• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Chat Site?

D

Darrius of the Guardians

Krystal said:
Okay, you seem to be missing the point, Mel. Our complaints are not that we can't send a color to the room for all to see, but that we can't configure how we see it.

I don't want to be able to send black text on dark purple background to everyone so that when I send text, that is what they see. I want the capability to set, say, actions to such a color scheme for my eyes only for all actions on my client. This is the functionality that Ichat had, that cheetchat has, and that we want.

Let's also keep in mind those folks who are color blind. Right now actions are red, and speaking is blue... both of which are colors that some color-blind individuals have difficulties with. They should be able to configure their client to colors that they can see without difficulty.

Now I have not been to the new chat rooms yet, but if the chatguide is right,
wizards_chat_guide.pdf_page_6 said:
Colors: Text Color --- This button allows use to choose the color of text that you wuold like to use.
It seems you click the button that says Color and you can change the color of your text...

B

Bhryn Astairre

I am not!

*infects quietly*

....urgh, someone give me a new un-fluey head so I can concentrate.

Krystal

First Post
WotC_Mel said:
Please understand that I am not here to try and "convince" people to stay or to continually argue why the decision to change software--and to this software in particular--was not an idiotic move made by a company that is bent on spending time and money dedicated to expunging IC roleplay on thier site.
-Mel

Expunge:
1. To erase or strike out: “I have corrected some factual slips, expunged some repetitions” (Kenneth Tynan).
2. To eliminate completely; annihilate. See Synonyms at erase.

I do so hope this was a slip. Because to be honest,
"... move made by a company that is bent on spending time and money dedicated to eliminating completely IC roleplay on their site."
sounds rather... well, uncaring.

I am also bothered by the remark about you not trying to convince people to stay. We are, all of us, potential customers. To say that you aren't going to try to keep even one of us shows a lack of caring for our business. I'm being serious people, read those words again and think about it. It sounds to me like you don't care about the quality customers. Because to be honest, this move is going to do just that: drive a lot of quality role players away to something else.

After all, isn't that why problematic users are coddled and retold the rules that they agree to every single time they log on? I mean, really. With a site that posts its CoC everywhere, why don't you crack down harder on those who break it?

I'll tell you why: Because they are potential customers, and heaven forbid you should drive them away, no matter how annoying or problematic they are acting.

And yet... look what you do to all of us, good and bad?

"This is the new chat. Yeah, we asked for certain features, and were told there were features that would be there or that we could add... and it turns out we don't have them or can't add them. But, we decided to keep the software instead of sending it back, demanding our money back, and looking for something better. This is what you get. If you don't like it, too bad. (For whatever reasons) we're not going to change things."

I have to wonder, though... if you guys asked for certain features that would be available / giveable, and it turns out that the company lied to you...

What makes you think they're going to have good customer service?

Seems to me they've already showed you guys they lack customer service. But hey, if that's good enough for you guys... who am I to say anything about it?

Will you still get money from those who stay? Most likely. There are a lot of people out there who either don't care or will follow the lead. For whatever reasons, they won't leave the site, no matter what kind of slop you feed them.

Krystal

First Post
Darrius of the Guardians said:
Now I have not been to the new chat rooms yet, but if the chatguide is right,

It seems you click the button that says Color and you can change the color of your text...

I talked to Mel specifically at the open house, and she's mentioned this a few times in the varioius threads on the new chat.

That button was completely removed to stop people from making strange / hard to read color combinations that would be deemed disruptive to the room. Further, she told me herself that there *IS* a way to change the colors, but it requires difficult command line-type commands to do so.

A

Anamarice

ok if we HAVE to register our names here to chat, PLEASE get rid of the "Action requird) e-mail's. it's bad enough to have to use two browsers jsut to remember all the names and passwords, add to the need of a thrid and forth browser to read e-mails and get confirmation. I just want my names, that's all, no more, no less. since I can't have a description yet, I wont be getting any more than a scren name anyway.

I say again, please deep 6 the confirmation e-mails. it takes an hour long job and makes it 2 or thre hours long.

Ana

Krystal

First Post
Unforunately Anamarice, I don't think this is something they could do if they wanted. It'd open the door for bots and such to make names, and trust me, there are web-bots crawling the web all the time.

Yeah, it's annoying, but there's a good reason why they do that sort of thing.

D

Darrius of the Guardians

Krystal said:
Expunge:
1. To erase or strike out: “I have corrected some factual slips, expunged some repetitions” (Kenneth Tynan).
2. To eliminate completely; annihilate. See Synonyms at erase.

I do so hope this was a slip. Because to be honest,
"... move made by a company that is bent on spending time and money dedicated to eliminating completely IC roleplay on their site."
sounds rather... well, uncaring.
Again, I am willing to wager Mel was responding to the less cordial attitude of the majority of indviduals, and their acting like the company was specifically going out of its way to assault them.

