New Digital Games Studio announced by the president of Wizards of the Coast

Interesting. I look forward to seeing what comes of this - some thrilling ideas, no doubt, but I'm keeping myself reserved so as not to be let down should those thrilling ideas be brought into less-than-thrilling existence.

Interesting. I look forward to seeing what comes of this - some thrilling ideas, no doubt, but I'm keeping myself reserved so as not to be let down should those thrilling ideas be brought into less-than-thrilling existence.

This has already been done. Go watch a video of Fantasy Grounds. I think Roll20 does it ok too.

Well, no. Those are VTTs, which won't work on my ipad at the table, cost a fortune for every AP, and are full of features that I absolutely don't want like, you know, the VTT part of them. This is like me saying, "I want a mountain bike to go cycling in the woods", and someone replying, "Buy a Ducati motorbike, it is really good on motorways".

Corpsetaker

First Post
They could probably do a good DnD game if they subcontracted. BeamDog is proving adept at handling the Baldur's Gate series, and Harebrained Schemes is increasingly proving capable of delivering games massively above the quality standard you'd expect from a studio so small and has proven themselves adept at using Kickstarter to fund their projects.

I would definitely suggest they add Harebrained and do more with BeamDog.

But if I were them, I'd definitely nix their own games department. Hasbro just doesn't understand video game development.

The problem with subcontracting now a days is that studios mainly use their own IP because they get to keep all the money they make. Most companies don't subcon anymore.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I'd be thrilled with something like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. The fantasy gaming community is large and ripe currently, the most robust it has ever been.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
The problem with subcontracting now a days is that studios mainly use their own IP because they get to keep all the money they make. Most companies don't subcon anymore.

That's why I suggested the two companies I did. BeamDog's DnD games are advertised on the DnD website, and Harebrained Schemes is currently finishing their fourth video game using IP owned by Catalyst.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I think a Fallout 4 style D&D would be great. I want an open world that contains quests but also let's me just explore and go where I want.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
We will bring our characters and worlds to other games and experiences. What would it be like to throw fireballs as a Planeswalker in an MMO, or quest for treasure with your friends in a D&D augmented-reality game? We want to play games like this too, so we hired David Schwartz, an industry veteran with 25 years of experience leading projects at Microsoft, Electronic Arts, THQ, LeapFrog Enterprises, and Midway Games. He is building a publishing team to explore partnerships and collaborations that will bring Magic and D&D to unexpected settings, genres, and platforms
I am looking forward to see what D&D augmented-reality game is about and to what unexpected settings D&D will be brought for sure!!

Yan
D&D Playtester

Last edited by a moderator:

Von Ether

Legend
All other things aside, at this CEO sounds like he was a gamer at one point and knows what studio names to drop.

On that alone, I wish them the best.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Well, no. Those are VTTs, which won't work on my ipad at the table, cost a fortune for every AP, and are full of features that I absolutely don't want like, you know, the VTT part of them. This is like me saying, "I want a mountain bike to go cycling in the woods", and someone replying, "Buy a Ducati motorbike, it is really good on motorways".

Roll20 has a tablet app. I quite like it.

Remove ads

Remove ads