• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New core races or canon half races?

Would you rather see 4E add new core races or keep canon "half" races?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Gloombunny said:
By choosing half-elf instead of human, you give up a feat and a skill point/level in exchange for various benefits. If "elven blood" was a feat, you'd be giving up a feat in exchange for various benefits. Not really that big of a difference.
Yeah, if you choose a human as your base race and pick up "Elf Blood" feat. At least your character still have one vacant feat to fill at your choosing.

But what if you choose a dwarf as your bsae race and pick up the "Orc Blood" feat? You wasted the one feat you have at 1st level.

:\

Or is the racial heritage feats only for humans?

3catcircus

Adventurer
I Prefer HARP's Treatment

I really like the way HARP handles this - greater and lesser bloodlines for each of them. Makes it very easy to envision the race you want, while emphasizing which race is the dominant one in any given half-race combination.

Hussar

Legend
Wouldn't mind whacking on a +0 LA template for half races. Quick and easy.

Then give us a couple of new PC races. I wants me some lizard folk pc's

Gloombunny

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Yeah, if you choose a human as your base race and pick up "Elf Blood" feat. At least your character still have one vacant feat to fill at your choosing.

But what if you choose a dwarf as your bsae race and pick up the "Orc Blood" feat? You wasted the one feat you have at 1st level.

:\

Or is the racial heritage feats only for humans?
If the feats are well-designed, they'll be worth as much as any other feat you might pick. *shrug*

Personally I don't think dwarf-orc hybrids ought to be possible, but I don't see why the feat concept doesn't work for them.

Aldarc

Legend
Ranger REG said:
Because you're doing it half-assed. You stopped short of promoting the diversity of hybrids. As in the real world, you're shafting bi-racials in D&D, even denying them of their rightful place in the Player's Handbook.
I do not know how I could promote the diversity of hybrids more than with the feat and template tools. But are half-species necessary?

hong

WotC's bitch
Ranger REG said:
Because you're doing it half-assed. You stopped short of promoting the diversity of hybrids. As in the real world, you're shafting bi-racials in D&D, even denying them of their rightful place in the Player's Handbook.
VB.gif

Exen Trik

First Post
I'd mix it up a bit. Rather than have a race or template for being half-elf or half-orc (who are each assumed to be half human) or a set of half- templates, have one race of part-human with a number of possible manifestations of mixed ancestry. The ancestry itself can be just flavor text. Natural charisma can stem from Elves or other fey, a stronger than normal human might be descended from orcs, ogres, or even dragons.

Other options can represent other bloodlines, or alternate effects of a bloodline, or of having multiple non human ancestors. You wouldn't even need to declare a particular bloodline, just be something not quite human and leave it at that.

It establishes the theme of humans being the 'intermingling' race without having a dozen alt-humans running around. I would stop short of bundling tieflings in there though, the part-human race would get unwieldy if it applied to planar descendants. Other races could have their own mixed parentage alternates, that would likely have a different set of crossbreeding with different effects.

...Meh, I don't really see it happening, but I'll probably make up something like it after I see the 4e races.

Good Idea GreatLemur, but lets make losing your free human feat worth it:

Elven Blood

Prerequisites: First level, humanoid race other than elf.

Benefits: Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, +2 on saving throws against enchantment spells. Low-light vision. Considered an elf for the purposes of elven racial feats and magical items. Gain weapon proficiency with one weapon from the following list: longsword, rapier, longbow or shortbow. +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.

Orcish Blood

Prerequisites: First level, humanoid race other than orc.

Benefits: Gain a one-time, permanent +2 bonus to STR. Darkvision 60 ft. Considered an orc for the purposes of orcish racial feats and magical items. -2 racial penalty to all Int- and Cha-based skills except Craft, Handle Animal and Intimidation.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Gloombunny said:
If the feats are well-designed, they'll be worth as much as any other feat you might pick. *shrug*

Personally I don't think dwarf-orc hybrids ought to be possible, but I don't see why the feat concept doesn't work for them.
Again, if you're a base dwarf race, you have to spend that one and only feat you get at 1st level. Humans have two alloted feats to start with, nonhumans don't. :\

Last edited:

Remove ads