granted by magic wepons do not apply to monk implement powers. Either there is an erratum I haven`t seen yet* or I have to correct Drothgery at this point.

At last, regarding your question, I have never found any evidence proving one or the other theory. Maybe the wizards have already released a statement in the Dragon Magazines, but since I´m no subscriber I can`t tell. So, if anyone should know better, go ahead and correct me.

Maybe one could argue that due to the fact that your weapons characteristics do not apply the monk simply wields his weapons for defensive use (so long as you do not use the Crushing Tempest Style or the like, in which case I would argue you defintely use your weapon to attack since otherwise there would be no need for the requirement line).

It`s simply a grey area due to sub-optimal wording. I hope this still helps to resolve your arguement.

*due to the fact I have never played or DMed a monk this is actually quite possible

Last edited:

Remove ads