• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Netflix or Redbox?

GordyK

First Post
Netflix all the way! If you look at it in regards to just streaming, it cannot be beat. No they don't have most of the newer titles, but in terms of quality it's bar is high. What it would cost you to subscribe to HBO, Cinemax, etc. is ridiculous.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
There is a 3rd option: Hulu Plus. Hulu offers less movies, but more television shows. You can get entire seasons on Hulu. I'm a cheap bastard, so I use the free version of Hulu. SG1 and Stargate Atlantis were both available free, not sure if they still are.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Netflix has worked well for me.
Only problem I have is that a lot of the reviews are people whining that their favorite show isn't on instant streaming and blaming NF. Problem is that Netflix doesn't set the rules: the distributors do. Likewise if there is a glitch in the program, NF can't do anything about it directly--it has to go back to the distributor and wait.
And of course, there's the fact that HBO has gotten tremendously greedy, pulled instant streaming for all of its programs from NF, and won't even sell them DVDs as a store: NF has to buy HBO DVDs from a 3rd party vendor at full retail price. And for some reason, people keep blaming NF for not having Dexter available on instant viewing.

Other than that, I usually get the next disk on a 3-day turnaround. Works pretty darn well.

Mercutio01

First Post
I think the Dexter complaints result from the fact that Dexter used to stream on Netflix. Spartacus: Blood and Sand did, too, before Starz pulled it.

Grimnir Smith

First Post
Online is where it's at. Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Crackle have way more content than they let on. You might not always get the movie you're looking for, but you'll always find something interesting to watch.

darjr

I crit!
Tried RedBox Instant. I didn't like it. No PS3 app and I really needed one, I'm sure they'll make one. Also I thought the ability to rent streaming movies was cool, cept they were to expensive and it seemed like they would try and hide that it was a rental verses a subscription stream.

Finally they were doing rooted device detection and refusing to play on rooted devices. Then I never even used the 4 free monthly rentals during the trial. Not a single person in my household other than me used redbox, not once.

sheadunne

Explorer
My wife and I gave up cable three or four years ago and haven't looked back. Every time I think about watching commercials I cringe. It takes a little patience to wait for new released to be available, but it's worth it to watch the entire show and not wait week to week.

We have two mac minis set up on our two TVs which we use to stream netflix, watch TV/movies, or surf the web. I believe the total cost for the two mac minis and the netflix subscription is less that I was paying for cable for a year. Now we just have Internet Service and Netflix, which provides more than enough entertainment.

Take the plunge, you won't look back.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Dexter, Penn&Teller's BullSh*t, and several other HBO shows were on instant. Then HBO decided that was a revenue loss, and pulled all the rights from everyone.

Remove ads