• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New adventure path from ENP

renau1g

First Post
Yeah the rival adventuring party was fun in the Paizo AP with Kyuss (I forget the name). The first adventure the party ran across them in the tavern (our party was three PC's as well) and the tension built pretty quickly between them as the rogue bested the party's rogue in a dagger contest and the fighter won an arm-wrestling match with the party's barbarian. They loved the progression of how that storyline went and it would be quite an enjoyable time to add it into the new AP.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Another question - how interested are people in in stronghold building? Say, gradually building/upgrading it over the course of the AP. And maybe the stronghold being a ship instead of a building?

renau1g

First Post
I love it. That's why I'm going to be running the Kingmaker AP (but converted to 4e), which has something like that in it (more country building, but same premise). I think it heavily invests the PC's in an area/setting if they have something permanent, plus somewhere to unwind, conduct some research, craft items, etc.

As long as it's not used to mostly create problems for the PC's (i.e. enemies always attacking while on board, someone on the ship always needs help) it would be fun and interesting.

Insight

Adventurer
Another question - how interested are people in in stronghold building? Say, gradually building/upgrading it over the course of the AP. And maybe the stronghold being a ship instead of a building?

Why not? Start with a schooner (or the equivalent) and get better ships as the AP progresses. Or start with a broken down galleon and fix it up/upgrade it as the game goes along. Or both.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why not? Start with a schooner (or the equivalent) and get better ships as the AP progresses. Or start with a broken down galleon and fix it up/upgrade it as the game goes along. Or both.

Yeah, I figured maybe a choice of 2-3 ships to start with (with different stats). Then upgrade it as you visit different places. At the Heroic level, things like dwarven armour plating and eladrin fire-resistant paint. At higher tiers, things like "bigger on the inside". At the Epic tier, maybe it could even evetually fly like an airship.

All the while, it's home to the PCs. They can customize it, become attached to it, and so on.

Insight

Adventurer
Yeah, I figured maybe a choice of 2-3 ships to start with (with different stats). Then upgrade it as you visit different places. At the Heroic level, things like dwarven armour plating and eladrin fire-resistant paint. At higher tiers, things like "bigger on the inside". At the Epic tier, maybe it could even evetually fly like an airship.

All the while, it's home to the PCs. They can customize it, become attached to it, and so on.

An awesome reward for adventuring could be ship upgrades (or better ships) you either acquire as a result of a quest or perhaps as loot. Think of the possibilities!

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Re: steampunk, the reason I tend to not like it is I've always felt that limited communication and organization is what limited scientific growth in the early industrial era (i.e., steam). DnD tends to already have organized countries, schools, and guilds and can used magic for long-distance communication. At that point it snaps my disbelief suspenders for the setting to be stopped at the steam level of technology.

Re: what I'd like to see in another AP, I'd love to play a non-geographicly-based campaign. Something where you travel to different planes, alternate realities, or just unrelated places on the other side of your planet that are connected via plot and villains but not location.

Re: a ship or other homebase - awesomeness.

Talysian

Explorer

that sounds awesome!

Re: steampunk, the reason I tend to not like it is I've always felt that limited communication and organization is what limited scientific growth in the early industrial era (i.e., steam). DnD tends to already have organized countries, schools, and guilds and can used magic for long-distance communication. At that point it snaps my disbelief suspenders for the setting to be stopped at the steam level of technology.

Re: what I'd like to see in another AP, I'd love to play a non-geographicly-based campaign. Something where you travel to different planes, alternate realities, or just unrelated places on the other side of your planet that are connected via plot and villains but not location.

Re: a ship or other homebase - awesomeness.

If we go with steamtech, the logic for it is that some time in the past, a Crusades-level holy war came to an end when the winning side used an epic ritual to kill off half the people of the losing side. This weakened the magic from the whole region, which allowed technology to advance to its current state.

The whole conflict between pastoral innocence and the corrupting effects of industry in fantasy started way back with Tolkien. We're just changing the form the industry takes (and hopefully will be less one-sided in our valuation of technology).

One of the ideas I pitched Russ was a "hop all over the place" picaresque campaign, but that idea lost out to a more "get to know and love a place" political-ish campaign, because we felt it was easier to have an actual story as opposed to a series of vaguely linked events. I suppose if we'd hit on a boat home base idea earlier we could have come up with a different plot to mesh the two concepts.

Right now I'm working on an email to send Russ of ideas to use a boat-base(tm) in the framework we already have in mind. But it's definitely not too late if Russ wants to change his mind and turn us in a new direction. We just have a rough idea so far.

Talysian

Explorer
I dunno there is just something I like about having a Boat or Airship type base.. I guess it harkens back to my earthdawn days where the I almost always had my party based out of a airship. Then again I did the same thing back in my mystara days as well... I notice a trend.

Remove ads