New D20 based strategy game - Worlds of Magic (MoM successor)

Wastelander_WoM

First Post
Hello there! We the fans and developers at Wastelands Interactive have decided to create a Master of Magic true spiritual successor, based in a custom D20 ruleset. Worlds of Magic is a turn based strategy game in development. Work on the project started nearly a year ago in a 2D development environment. As it evolved it was moved to a 3D environment and the basic game mechanics have started to take firm shape. We're working to develop a rather new and in-depth magic system for Worlds of Magic.

We're adding new features every day, and we would truly appreciate any suggestions. What did you like most about Master of Magic? What do you feel is a must for Worlds of Magic? What would you like us to add? Is there anything else we should consider?

As you are D20 experts, your opinion is incredibly valuable. A frequent question on the matter has been: “How are the complexities of the D20 System going to be included in WoM without overwhelming the player?”

About D20, one of our programmers has this to say:

I decided to post this in order to answer the question “Why are you leaning so heavily on the D20 system?” before it's asked. I also intend to address the question “Isn't the D20 system an RPG rule set?”

To answer the second question first: Yes, the D20 system is an RPG rule set. However, it works very well with what we're doing with Worlds of Magic. We want a combat system that supports things like experience levels, savings throws (to give units a chance to avoid negative spell effects), equipment changes, etc. Combat in WoM is actually slightly simplified RPG combat. There are a large number of things we wanted to take into consideration with every single attack. How likely is the attacker to hit the defender? How much damage will the attacker do? Is the attacker's weapon on fire? Does the defender have damage resistance against this kind of attack? Did the defender dodge that fireball? Etc, etc, etc. There are so many things we wanted to take into account we felt it best to use a system that would consider all those variables. A system like the D20 RPG system. (I seem to have a sub-conscious attachment to the word system.)

There are a number of reasons we decided to go with D20. The above is the first reason. The second is that it is a well established, thoroughly play-tested and very well balanced system. The system is also published under the Open Game License so we can tweak it in any way we see fit and offer whatever changes we may make to the public. Using D20 will allow us to put together a flavorful, but balanced system while, at the same time, saving us thousands of man hours of play testing. (If not more.) Simply put we can make WoM better, faster. It is a very solid foundation, which is why we decided to build on it.

If you have any questions about how certain aspects will be handled or how we intend to implement any particular feature feel free to ask.

Ideas, suggestions? Every contribution will be really much appreciated. It will be my pleasure to answer any question here. At the time I'm not able to post links or images, sorry!! . Thank you!

Jhaelen

First Post
Master of Magic was definitely one of my favorite computer games, ever. I'm not entirely sure what features were the main reason for this.
One strong point was probably that the combination of wizard personalities and starting races plus the randomly generated world made sure that every game was different.
Customizing wizards by specializing in different magic schools and types of spells with the possibility of finding additional tomes later in the game was very cool.
What I particularly enjoyed were the spells with a global scope, i.e. effects like Meteor showers, or raising volcanoes all over the world.
Dividing the world into a surface area and a more magical underworld was also a very neat idea.

Wastelander_WoM

First Post
Master of Magic was definitely one of my favorite computer games, ever. I'm not entirely sure what features were the main reason for this.
One strong point was probably that the combination of wizard personalities and starting races plus the randomly generated world made sure that every game was different.
Customizing wizards by specializing in different magic schools and types of spells with the possibility of finding additional tomes later in the game was very cool.
What I particularly enjoyed were the spells with a global scope, i.e. effects like Meteor showers, or raising volcanoes all over the world.
Dividing the world into a surface area and a more magical underworld was also a very neat idea.

Thanks a million for the feedback, Jhaelen. I will tell the guys about spells with a global scope, for sure we will get some good idea.

Happy monday there! Today we have a lot of updates about Worlds of Magic (as well as lots of questions for you lol) so let's get on it.

1.- Undead race and Necromancy.

Here is the starting lineup for the Undead race.

Settlers (They need another name, I know)
Engineers (The undead race can think, remember. They can use roads.)
Skeletons
Skeletal Archers
Zombies
Deathweb - The deathweb attacks with a poisonous bite, and can disable opponents with its web attack.
Huecuva - They fill the role of clerics in the Undead empire and unleash negative energy to consume a map tile. Corrupted tiles provide a boost to Undead cities but decimate resources in living cities.
Bonestorm - The Undead army's siege engine.
Phantom Lancers - A full suit of armor and horse barding, animated by the vengeful spirit of a slain warrior.
Arcane Wraith - Arcane Wraith are powerful sorcerers.
Spectres - Spectres are agonized spirits of murdered humanoids, unable to find rest in the afterlife. Their cold touch draws life essence from the living, and

humanoids killed by this life drain may become spectres themselves. Fortunately for the living world, spectres are nearly helpless in sunlight and flee from it if possible.
Death Guards - One of the ultimate evils, these undead knights are heavily armored, and powerful in both martial and arcane attacks.

Tightly related with the Undead, we have the Necromancy. There's no need to explain too far what Necromancy is, but there's an important concept: energy. Necromancy uses positive and negative energy to effect the body. It has no dealings with the “soul”. In other words:

"Necromancers can heal the living, just like life mages do. However, once someone is dead necromancers don't bother to bring them “back” they just reanimate them

and make them get back to work as an undead slave. While someone is living they use positive energy to keep them going and negative energy to hurt them. If they're dealing with someone who's already dead they use negative energy to heal them and positive energy to damage them."

2.- The insectoid race.

We want the insectoid race to be a really UNIQUE faction. A unique faction needs a unique name, so I want to hear your ideas :D. Also we are discussing how to turn characterize the faction, and there are some of our considerations (in Aaron's voice).

"In my mind all this makes their strengths fairly obvious. There is no unrest. They pay 100% taxes minus food. (The hive mind understands that other races love useless gold.) They have high production bonuses. They attack using wave after wave of their men. They have exoskeletons so their base armor class is good."

And that sounds good. But...

"On the other hand they give the other races the creeps. It's almost impossible to effectively bring other races into their hive. So, captured cities have extreme unrest issues. However, if they complete destroy enemy cities they generate even more negative feelings."

3.- GOLEMS

Not surprisingly this is one of our potential new races.

"To dive into the problems first (you guys will probably see more problems than I do, but I'll do my best) golem are just too powerful and in D20 they have no intelligence. They're so immune to everything in the universe it's ridiculous. You could throw the entire Mentalism school out of the window when facing them. Some of their lowest tier units would be top tier, so you wouldn't be able to build any units until your city was almost complete. So far it doesn't look like much of a faction option.
So what can be done? Well, I would suggest following (loosely) the example D&D set with it's “living construct” sub-type. Now, we couldn't use it exactly for two reasons: First, it belongs to Wizards of the Coast (I think). Second, their implementation isn't a perfect fit for WoM."
Asmodai, one of the friends in our forum adds (as always) extremely interesting points:
"In my mind, as in D20, Golems are powerful creatures. I like the idea they are created by dwarves, it's true to MoM and it's been cemented in my head by Dragon Age and other lore. I wouldn't mind other faction wizards being able to create them as well via finding Golem manuals (items) or possibly even a high level earth spell or similar but I don't really picture a spearman type (as far as strength) golem. I had a similar weakness with Draconians though and they are quite popular so I'll just defer to the masses. I do think of them though as fantasy robots (which is supported by many of your comparisons) and while I don't mind them as rare high level units

having an entire faction of the "robots" running around for me is something I'm not a huge fan of in the fantasy setting. While I'm not a fan of Eberron it's quite popular and players can play as warforged (basically golems) from level 1 so perhaps there is your solution for inspiration.
I definitely want to see golems in the game, I'm just not big on an entire faction of them."

Opinions?

Well, see you around ;D

doomtrader

First Post
Master of Magic character designer joins the Worlds of Magic crew.

We have also launched our Kickstarter, so you can take a look what you see, and help us make this game happen:
kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game

Also we have got an interview at Rock Paper Shotgun:
rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/15/spelling-it-out-worlds-of-magic-interview/

Wastelander_WoM

First Post
Hello there! Wehave updated today with some art drawn by George Purdy, one of the original Master of Magic designers now working on worlds of Magic!

(complete the URL to see;))

myworldsofmagic .com/images/updates/alien_colour.png

More here: kickstarter. com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game/posts/459475

We have 12more days to reach the Kickstarter goal, and hopefully be able to hitsome stretch goals too. Hope you like the game, it will be my pleasure to answer any question you might have :).

See you around!

Wastelander_WoM

First Post
Well, I am incredibly happy to announce that we have reached our base goal, so the minimum funding for development is now guaranteed! That's BIG THANKS to all of you guys. Now we are trying to hit some stretch goals, and make sure that the game will be released with as much content as possible.

kickstarter .com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game/posts/

Wastelander_WoM

First Post
Hi there!

Today we can say we surpassed the 35K GBP stretch goal! So the seven faction is a reality too, soon we will ask the community (aka YOU) about what faction will be the next . Also, now it is possible to pledge via PayPal. Of course paypal pledges will count for the new stretch goals!

store.esellerate. net/s.aspx?s=STR2943433056

Wastelander_WoM

First Post
Hello!

Today we can say we surpassed the 35K GBP stretch goal! So the seven faction is a reality too, soon we will ask the community (aka YOU) about what faction will be the next . Also, now it is possible to pledge via PayPal. Of course paypal pledges will count for the new stretch goals!

store.esellerate. net/s.aspx?s=STR2943433056

doomtrader

First Post
Hello All.

We have broke the 40k stretch goal tonight, and with 29 hours left we can try to hit the 45k, which is additional race and Linux and Mac version available at the release date.
kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game

Thanks for your support, spreading the word and for backing us.
You can still give us a hand, and help making this game greater.

doomtrader

First Post
Hello All!

You can still help us by backing our game
Come and see what we are doing there and if you like it, just back us and spread the word

tinyurl.com/ck5yftd
screen.bitterglory.com/in/13-05/dggycwnnq.png

Remove ads