• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Ridiculous Monster

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Have them encounter a seemingly ordinary hamster. He's awakened, speaks Common, and is the same level as the party. However all his levels are in Monk, so he's not much of a threat.

This critter is actually a Miniature Giant Space Hamster. His older brother is not miniature. He's a full-fledged Giant Space Hamster, the size and strength of a dire bear, with Barbarian levels.

If you want even more danger you could have the brother be one of the rarer GSH varieties. They range from simple stuff like Saber-Toothed Giant Space Hamsters up through Two-Headed Lernean Giant Space Pyro-Hamster. Then there's the legendary Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen: a unique, highly intelligent, Colossal-sized demigod, named Wooly Rupert.

taferial

First Post
I always liked the idea of a gelatenous cube - Mummy.

I imagine it looking like a stock cube with a bandage wrapper.

Listen check please... "you hear a hollow 'plunk plunk plunk' of something comeing down the corridor towards the party, the sound oddly reminds you of someone rolling dice."

I have no idea if it could work, but I like the idea of the party makeing gravey with it after they defeat it.

zypherillius

First Post
my brother has a thing...

my brother has a bit of a fetish with twigblights. i forget which mm theyre in, but he applied the titanic template to a twigblight, all i remember is it had 420 hit points.
the little one could call in the big one, a 5x5 twigblight is quite a site to behold.

Henry

Autoexreginated
zypherillius said:
my brother has a bit of a fetish with twigblights. i forget which mm theyre in, but he applied the titanic template to a twigblight, all i remember is it had 420 hit points.
the little one could call in the big one, a 5x5 twigblight is quite a site to behold.

Isn't that an Ent in twigblight's clothing?

I like the flumph idea, myself, and didn't WotC have somewhere on its site both a Monk Gelatinous Cube and a Flumph with Sorcerer levels posted?

qstor

Adventurer
IIRC there was a 3.0 Dragon Magazine April issue with a gummy bear golem... :)

If you're using Puffenstuff how about a talking flute as treasure :)

Mike

werk

First Post
I'm fond of the really evil looking creature being completely good and with a heart of gold...but the party runs up and kills him before they find that out and get in a lot of trouble.

As far as silly, the oddest game that I played in was way way back in middle school. The DM continually sent me against ludicirous (pr. lude-ick-er-us) animals with save or fail abilities that tore me up. Packs of rubber rabbits, bouncy bunnies that have the midas touch, except rubber rather than gold. :) :) :) :) -eating dogs, cute little puppies that give you random diseases when you touch them.

And I always loved the half-falling-through-the-wooden-bridge-full-of-rot-grubs routine.

Edit: I just remembered a one shot I did for a group a while back. Alien invasion. Skiny little greys stealing spellcasting abilities and generally messing with the group's head. I put them all in a large old forest and gave the aliens light sources that were designed to look just like the willowisps that plagued the area...big soft glowing green ball. After the party got zapped repeatedly by the W-o-Ws, chasing them over quicksand, cliffs, pit traps, into nasty vermin lairs, stuff like that, they party wasn't interested in chasing them anymore.
I gave the grays a device, I called it a hex stik because it was a black plastic hexogonally shaped rod, that casts a seriously beefed up version of hypnotic pattern...unusable by non-aliens (I called them Flit). The flit would hit the party with it and either flee or abduct and flee. They use it on whomever is sitting watch and after the party caster gets abducted, probed, and returned, he figures out he's lost all magical ability. Party has to find the flit, their invisible spacecraft that is hovering over the big blue lake in the middle of the forest, figure out a way inside, then try to repair their friend's magic using alien technology and maybe give some magic back to the crazy paladin that is running maniacally around the forest talking about lights in the sky and little green men.
...That was a fun one.

Last edited:

Mystaros

First Post
The room has a sweet little girl, with big soulful eyes. She's just a normal girl, dressed in Greek-style clothing. Her room is decorated like a noble girl's room would be.

She's very smart, and curious about the adventurers. If they cause trouble, she calls out for mom.

Mom is a fiendish medusa. The girl is, in fact, her daughter, from before she was cursed into fiendish medusa form.

Remove ads