Netflix Luke Cage Review (Spoilers allowed now :))

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In some cities, Barber shops are where some older men like to get together to talk, while beauty salons fit the same needs for older women. Think of the popularity of old Paris salons in the late 18th century, carried on to modern times in a small way.

The second half of the show were full of plot holes, same as in Daredevil season 2.

I've been doing some really fascinating reading about the social role of the Barber Shop in Black American communities. As I understand it, the history in a nutshell is that following the abolition of slavery Barber was the only skilled trade where Black men were able to set up their own businesses and generally do well. Many would cut the hair of white clients during opening hours and then black clients after hours. Many of these Barbers had the ear of white politicians and became very wealthy in their own right which allowed them to reinvest in their communities. Apparently Insurance companies like Atlanta Life were set up by rich Black Barbers.
From around 1890 White Barbers started agitating for greater controls and registration with Barber Colleges which excluded Black Barbers and so Black Barbers were 'forced out' and responded by relocating to Black communities like Harlem where they became major centers of community life.

I love those little details :)))

MistyF

First Post
I've been doing some really fascinating reading about the social role of the Barber Shop in Black American communities. As I understand it, the history in a nutshell is that following the abolition of slavery Barber was the only skilled trade where Black men were able to set up their own businesses and generally do well. Many would cut the hair of white clients during opening hours and then black clients after hours. Many of these Barbers had the ear of white politicians and became very wealthy in their own right which allowed them to reinvest in their communities. Apparently Insurance companies like Atlanta Life were set up by rich Black Barbers.
From around 1890 White Barbers started agitating for greater controls and registration with Barber Colleges which excluded Black Barbers and so Black Barbers were 'forced out' and responded by relocating to Black communities like Harlem where they became major centers of community life.

I love those little details :)))

Oh, I didn't know it, thanks for sharing this!

Remove ads