• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need some ideas...

Ashe

First Post
I am starting a campaign from 1st level. One of the characters is going to be an elven ranger(yes he knows it's cliche, but it is what he really wants to play). I am going to do a couple one-shots with each character so that way I can introduce the hook on an individual basis that way the group all has a reason to be together.

Now what I need some ideas on is what would an elven males rite of passage be? His character is going to be of age in a wood elf type society and I am going to have there be about a week long "test". This will test, patience, mercy, resourcefulness, battle prowess(of course), and anything else I can think of. What type of test do you all think would be the best? Or at least what type of test for patience, mercy, etc would you think be the best. I have some ideas, but I want to see what you all think as well.

Just so you know the hook will be introduced as he is away on his test.

Thanks in advance.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Travel from point A to B back to A - at B the character has to gather something to bring back to prove he/she was there.

America Indians and Irish Clansmen was horse gathering/theft, they were given number of days, sent out and had to return with a horse, the more horses the better. If they were stealing horse and caught, they were beat and sent on their way but they could try again! It should be noted that this was expected and it was set up that no one got too hurt and that sometime some would look the other way. :)

It is like a panty raid.

I would use gathering a rock from a special place.

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
some plaisn indians (if i am not mistaken) had a tradition called "counting coup." a young man would carry a stick and would sneak up to members of neighboring tribes and smack the tar out of them with it.

the point wasn't to place a lethal blow, but to show you had the cojones to do it. the shorter the stick, the manlier the man.

perchance something similar, but involving humanoids or a eman animal?

Sanackranib

First Post
survival for a week with nothing but a loincloth and knife. the character must come back fed and clothed and bring food back for the clan.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It is important to remember that 'coming of age' and 'naming quest' were not meant to be dangerous enough to kill the person, just test their skills, knowledge and to provide a feeling of accomplishment. Failure, at the task/quest meant that your training would continue until the next time.

Ashe

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
It is important to remember that 'coming of age' and 'naming quest' were not meant to be dangerous enough to kill the person, just test their skills, knowledge and to provide a feeling of accomplishment. Failure, at the task/quest meant that your training would continue until the next time.

That is a good point, I'll have to remember that.

Thanks, and if you all think of anything else, please keep the ideas coming.

One of the ideas I was thinking of was having the character travel to where a Treant lived and gather one of his leaves. This would be significant because as a baby this character went with his father to "plant" this tree, so there would be some connection, but he would have to convince the treant to let him have a leaf.

Just a thought.

Verdigris

First Post
Roleplaying survival in the woods for a week with nothing but a knife would need to be juiced up pretty good or your new player will get a crash course in roleplaying shivering, running from large woodland mammals, and moaning from hunger. Still, it is probably a fairly accurate rite of passage for Indians and Irishmen, but I don't see how Elves fit here particularly. I guess such details depend on your world.

Since its tough for my group to meet regularly, I just pulled a group together -- which included an elven ranger -- by writing a couple of pages of background story that justified each player's place in the party. This worked well and was logistically easier for us. The elven ranger's purpose in the adventure was to slay a mean half-Drow Cleric of Elemental Evil. The ranger was part of a secret society of wood elves that hated drow. (his favored enemy was, of course, drow elf)

Last edited:

Larry Fitz

First Post
A week is a blink of an eye for an elf. For a true test of Elven patience, give him two apple seeds, two wheat seeds, an egg, and a bee, and tell him to come back with a pie... and an orc...

Seriously, Elves strike me as wise and accepting and patient. The real test would be to come to the conclusion that the test is meaningless, all things come into their own in their own time, at least from an Elvish perspective. So the character could be given any number of esoteric tasks. The real test is does he learn from them what the true measure of his passing into adulthood is? That he must be responsible for his own welfare and that of his people and lands.

Just a thought...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads