• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Chat Site?

Krystal

First Post
WotC_Mel said:
I know that you can change the colors for the way you see themn in iChat. I use this fucntion myself. I was referring to sending to the screen color text so that others can see it. It is, technically, considered room disruption and WizOs can warn for it. Since ichat does not have any easy or intuitive way to send colors to the screen (for others to see) this is not really a spam problem for newbies walking around and punching up obnoxious color combinations.

What I didn't know is if CheetaChat allowed to send colors to non-CheetaChat clients.

Okay, you seem to be missing the point, Mel. Our complaints are not that we can't send a color to the room for all to see, but that we can't configure how we see it.

I don't want to be able to send black text on dark purple background to everyone so that when I send text, that is what they see. I want the capability to set, say, actions to such a color scheme for my eyes only for all actions on my client. This is the functionality that Ichat had, that cheetchat has, and that we want.

Let's also keep in mind those folks who are color blind. Right now actions are red, and speaking is blue... both of which are colors that some color-blind individuals have difficulties with. They should be able to configure their client to colors that they can see without difficulty.

A

Adept_Nathan

Krystal said:
Let's also keep in mind those folks who are color blind. Right now actions are red, and speaking is blue... both of which are colors that some color-blind individuals have difficulties with. They should be able to configure their client to colors that they can see without difficulty.

I second that motion sir.

::quickly nudges, whispers "and bold, italic, underline", and runs off::

J

JudeSedai

I'm fairly certain that most IRC clients (which this seems very similar to) have bold and underline capabilities.....italics, I don't think I've ever seen in an IRC client.

WotC_Mel

First Post
I intend to continue to respond to further issues early next week by either explaining what can be done to achieve the desired functionality, adding it to my investigate list, or saying that I already know that a certain thing is unlikely to change.

Please understand that I am not here to try and "convince" people to stay or to continually argue why the decision to change software--and to this software in particular--was not an idiotic move made by a company that is bent on spending time and money dedicated to expunging IC roleplay on thier site.

Nor do I have any further method of assuaging anxiety about security. All I can say is that ichat works *exactly* the same way as Chatspace does in this regard. Both have limited IRC functionality and could be connected to an IRC node but are not and that capability is not enabled. Logically following, if you were okay with ichat security, you should be okay with Chatspace security. More so chatspace as its code is more current.

What I do want is for the chatters to have the full set of facts with which to make their decision about staying on or finding greener pastures. Early on, some posts were making statements that I knew were addressed by the software, just not in the exact same manner as in ichat.

I appreciate the trouble to format posts in a list style so that concerns are easily called out. There are a few posts I can't make heads or tails of due to no punctuation or spacing.

-Mel

R

Rhane Arturant

• Being able to change the colours on your own interface would be very useful indeed. But is there no way to make a script at all that brings up a logged/saved description? I know such things exist for IRC and such, can we not come up with something similar for this new chat? I.E even having a logged description pop up in a new tab would work. Though I have no idea how much effort this would be when it comes to programming on your part.
  • Bold and underline is another big thing, sometimes you just need an extra emphasis on the words and typing /things/ *like* _this_ really look bad. Also the fact that it no longer says "rhane says,"hi!" " but "<rhane> hi!" instead makes it seem just like every other chat room.

• Various commands for actions would also be nice. Though I'm partial to "/me" from various years on other chat sites and IRC, it doesn't bother me all that much, but I know so many people that use the colon, ":" or even "/emote" to make an action. Is there any way that we can keep these commands? Or people are going to be mistyping all the time.

• Also, having the extra frame at the top where we could easily see the room description, menus, Siani's journal and the calendars and such was so useful. Is that being scrapped all together? Seemed also like a great place for advertising new rooms.
And lastly a request: Mel, is there any way that you could get a username for me? I believe it's been abandoned, but if not, I'd really like it to be made available to me so I can continue to use the chats.

B

Bhryn Astairre

Please understand that I am not here to try and "convince" people to stay or to continually argue why the decision to change software--and to this software in particular--was not an idiotic move made by a company that is bent on spending time and money dedicated to expunging IC roleplay on thier site.

Um, Mel, don't you mean:

Please understand that I am not here to try and "convince" people to stay or to continually argue why the decision to change software--and to this software in particular--was not an idiotic move made by a company that is bent on spending time and money dedicated to not expunging IC roleplay on their site.

...I'm sure you didn't mean that you want to be rid of us! :embarrass

D

Darrius of the Guardians

I might be wrong Bhryn, but I think she meant the message sarcastically, as she feels under attack by us, and that we are not trying to achieve prospective and see things from her point of view, and instead are treating this chat change as a direct and malicious attack on our ability to RP on Wizards.

B

Babylon

Dragona Nightsky said:
3. New bot and menus! Which was SO long overdue, and might I add I love the description and the fact that it gives a price now. Plus Warden and Valkyrie (who's apparently the new clearing bot) can both sell you items! Definitely a plus! :thumbsup: Although I do wonder, can warden still roll dice?

Well, technically hon. Valkyrie isn't new. She's as old as the clearing's banner. She was just never implemented. She was just one more of those things ISRP was promised, and never given.

Dragona Nightsky said:
4. Chat and Boards together. Finally I don't have to register a different name for the boards than on the chat! (Well, at least unless I like my space for boards posting, which I do, but meh :p) I can have one name for each character that works for boards and chat and if I want to use either it's all under that one name. Nifty!

Been there, done that. I really wasn't fond of the security issues it had when Wiz had the chat and boards set up like that. Because if someone managed to hack your SN on one, they could get the other as well.

Dragona Nightsky said:
5. Gah, there is a fifth...I just had it...oh bah, I'll edit it in later or something

No there isn't, and you know it.

D

Dragona Nightsky

Babylon said:
Well, technically hon. Valkyrie isn't new. She's as old as the clearing's banner. She was just never implemented. She was just one more of those things ISRP was promised, and never given.

It's called patience young padawan. ;) I'm sure things like coding bots take time.

babylon said:
Been there, done that. I really wasn't fond of the security issues it had when Wiz had the chat and boards set up like that. Because if someone managed to hack your SN on one, they could get the other as well.

That's why you change your password every now and again and don't make it too easy to figure out. Of course, as Mel just said in her earlier post:
WotC Mel said:
Nor do I have any further method of assuaging anxiety about security. All I can say is that ichat works *exactly* the same way as Chatspace does in this regard. Both have limited IRC functionality and could be connected to an IRC node but are not and that capability is not enabled. Logically following, if you were okay with ichat security, you should be okay with Chatspace security. More so chatspace as its code is more current.

Nuff said :p

Babylon said:
No there isn't, and you know it.

Oh trust me, there is...damn ADD :bored:

I blame Bhryn...she's just so...blameable :angel:
-Draggy

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads