D&D 5E Need last-minute advice on tracking time in non-combat when characters are running against the clock...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yes, to a point. But there are many times when we fast forward for narrative effect. Searching a large room covered in debris and lots of statuary and furniture is going to take longer for the characters than the players are going to want to role play. Players state they search the room, how through they would like to search, where they may want to focus first, etc. I determine the rolls needed and the time it takes.

designbot

Explorer
If you're marking time in 10-minute increments (traditionally, "turns" in old-school D&D), then tracking anything smaller than that just complicates things. Combat? 10 minutes. Exploring a room? 10 minutes. Trying to break down a door or pick a lock? 10 minutes. You're rounding in the usual warm up and warm down stuff that doesn't get totally roleplayed.

Because there are consequences for taking more time, you can allow multiple attempts to complete a task, each taking 10 minutes. This automatically makes the DC relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

was

Adventurer
...I'd second the vote for using 10 minute real time increments. It's easier to manage and still maintains that urgency factor.

designbot

Explorer
To be clear, if you treat the whole thing at the same scale as combat (i.e. 6 seconds to move 30' or take one action), it would probably be very difficult to fill even the first hour.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads