D&D 4E New 4E attack icon smilies

Pssthpok

First Post
Yeah, I was retarded (I got better!).

I had more than one version of the font on my desktop, but the font install only ever showed one, then installed the first one.

It's fixed. It rules. Thank you! :D

jedrious

First Post
Daelkyr said:
Well, It took a month of upheavel at work (and a night of insomnia), but I finally got D&D 4e Icons v3 finished. I reworked the key mapping to match locustus' recommendations. I also finished making dice that match what you'll find in the PHB and MM. Nice, round, and beautiful. Finally, I found that the MM uses a icon for staged poison and disease effects. So I kit bashed a set of those as well. Be advised that those two icons have NO spacing between them so they can be placed right next to each other like in the book.

Hope this helps the community crank out some stellar 4e goodness.

- Josh
I took the Liberty to add your font to my workcopy for my up-and-coming publications enjoy

Attachments

• 4E Monster Font.zip
    148 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

Daelkyr

First Post
@Irda Ranger,

What pages give an example of those icons being used? I can't remember seeing them before. I can guarantee, a v4 will take less time than v3 did.

- Josh

Irda Ranger

First Post
Daelkyr said:
@Irda Ranger,

What pages give an example of those icons being used? I can't remember seeing them before. I can guarantee, a v4 will take less time than v3 did.

- Josh
No pages. They don't exist (as icons), as far as I know. But they're the only commonly used Attack Types that don't have icons yet. If someone made them up we'd have a complete set.

I'd take a stab at it myself, but I have zero graphics experience, so it would take a long time and probably suck. :)

EDIT: In case it's not clear, :area: is area blast, and :close: is close burst. Close blast would probably similar to Area blast, and Area Wall would have to be a new graphic. Maybe just a square with some brickwork lines?

Daelkyr

First Post
Hmmm, I'd probably do close blast by taking out the direction arrow (->) in the area blast so it would have six out going points on a Close Blast. I have no idea yet about a Area Wall effect. We'll have to see what pops up.

On an unrelated note, has anyone had any troubles with v3 of the font? I tried to make sure everything spaced correctly and that the special spacing with the arrow boxes worked well.

- Josh

VBMEW-01

First Post
Daelkyr I love the font (use it a good bit) but the dice won't do right for me at any size less than 18. Anyone know what might cause this?

Jedrious, your font is great too, but I can't find all of the icons. Have I missed a font map somewhere?

jedrious

First Post
VBMEW-01 said:
Daelkyr I love the font (use it a good bit) but the dice won't do right for me at any size less than 18. Anyone know what might cause this?

Jedrious, your font is great too, but I can't find all of the icons. Have I missed a font map somewhere?
I edited my post and uploaded an updated font file, there were several of the icons not appearing even in Insert Symbol so I remapped the missing ones, try reinstalling with the new one and tell me if any more are missing

woodelf

First Post
Morrus said:
To make it a little easier to write 4E stat blocks and the like, I've added some new smilies to our list:

I was curious about these, so i went and skimmed the new MM to figure it out, and i'm lost. How is "Recharge :6: " easier to read than "Recharge 6"? More importantly, as near as i can tell it's always a contiguous range, ending at 6, so the one possible advantage of using icons (listing specific values on the die, as opposed to just a range) isn't relevant. I'm *really* not seeing how "Recharge :3: :4: :5: :6: " is easier/quicker to read than "Recharge 3-6". Especially since all the little die icons are sorta same-looking (by their very nature), meaning it's probably just as quick for your brain to notice there are 4 of them on the page, as to actually see that the results 3 through 6 are represented. And they don't even aid in quickly finding such powers, because they're not printed in glorious 2-color offset (like the smilies here), but just plain old black-on-background text, so they blend right in with the rest of the text. Anybody actually think that WotC is improving readability/referenceability by using these icons?

I'm not particularly sold on the icons for attack types, either--but i have a very verbal brain. So i can probably pick out the word "melee" in bold at the beginning of a paragraph, even in a page full of text, just as fast as i can pick out all instances of icons, and then identify which are swords and which are something else. Especially with the extreme visual similarity (to my brain) of the close and ranged icons. But i understand that a lot of people are visually-oriented, so the icons are probably quicker to pick out for many, than a bunch of same-length words.

I wouldn't've thought that applied to the dice icons, as they're just number stand-ins--are they easier to read than actual numbers, for the visually-oriented? Also, the dice icons are in the middle of blocks of text--a large part of the added referenceability of the attack-type icons is them sitting on the margin outside of their paragraph.

Last edited:

jedrious

First Post
woodelf said:
I was curious about these, so i went and skimmed the new MM to figure it out, and i'm lost. How is "Recharge :6: " easier to read than "Recharge 6"? More importantly, as near as i can tell it's always a contiguous range, ending at 6, so the one possible advantage of using icons (listing specific values on the die, as opposed to just a range) isn't relevant. I'm *really* not seeing how "Recharge :3: :4: :5: :6: " is easier/quicker to read than "Recharge 3-6". Especially since all the little die icons are sorta same-looking (by their very nature), meaning it's probably just as quick for your brain to notice there are 4 of them on the page, as to actually see that the results 3 through 6 are represented. And they don't even aid in quickly finding such powers, because they're not printed in glorious 2-color offset (like the smilies here), but just plain old black-on-background text, so they blend right in with the rest of the text. Anybody actually think that WotC is improving readability/referenceability by using these icons?

I'm not particularly sold on the icons for attack types, either--but i have a very verbal brain. So i can probably pick out the word "melee" in bold at the beginning of a paragraph, even in a page full of text, just as fast as i can pick out all instances of icons, and then identify which are swords and which are something else. Especially with the extreme visual similarity (to my brain) of the close and ranged icons. But i understand that a lot of people are visually-oriented, so the icons are probably quicker to pick out for many, than a bunch of same-length words.

I wouldn't've thought that applied to the dice icons, as they're just number stand-ins--are they easier to read than actual numbers, for the visually-oriented? Also, the dice icons are in the middle of blocks of text--a large part of the added referenceability of the attack-type icons is them sitting on the margin outside of their paragraph.
The attack icons are there for ease of reference, school statistics show that a large majority of learners are hybrid learners, verbal learning and visual association with varying degrees of deviation between which one is more useful, less than 10% of the population are in the extremes of being only verbal or visual, and a large chunk of those numbers are actually illiterate, therefore making statistic blocks appeal to those 90% that are hybrid (especially considering that it's an inconvenience at best for illiterate players to actually play).

Also on the recharge powers, the text on recharging specifically states that the die roll must MATCH a number listed as oppossed to being that number or higher, making all six number dice necessary

Remove ads