D&D 5E Need to roll a new character, looking for suggestions.

Did the GM give you a reason? Or is he trying to force you to play a certain class without actually saying so?

Yes he gave somewhat of a reason.. and it wasn't to force me into another class.. I just take it he really didn't like the Stormborn Sorc for reasons.. *shrug* NBD

Pretty sure a Sage Advice article nixed the idea of wielding two hand-crossbows John Woo style. Ignoring the loading property doesn't eliminate the need for a free hand to actually load it, it just removes the "One attack per round" restriction. What you *can* do is hold a single hand crossbow and fire it multiple times per turn. You're probably better off just using a Longbow or Heavy Crossbow. Which of the two feats you mentioned to take probably depends on which you're more worried about, firing INTO melee or firing while IN melee. If the whole point of the character is ranged DPS, my gut says use a Longbow and take Sharpshooter. You'll have Cunning Action to Disengage as long as you're not completely surrounded. And keep in mind, those auto-crits from Assassin only apply if your target is surprised. Though at Rogue 3 your Sneak Attack damage is actually 2d6.

What Warlock cantrips were you looking to take?

well damn, no John Woo? well then I am leaning toward Longbow and Sharpshooter myself.. I'll be firing INTO melee, hopefully. Yeah I caught that Sneak attack being 2d6 sometime after my post.

I had thought Blade Ward and True Strike, but the way True Strike reads I might have to give that one up. It's concentration AND says attack on the next turn.. so not as a reaction or anything.. leaves me with probably Blade Ward and Prestidigitation (because that is always useful and no concentration required) with level one Warlock spell obviously being Hex.

KE gives me 2 wizard Cantrips, likely to be Message and Mending and 4 level One wizard spells, thinking Mage Armor, Shield, Witch Bolt (maybe Magic Missile instead) and Find Familiar.

Why Find Familiar? a reason to have my 5 y/o have a character to play that she doesn't have to stick around all the time for.

the rest of the spells are generally there for defense, not offense. I got that covered yo. Gotta keep the Concentration for Hex. I know Witch Bolt is Concentration spell though, sooooo probably gonna ax that sweet thing for MM.. all the wizard spells have to be abjuration or evocation except one..

MacMind

First Post
KE gives me 2 wizard Cantrips, likely to be Message and Mending and 4 level One wizard spells, thinking Mage Armor, Shield, Witch Bolt (maybe Magic Missile instead) and Find Familiar.

Hmm, I'd nix Mage Armour because you already have access to medium (heavy if fighter taken at first level) armour as a fighter. Instead, my suggestion would be to get UA Elemental Evil's Absorb Elements. It is a reaction spell similar to shield, but against fire, lightning, acid, cold. An essential spell. As for magic missile, you may also like to consider Protection from Good and Evil. Situational, but VERY useful when needed, which is quite common around the level you are playing. Both of these spells suggested are from the Abjuration school. Good luck with it.

Hmm, I'd nix Mage Armour because you already have access to medium (heavy if fighter taken at first level) armour as a fighter. Instead, my suggestion would be to get UA Elemental Evil's Absorb Elements. It is a reaction spell similar to shield, but against fire, lightning, acid, cold. An essential spell. As for magic missile, you may also like to consider Protection from Good and Evil. Situational, but VERY useful when needed, which is quite common around the level you are playing. Both of these spells suggested are from the Abjuration school. Good luck with it.

Heavy and Medium armor are not your friend when stealthing.. and this character is built around stealth, which is why I thought Mage Armor might be a good idea. Your recommendation of Absorb Elements is an excellent idea though.. so I'll have to think about it.

MacMind

First Post
Heavy and Medium armor are not your friend when stealthing.. and this character is built around stealth, which is why I thought Mage Armor might be a good idea.

Well, a breast plate doesn't affect stealth, and gives a +4 to AC. But the trade off is that you can only get +2 to AC for your dex, which is presumably high and something to consider. The Medium Armour Mastery feat allows half plate (if you can afford it) with +3 for dex and no disadvantage to stealth. It will also save you expending a spell slot or 2 for Mage Armour every day...slots which are in short supply.

Well, a breast plate doesn't affect stealth, and gives a +4 to AC. But the trade off is that you can only get +2 to AC for your dex, which is presumably high and something to consider. The Medium Armour Mastery feat allows half plate (if you can afford it) with +3 for dex and no disadvantage to stealth. It will also save you expending a spell slot or 2 for Mage Armour every day...slots which are in short supply.

I didn't realize this edition had armor above light with no penalty to stealth. The problem with playing for 30 years with a reading disability.. rules change, get garbled in your head and you can't understand the new ones, or you just don't look because you think you know them.

I'm at +4 Dex mod so 17 AC with Mage Armor. 16 with the Breastplate suggestion of yours. I can't afford a feat for medium armor mastery nor the half plate, which I find insane that there is no stealth penalty for.

spells were mostly for defense in this build so 1 cast of mage armor a day isn't hurting me. Worth the extra AC IMO. I appreciate your insight, every point is looked at and considered.

and no, I have no idea why I can read the forums posts and follow them so much easier than the books.. font size or type maybe?

Dasem

First Post
Honestly, I haven't gone through all the pages, but I'd like to suggest Bard.

I was the "Gotta do high damage and kill things quickly" guy. Then I forced myself to play a Bard to try to see the other side. And it's amazing. I'm Lore, but go Valor if you're looking to stretch your spell slots or dish out damage instead of debut/control.

Think about it; Valor gets two attacks and, thanks to Magical Secrets, access to class-exclusive spells from Ranger and Paladin before actual Rangers and Paladins get them.

Valor Bard with Swift Quiver is deadly. Especially when you consider the other magical tricks a Bard can pull off. Couple that with Expertise, and have Charisma, and you're easily one of the most damaging and most versatile characters in the game. And Inspiration can turn misses into hits, and your group will love you for it.

If you're worried about being a "Oh great I have to sing and dance..." character, say screw that. Class doesn't necessarily dictate character behavior. I've played gentleman Barbarians and meathead brofist Wizards, you can Bard out with your heart out any way you want.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If stealth is your friend, there's always the Arcane Trickster rogue. Slap on Half-Elf for two free skill proficiencies.

I also always advocate Bard. Bard is (very close to) the new CODzilla. ^_^

I'm not a "Gotta do High damage and kill things quickly" guy.. but OTOH and when the rest of the group is doing that it can be a bit disheartening if you aren't contributing what they feel is a good amount.

I've played Bards before, in fact my "biggest" character ever played was a 2nd Edition bard. Larger than life character, much loved by the party and the only time I have ever seen a player actually cry when a character that wasn't theirs died. The whole room was getting dusty. I refused to let the GM get a Rez in on him, because it was too epic. I have never played a Bard after that.

Vicaring

First Post
Fairly bog standard suggestions, IMO.

Do something different. You say your DM suggests ranged DPS? You say neither your Paladin or Monk front-men are very good at what they do?

There is an answer: Variant Human, Sentinel Feat, Spears and Shield, Purple Dragon Knight/Swashbuckler.

Dump Dexterity. Dexterity is for little girls who don't know how to take a hit. Put everything in Strength/Constitution. Stand proud knowing you're the best point-man the team has, and you can also be ranged DPS support when necessary. Profit and Win.

EDIT: OR Champion/Swashbuckler. Get Defensive Fighting Style and then Dungeon Shooter, or vice versa.

Last edited:

Remove ads