New 13th Age 'Escalation Edition' Coming Next Year!

There's a new version of 13th Age coming! Pelgrane Press announced at Gen Con that the 13th Age 'Escalated Edition' will be coming to Kickstarter next year. It will be backwards compatible with the current game. They'll be starting a playtest program very soon, which they are inviting game groups to join. 13th Age was released in 2013, designed by Rob Heinsoo (D&D 4E) and Jonathan Tweet (D&D...

There's a new version of 13th Age coming! Pelgrane Press announced at Gen Con that the 13th Age 'Escalated Edition' will be coming to Kickstarter next year. It will be backwards compatible with the current game. They'll be starting a playtest program very soon, which they are inviting game groups to join.

13th Age was released in 2013, designed by Rob Heinsoo (D&D 4E) and Jonathan Tweet (D&D 3E), and is a 'variant' of D&D.

13a.jpeg

ruemere

Adventurer
So, to sum it up, since there is no official announcement at Pelgrane Press site:
1. There will be a kickstarter for the next edition of 13th Age in the next year.
2. The playtest program will commence soon.
3. If you want to participate in the playtest, drop an email at 13thageplaytest...{@}gmail...com (minus the . and { and } to avoid the scrubbers).

Deekin

Adventurer
One thing I really hope they take a good long look at I'd the Recharge X mechanism. I was never really sold on a "roll to see if you get to have fun" mechanic, and after having to spend a combat doing nothing but spamming my basic attack after fluffing a bunch of recharge rolls really solidified my hatred of it as a mechanic

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Played a decent amount of 13th age back when it came out.

Here is what we found that it needed:

More detailed ritual casting rules, and a catalog of 4e style rituals, that include mundane things as well as more exotic rituals (e.g. create food and water, detect magic, water breathing, etc.). There should be martial "rituals" too. Basically the game needed a way to flesh out the feeling of the world, and provide more utility and non-combat abilities. The class abilities were cool, but too structured around combat scenes. The game has a wing it mentality but this is one area where more explicit mechanical framework along with a catalog of say 50 sample rituals would have been good.

Icon rules didn't work. They should be more of a narrative luck point style system. Each player rolls for each icon relationship they have. For every 6 they roll, per session they get something similar to 5e advantage, or a Savage World bennie if they can work it into the narrative of a scene, including combat scenes. That's basically what we did.

Magic items were too limited and not epic enough at higher levels. Most of them had a single power with a recharge. I'd rather have magic items with one or two always-on passive abilities, and then maybe a big bang daily or encounter power.

Also while I appreciated the unique feel of them, they were almost too unqiue and quirky. I would keep those items, but I'd also prefer a Diablo style random magical item generator so you could randomly create more standard items, and then sprinkle in some of the more specialized items.

Also class abilities were too limited. I liked the 1 Feat per level, but I hated having to waste higher level feat slots taking more feats in the chain. The Champion and Epic tier abilities of the Feat should just come automatically for free as soon as you hit that tier. So every time you get a feat it should be buying you into a whole new feat chain that just grows automatically. Sounds like this may be closer to the new approach.

Also the Paladin class was boring. I know it was intended to be a "simple" tank class, but it was boring. Needed something more. Thankfully, the 13th Age Glorantha book had that undead slaying class that could be reskinned as an awesome striker paladin, but not so many people saw that book. That class should move into the new core rulebook.

Also, there was a really good conversion of Tome of Battle done by Martin Killman on one of the fan sites. I know some people didn't like Tome of Battle, but my group loved it and we added those classes to our 13th age game to much excitement. I would love to see some version of those added to the new core rulebook. Also, add an anime style monster tamer/summoner class would be fun too. I know people cry about the action economy being broken, but those kinds of classes are still fun, and if any system can make them work it would be 13th Age.

ruemere

Adventurer
Monster tamer is easily doable.

1. Archmage Engine cares mostly about attack economy, that is you are limited to one attack per round, with damage die being dependent on your stance.

2. Treat summoned/tamed creatures attacks as your character attacks. Subject them to all rules of your class chassis.

3. Add special abilities. If they break rule #1 or #2, make them dailies. If they grant special utility effects, make them dailies. If they grant short temporary bonuses, make them once/scene with recharge 10.

Done.

waderockett

Explorer
Icon rules didn't work. They should be more of a narrative luck point style system. Each player rolls for each icon relationship they have. For every 6 they roll, per session they get something similar to 5e advantage, or a Savage World bennie if they can work it into the narrative of a scene, including combat scenes. That's basically what we did.
I started using the icon mechanics Rob Heinsoo said he was experimenting with in his home game, and which seem to have inspired the 13th Age Glorantha rune mechanics:
  1. Players roll their characters' icon relationships at the beginning of each session.
  2. On a result of a 5 or a 6 they get an icon advantage and I give them a token for that icon. I use the beautiful icon tokens from Campaign Coins because having something shiny in front of them reminds the players that they have a valuable resource they can spend.
  3. They can spend that icon advantage at any time during the session to automatically succeed at something that would be difficult or impossible for them to do using their normal powers and abilities. It has to be within reason and the player has to tell us how it connects to their experience with, or the power/influence of, that icon.
  4. When they use that advantage they roll 1d20. On a 1-5 there's a consequence or complication attached.
Making the icon advantage a resource controlled by players has worked incredibly well for me and my players. They enjoy using them, I enjoy seeing the creative ways they come up with to overcome challenges, it's super simple, and it gets the players invested in the icons—which lays the groundwork for Epic tier when they start to spend time with the icons in person and take on the campaign's villainous icons directly.

Last edited:

My only surprise with the announcement is why Pelgrane Press hasn't done some PR work to prepare the ground first if they intend to bring Jonathan Tweet back.

His tweet comes off as adversarial and political, which makes any point he was trying to make valueless as he's angered the audience reading it. It reminds me of when Chris Crawford published something about video games only being enjoyed by men because the three game types (logic puzzles, manual dexterity, resource management) all derive from hunting and gathering skills. WOW did he get roasted. And deservedly so.

ruemere

Adventurer
My only surprise with the announcement is why Pelgrane Press hasn't done some PR work to prepare the ground first if they intend to bring Jonathan Tweet back.

His tweet comes off as adversarial and political, which makes any point he was trying to make valueless as he's angered the audience reading it. It reminds me of when Chris Crawford published something about video games only being enjoyed by men because the three game types (logic puzzles, manual dexterity, resource management) all derive from hunting and gathering skills. WOW did he get roasted. And deservedly so.
Because not all people have PR skills.
Because sometimes you can be tolerant and understanding.

This topic was done over many times, even in this thread. Please, do let it go, ok?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For folks who didn't see it, upon being asked about this, Pelgrane Press tweeted:

"Jonathan is working with Rob on 13th Age 2nd Ed. He's just working on the core book, and only because he co-wrote it originally, and Rob felt he couldn't re-write it by himself. We haven't worked with him on anything since 2014, and will not be working with him on anything else."

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Sometimes, you can be tolerant of racist ideas, sure. But... why would you want to?
There’s no reason to be tolerant of racism. No one’s suggested otherwise. As stated up thread there are real genetic differences between ethnicities that can doom lives when medical treatment does not take these differences into account. Accepting the findings of modern science isn’t racist.

ETA: To be perfectly clear. Acknowledging genetic differences between populations is not racist. It literally saves lives. Thinking those genetic differences makes one group superior to another is racist. And should be fought.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads