• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New character creation/Game of death!

wildingo

First Post
Just a heads up, I'm interested in posting a character. Also, i'd like to know, if you have a buff(say an extended mage armor, which will last all day at level 12), will it be up when you enter the arena, or will you have to activate it? How long does a buff have to be for you to have it on when the combat begins?

Half Dragon

First Post
Multiple entries

I am intersted in this, it looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Two questions though.

1) Just confermation, but will this be done in a Play-by-Post method, or in a program like OpenRPG?

2) I see that there will be only one champion accepted per god. Would it be alright if I submitted three, or possably four characters, for differnt gods, so long as I specified my preferance for which one I would play? By that I mean that if two of my characters were up for consideration, the one I had ranked highest would be chosen.

Number47

First Post
I have a character just about ready to submit. Can you post a sample format that you would like? How crunchy do want the submission? Should it include spells memorized, etc.? How much flavor do you want? About a page?

cool hand luke

First Post
answers

From Seasong:

1. Are custom magic items allowed?
No

2. The revised DMG has a section detailing a cost modifier for "always on" magic items, based on the original spell's duration. Thus, if a spell normally lasts 1 round/level, the cost to make it "always on" is x4 of the base cost (so spell level x caster level x 2,000 x This is NOT in the SRD. Are you using this rule?

No, if its not OGL, than I’m not using it (exception for species)

3. The Anthropomorphic Ape in Savage Species is just a little busted. So are some of the others.

Yes, that’s why they are all up to review.

4. In 3.5, some templates modify race-only or race-and-class HD. Are you going with this for things like the lich and vampire?

In general, I’m going to allow templates that modify both race and class hd, like the vampire…… HOWEVER

5. Eh, I'll go ahead and say it: I'm thinking of playing a lich. Where is my phylactery, and how will that work in terms of the arena?

NO LICHS! Here’s why. TO construct your phylactery, you must have a caster level of at least 11. It has a EL of 4. Therefore, the minimum level you could be come a Lich would be level 15, which is outside of the scope of this game. (unless someone points me out something that I don’t understand)

6. Given that the character level is 12th, do you want to limit 7th level spells the same way you are limiting 8th and 9th level spells?

Correct, didn’t change that, nothing that casts spells level 7 spells will be allowed.

7. No cohorts!?!?!?!?! Waaaaaaaah! Waaaaaaah!

Your fault seasong, I saw what a Nightmare that turned into. I’m already going to have 16 characters to check.

8. During the grandstanding 0-3 prep rounds, will we know the location of our opponents? And by "no attacks", do you include the limitation, "spells may only affect me or my companions"? For example, could I deeper darkness a segment of the arena that I am not in?

Good question, only buffs, spells affecting you or your companions. (or readying actions, etc, etc, etc.)

9. Will we be placed randomly in the arena, or allowed to pick our starting coordinates?
You will start in opposite corners

From Wildingo:
Also, i'd like to know, if you have a buff(say an extended mage armor, which will last all day at level 12), will it be up when you enter the arena, or will you have to activate it? How long does a buff have to be for you to have it on when the combat begins?

NOTHING precast, no buffs at all, all of this must be done in the 0-3 rounds before the combat begins.

From halfdragon
1) Just confermation, but will this be done in a Play-by-Post method, or in a program like OpenRPG?

I can’t use OPENRPG from work (can’t install anything) My plan is to start a yahoogroups.com group, and base it out of there, I will post maps, descriptions, etc. You will email your moves to ME (not the group) I will crunch the numbers, and post the results.

2) I see that there will be only one champion accepted per god. Would it be alright if I submitted three, or possably four characters, for differnt gods, so long as I specified my preferance for which one I would play? By that I mean that if two of my characters were up for consideration, the one I had ranked highest would be chosen.
Each person can submit one character the first round. After that round’s winners are chosen, anyone not selected will have the option of submitting a new character for a god that didn’t have a champion already selected.

From Number 47:
I have a character just about ready to submit. Can you post a sample format that you would like? How crunchy do want the submission? Should it include spells memorized, etc.? How much flavor do you want? About a page?

I will post my format Monday for the character sheet. If you want to submit before then, that’s fine, we will just swap it over next week.
For flavor, a page would be the minimum.
I want to see
Physical description

Personality

Character background

Why the god chose this person for there champion.

Remember, you must account for must of your character creation process in this write up, so it needs to be fairly in depth.

Ratama

First Post
Will characters start flat-footed, even though they are aware of each other (and each other's intentions), prior to combat starting?

reapersaurus

Explorer
I'd like to rephrase one of seasong's questions, about the 'custom' magic items.

In the SRD I'm using, it clearly mentions magic item creation, and talks about how "If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4." etc.

If you take a feat to create magic items, won't we be able to create "custom magic items" per the SRD and DMG guidelines?
For example, making a Vest that casts Barkskin 3 times per day?

Half Dragon

First Post
Look, I am really intersted in this, and I have a rough draft of a character already done.

My problem is that as of tomorow, I have no computer access for a week, due to college and moving and stuff, and it will take at least a few more days untill I am ready to submit my character.

Just wondering how this will affect my chances.

cool hand luke

First Post
I've attached my character sheet that I'd like yall to use, just to make it easier for me. if you would put your character in this, it would make it alot easier on me.

Also, I've already recieved one sheet, who emailed that one to me?

Attachments

• character sheet.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 50

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads