• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Class: Brawler (Edited 5-13)

ChimericDream

First Post
I'm working on a region where my players will be running into some nasty types who host pit fights. I wanted something that had something a little extra (I'm picturing the pit fights in the movie Unleashed, for those who have seen it), so I came up with this. Opinions are welcome.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Brawler, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Toughness.
Skills: intimidate 8 ranks.

Game Rule Information
Abilities: Strength and Constitution are overwhelmingly the most important abilities for a brawler. They determine the beating a brawler can give as well as receive.
Alignment: Any non-lawful.
Hit Die: d12.

Class Skills
The Brawler's (Brw) class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are .
Skill Points at each level: 4 + Int modifier

Code:
Table: The Brawler
Level..BAB...Fort...Ref...Will...Special
1......+0....+2.....+0....+0.....Power Attack, Damage Reduction
2......+1....+3.....+0....+0.....Special
3......+2....+3.....+1....+1.....
4......+3....+4.....+1....+1.....Improved Bull Rush, Special
5......+3....+4.....+1....+1.....Improved Toughness
6......+4....+5.....+2....+2.....Special
7......+5....+5.....+2....+2.....Improved Trip
8......+6....+6.....+2....+2.....Special
9......+6....+6.....+3....+3.....
10.....+7....+7.....+3....+3.....Special, Powerful Build

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Brawler.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A brawler gains no proficiency with any weapons, armor, or shields.

Power Attack: At 1st level, a brawler gains the Power Attack feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites for it. The brawler may only use the Power Attack feat with his unarmed attacks, unless he gains the feat from another source or already has the feat.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 1st level, a brawler gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the brawler takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At every other brawler level thereafter, this damage reduction rises by 1 point, to a maximum of DR 5/- at 9th level. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0. This damage reduction stacks with other sources of DR of the same type, including a barbarian's damage reduction and the epic feat Armor Skin.

Special: At 2nd level, and every other level thereafter, the brawler gains a special ability, chosen from the following list. Unless stated otherwise, each ability may only be chosen once. These abilities only work on the brawler's unarmed attacks.

Forceful Strike (Ex): Three times per day, a brawler may make a single attack as a standard action. If the attack is successful, the brawler deals double damage. This ability may be selected multiple times. Each time after the first adds two uses of the ability per day.

Unarmed Damage Increase (Ex): The unarmed damage of the brawler increases by one die type, according to the table below. This ability may be selected multiple times.

Code:
Original Damage...New Damage......Original Damage...New Damage
1d3...............1d4.............2d8...............2d10
1d4...............1d6.............2d10..............3d8
1d6...............1d8.............3d8...............4d8
1d8...............1d10............4d8...............6d8
1d10..............2d6.............6d8...............-
2d6...............2d8.............-.................-

Threat Range Increase (Ex): A brawler increases his critical threat range by 1. For example, if the brawler's threat range is currently 19-20, it becomes 18-20. This ability may be selected up to three times.

Critical Multiplier Increase (Ex): A brawler increases his critical multiplier by 1. For example, if the brawler's multiplier is currently x2, it becomes x3. This ability may be selected up to two times.

Improved Bull Rush: At 4th level, a brawler gains the Improved Bull Rush feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites for it.

Improved Toughness: At 5th level, a brawler gains the Improved Toughness feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites for it.

Improved Trip: At 7th level, a brawler gains the Improved Trip feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites for it.

Powerful Build: At 10th level, a brawler can function in many ways as if he were one size category larger.

Whenever a brawler is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the brawler is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A brawler is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A brawler cannot use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty as a half-giant can. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this class ability stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

This ability does not allow a brawler to use weapons whose size categories are larger than his. If the brawler has the Powerful Build quality from another source, the more beneficial ability applies. They do not stack.

Improved Toughness Feat
[sblock]Toughness, Improved [Fighter] [General]

You are extremely hardy.

Prerequisites: Toughness, Con 18+

Benefit: You gain +2 hit points per hit die.[/sblock]

Edit 5-13-07: Made a few clarifications and changes.

Last edited:

Blackmage

First Post
Wait wait wait power attack and damage reduction at first level that increases all the way up to 10/- at 10th level that along with the other bonuses is insane if you are taking the class all ten levels and it makes a very tempting class to dip in even with one of the prequisites being Toughness.

Also you need to put restrictions on what the critical multiplier and threat range increases effect because that is making it way over powered and even a person wielding a sword might take this class just for those.

Last edited:

ChimericDream

First Post
Blackmage said:
Wait wait wait power attack and damage reduction at first level that increases all the way up to 10/- at 10th level that along with the other bonuses is insane if you are taking the class all ten levels and it makes a very tempting class to dip in even with one of the prequisites being Toughness.

Also you need to put restrictions on what the critical multiplier and threat range increases effect because that is making it way over powered and even a person wielding a sword might take this class just for those.
Well, with this being an unarmed specific combatant, what if I put in the limitation that the Power Attack could only be used with unarmed strikes?

That limitation was supposed to be implied in the crit multiplier and threat range increases, but you bring up a good point. I'll make it more explicit.

I'm thinking perhaps also adding the limitation that the brawler only gains the use of their abilities when in light or no armor (as a ranger). Would that help a bit?

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
Muzik,

Sorry I read this post. I didn't know it would be about the game I play in. Don't worry though, my short term memory is getting pretty bad.

The question I have is... is spot an in class skill for the brawler? Because I don't think my gnome rogue wants to be near any one of these punching and kicking fools.

Seriously though it seems a little powerful. But it should be fine as long as it is an NPC class unavailable to the players.

ChimericDream

First Post
Made a few changes to the class. I still haven't made their skill list yet, but it'll be fairly small... no knowledges, probably concentration, listen, spot, sense motive (for feinting), etc.

I'd like opinions on the updated version.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads