• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New D&D novel: Mark of Nerath

brainstorm

First Post
It jumps around the vale, starting off outside of Winterhaven, going to Nenlast, Lake Nen, then to Fallcrest, pays a visit to Kalton Manor, the Old Hills, and Thunderspire Mountain. Unfortunately, it doesn't really spend much time in any of those places, so you don't get any more info than what you get out of the DMG descriptions.

I liked it. For a D&D gaming novel its pretty good, yes it has its flaws, but it was enjoyable enough. I was reading it to get a little more info about the D&D Core world, and I got it. The side-jaunt to the ruined palace of the empire of Nerath was enlightening, as it gave another side of the story as to why Nerath fell.
But I agree it has too many characters, I kept wondering when the party from tthe previews would form. Also, there were few character developments that were unpredictable in any way.

bennyhobo

First Post
Hrm. Well, I already bought it. So I guess I'm going to read it. But I'm not looking forward to it as much as I was before. Bummer. I've just been out of the D&D novels for so long, I have no idea what's going on in the fiction. I'd hoped that this might be a good entry point for me, being the start of a new series. Maybe not so much?

caudor

Adventurer
Gosh, I'm behind on my D&D novels. I'm about halfway through Sojourn :p

I'm still planning to buy the e-book version of Mark of Nerath for my Nook.

ak1287

First Post
I dunno. Like a lot of people said, it's not bad for a game novel. I've definitely read a lot worse.
Then again, I didn't have high hopes for it, since I expect the worst from most of the game books (and am mostly pleasantly surprised.) But the Abyssal Plague stuff looks pretty interesting so far.

Perun

Mushroom
I was thinking on getting it on my Kindle, but Amazon doesn't have it in electronic format yet (to my knowledge)... but now, after all these less-than-stellar reviews here, I'll have to think about it (once it's available).

Regards.

fjw70

Adventurer
I was thinking on getting it on my Kindle, but Amazon doesn't have it in electronic format yet (to my knowledge)... but now, after all these less-than-stellar reviews here, I'll have to think about it (once it's available).

Regards.

No it's not on the Kindle. I will probably get it once (or if) it is available.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads