Netflix Luke Cage Review (Spoilers allowed now :))

I think that was all very much build up to the Defenders Crossover when all four shows will converge. Apparently the line up after Luke Cage is Iron Fist - Defenders - DD 3 - Punisher. Theres a whole 'Heroes for Hire' spin coming through Luke Cage which is kinda neat
That sounds like it could be great.. or greatly frustrating. Netflix has a 6 month schedule for their shows. Ironfist isn't coming out until March 2017. That means the rest of the shows are going to be far off. I may not live to see it with a hurricane barreling down on Florida this week. Damn it, Netflix!!!!

It was fun seeing Turk pop up. I like the continuity between it and the other Marvel shows, and the references to "the Incident".
I like that they had Turk, but he felt a bit underused. I wish they had done a little more with him.

I quite enjoy the differing views of power between Cottonmouth and his sister. Really, Cottonmouth is interesting in a way Fisk was not, being both dark and likable. And how he actually cares about people rather than just being eeeevil. He's the more human of the two Netflix crime bosses. Shades is also pretty fun, also exuding menace while also drifting occasionally into likability.
I thought Cottonmouth was an awesome character. I liked him. I wasn't a fan of Shades. He just didn't do it for me. He seems like a character that is supposed to be significant, but he never really reaches that potential. I'm hoping they develop him better in season 2, which will probably be released September of 2069 or something.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
whereas JJ and DD were far more 'niche' characters ie JJ as rape survivor dealing with her trauma and DD as righteous Vigilante.

DD I'll give you as niche. Not many lawyers out there looking to bust heads.

But JJ? The Center for Disease Control did a study in 2011, which suggests that about 20% of women are raped at some point in their lives, and some 44% suffer that, or some other form of sexual violence. That's not niche any more - that's mainstream. It is something many women can personally relate to, and something that pretty much all women fear. In terms of ability of a population to relate to her issue (or the metaphor the show presents) this is not some obscure case.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
DD I'll give you as niche. Not many lawyers out there looking to bust heads.

But JJ? The Center for Disease Control did a study in 2011, which suggests that about 20% of women are raped at some point in their lives, and some 44% suffer that, or some other form of sexual violence. That's not niche any more - that's mainstream. It is something many women can personally relate to, and something that pretty much all women fear. In terms of ability of a population to relate to her issue (or the metaphor the show presents) this is not some obscure case.

Great point. Definitely far from a niche character in that regard.

Thinking on it, the only thing niche about the rest of her character is that it's packaged in a female character. The hard drinking, cynical, badass investigator is...not exactly a rare character. Nor is the reluctantly heroic a-hole with a soft spot for kicked puppies they try to deny, or the loner whose only friends stay friends because they believe she can be better.

I mean, I can't really think of anything about her that isn't relatable to some sizable portion of the populace, and plenty that's very familiar to pretty much any audience.

And obviously she resonates, because she's always been a hugely popular character.

Very true. I don't think you [need] to watch JJ to get Luke Cage, but it does make the timeline slightly more concrete, explains why he is in Harlem, etc.

It's definitely great TV. It touches on some current issues, which may be off-putting to some, but I found it quite good.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It was rreally, really refreshing (for lack of a stronger word ATM), to watch a show that treated that topic with genuine seriousness and understanding of what survivors deal with, and how perpetrators refuse to even understand what they've done, much less take responsibility for it.

And, more satisfying than it maybe should have been to watch the...resolution of that conflict.

But it was also frustrating to watch the internet start shipping them (I have a friend who had a major anxiety attack after getting death threats in her ask box on tumblr from MRAs who ship JJ/Kilgrave, after she made a fairly tame post about it being a toxic ship/it being not ok to ship a rapist and their victim), and I didn't really dig how the entire season was so much about Kilgrave. I think a solid two episodes before he showed up at all would have greatly improved the show, as would 1 or 2 fewer episodes overall.

But I also think DD S1 could have been a good 2 episodes shorter with nothing really lost.

Ryujin

Legend
That sounds like it could be great.. or greatly frustrating. Netflix has a 6 month schedule for their shows. Ironfist isn't coming out until March 2017. That means the rest of the shows are going to be far off. I may not live to see it with a hurricane barreling down on Florida this week. Damn it, Netflix!!!!

Have you ever seen "Fanboys"? If you're convincing enough, maybe they'll let you see it early ;)

Derren

Hero
Watched it, but didn't find it to be that interesting.

Harlem was too stereotypical as that I would have liked or cared about it. And there was no real suspense. When you have a invulnerable guy fighting ghetto gangsters its not really much of a contest. And if you take away his invulnerability you have a generic "Guy wants to save his community from gangster" series which I have seen so often already.

And I do not really see how this fits into the MU. Sure, I know what they are going for with JJ, DD and LC. But with SHIELD being reinstated and the Sakovia Accords in effect Cage is way too open with his power, no way they wouldn't have picked him up by now.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
And I do not really see how this fits into the MU. Sure, I know what they are going for with JJ, DD and LC. But with SHIELD being reinstated and the Sakovia Accords in effect Cage is way too open with his power, no way they wouldn't have picked him up by now.

The timelines not clear so I'm going with the idea that Lukes story happens just before or in parallel to 'Civil War' which means 1) the Sokovia Accord isn't in effect 2) SHIELD is still recovering and 3) all of their resources are being dedicated to the Avengers break up.

whats more pertinent is that The Incident still looms large in public consciousness yet nobody in Harlem seems to remember Hulk and Abomination's "Harlem Terror"

Ryujin

Legend
whats more pertinent is that The Incident still looms large in public consciousness yet nobody in Harlem seems to remember Hulk and Abomination's "Harlem Terror"

That's because they actually tore up Yonge Street in Toronto, right in front of my day job, not Harlem ;)

That production is too far back in time (and not so great), so it's not current canon.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Daredevil and Jessica Jones. It takes about 4 episodes before the show hits its stride, and it focuses less on Luke and his abilities and instead on the urban drama happening within Harlem.

The show has a cool Grindhouse/Blaxploitation feel to it that is kind of charming for the first half of the season. However, it kind of gets in the way in the latter half. It did do a really good job of setting pieces in place for The Defenders. I liked Cottonmouth, but the second half of the season felt weak to me (I don't want to reveal why because spoiler). As others mentioned before, Harlem itself was a character, and I really liked its presence within the story, weaving and influencing the various point of views. Theo Rossi's "Shades" was absolutely delightful.

I think what I have really been enjoying about the Netflix/Marvel shows are the strong and interesting villains. David Tennant's Kilgrave was phenomenal, and Vincent D'onofrio's Wilson Fisk was nothing short of magnificent. Daredevil season 2 did not have a strong villain, I think, and Luke Cage suffered from a similar problem. Shades, I think, could make a very strong villain if Luke Cage goes to Season 2.

Overall, it was decent. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Remove ads