Krystal said:
I am also bothered by the remark about you not trying to convince people to stay. We are, all of us, potential customers. To say that you aren't going to try to keep even one of us shows a lack of caring for our business. I'm being serious people, read those words again and think about it. It sounds to me like you don't care about the quality customers. Because to be honest, this move is going to do just that: drive a lot of quality role players away to something else.
No, its driving whinning people who refuse to accept change away. Quality for Wizards has nothing to do with RP quality, as thats an intercustomer concern, not a customer-business concern. Plus several people have used leaving as a proverbial knife at the throat of Wizards.

krystal said:
After all, isn't that why problematic users are coddled and retold the rules that they agree to every single time they log on? I mean, really. With a site that posts its CoC everywhere, why don't you crack down harder on those who break it?
Really, you have access to the warn logs, and the logs, and the private messages from WizOs to patrons to accurately and fairly judge this? And you didn't see Mel's point about I-chat being a pain to moderate? Or are you presuming from what you have seen what goes on behind the scenes?

I'll tell you why: Because they are potential customers, and heaven forbid you should drive them away, no matter how annoying or problematic they are acting.

And yet... look what you do to all of us, good and bad?

"This is the new chat. Yeah, we asked for certain features, and were told there were features that would be there or that we could add... and it turns out we don't have them or can't add them. But, we decided to keep the software instead of sending it back, demanding our money back, and looking for something better. This is what you get. If you don't like it, too bad. (For whatever reasons) we're not going to change things."

I have to wonder, though... if you guys asked for certain features that would be available / giveable, and it turns out that the company lied to you...

What makes you think they're going to have good customer service?
Again, Mel made a comment about them updating the service at one point, it could be what was doable in verison 1 wasn't in verison X. Again, speaking wihtout full knowledge of the situation, and doing so in a agressive manner that belittles someone who is doing their best to accomdate as much as she can.

krystal said:
Seems to me they've already showed you guys they lack customer service. But hey, if that's good enough for you guys... who am I to say anything about it?

Will you still get money from those who stay? Most likely. There are a lot of people out there who either don't care or will follow the lead. For whatever reasons, they won't leave the site, no matter what kind of slop you feed them.

Given that our other choice is to stay with Ichat which is buggy, laggy, without support, and has penchant for random deaths at bad times....should we work with a new software that accomdates features the previous one didn't, is platform inspecific (anythign that can use Java can run this) or should we be like luddities and stick to something outmoded, out of date, and out of touch just because it is familar?

Too me, it is always better to advance rather than retreat, to alter a few things rather than watch the RP slowly die due to fewer people wanting to learn an archaic form of chat.

*shrugs* YMMV

B

Bhryn Astairre

Good grief, someone lock Krystal and Darrius in a room together and let them duke it out.

...I could put it on live streaming on the net and sell tickets!!! :D

Nevine

First Post
No, its driving whinning people who refuse to accept change away. Quality for Wizards has nothing to do with RP quality, as thats an intercustomer concern, not a customer-business concern. Plus several people have used leaving as a proverbial knife at the throat of Wizards.

Again, Mel made a comment about them updating the service at one point, it could be what was doable in verison 1 wasn't in verison X. Again, speaking wihtout full knowledge of the situation, and doing so in a agressive manner that belittles someone who is doing their best to accomdate as much as she can.

The quality of the ISRP area is an intercustomer concern? Likely. Not a customer-business concern? I find it would be a tad foolish to believe that. If they aren't concerned, then why have the section at all? Out of the kindness of their hearts? No.

Because the people who roleplay buy books (though I am certain some genius in management would say otherwise). Either source material or WotC novels. I have scarcely met a single person in those rooms who has not bought/buys either or both. Live! is not the end all, be all for marketing.

As for the rhetoric of "it's easier to moderate!" Why would anyone design a promotional product geared toward themselves first instead of the consumer? It's like telling a Dungeons & Dragons R&D team to forget normal formatting rules and styles and then skipping proofreading as well because it's "easier".

Given that our other choice is to stay with Ichat which is buggy, laggy, without support, and has penchant for random deaths at bad times....should we work with a new software that accomdates features the previous one didn't, is platform inspecific (anythign that can use Java can run this) or should we be like luddities and stick to something outmoded, out of date, and out of touch just because it is familar?

Too me, it is always better to advance rather than retreat, to alter a few things rather than watch the RP slowly die due to fewer people wanting to learn an archaic form of chat.

Buggy, laggy, a penchant for random deaths? Why, for a second there I thought you were describing these very boards. All software has its problems, as will these new chat rooms. The new boards were supposed to be the holy land, yet here we sit without a search function and I'm sure we'll have problems in the future. I admit, you do have me on the "no support" thing though.

And if by "alter a few things", you mean "throwing a wrecking ball into", then you are very right. Also, iChat would not cause roleplaying to "slowly die". You're making the same presumptions you're accusing Krystal of by making statements like that.

So...

Dear Kettle,

It has come to my attention that you are black.

Sincerely,

Pot

*shrugs* YMMV

Indeed. I usually enjoy things that don't suck.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads