• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Discussion Thread

covaithe

Explorer
There is a poll now open about whether we should adopt the current draft of the charter as the official rules for L4W. The poll is open to everyone who has submitted a character for approval. I'd urge everyone to go over there, read through the charter if you haven't before, and vote as you see fit.

Atriden

First Post
Help with character background

Hi, I am a new player and I have made a character from the Jade kingdom. I would like your comments on my background and please feel free to correct me if I have made some incorrect assumptions about the Jade Kingdom.

Atreus D’torian was the fourth son of a wealthy Officer in Jade Kingdom, son of Creston D’torian, who was one of the many good men that fell in battle against the Oni. His mother, Electra, was a merchant’s daughter whom came from the capital. After his fathers death his family fled to the capital in search of shelter from the Oni. His grandfather, Gregory Wattson, took them in and cared for them. During that time Atreus functioned as the delivery boy for the merchant, while the rest of his brothers where drafted into the military to serve the Iron Generals descendants, in the fight against Oni.
One day, one of his father’s good friends from the army, Kalach, stopped by to visit him and asked his mother if she would give him permission to take the boy with him to be his personal assistant and scribe. His mother consented and Atreus was now off with Kalach.
Kalach was no ordinary military man; he was an intelligence officer for the army. Kalach told Atreus that he came to him to fulfil a promise he made to his father. He promised his father that he would at least make sure that one of his sons would have the means to survive this war, no matter the outcome.
With strict training Kalach teaches Atreus everything he knows about combat, subterfuge, language and poetry. Atreus learns that Kalach was once a poet, but due to the war and his abilities was called into service. The years go by and under the wing of Kalach, Atreus becomes a promising aspiring agent for the intelligence network and an excellent poet, but soon things take a drastic turn. On a mission, investigating strange activities in one of Jade Kingdoms regions, Kalach and Atreus find a magic figurine that portrays an Oni demon along with incriminating documents that proves that some of the Jade kingdoms noblemen are still secretly working with the Oni.
Kalach presents the evidence to his superiors and is shocked to find out, that he is being accused of forging the evidence. Kalach realizes that he has been betrayed and that his superior is somehow involved. He escapes out of imprisonment along with Atreus. They are forced to leave the country, but before they left the, Kalach stole back the evidence from his superior.
[FONT=&quot]Now fugitives, Kalach sends Atreus with the documents to Daunton while he travels to Bacarte with the figurine to look up allies that might help them in exposing the noblemen involved. Now waiting in Daunton for his mentors return, Atreus must improve his skills before the time comes to face the shadow once more.[/FONT]

Dunamin

First Post
Welcome to L4W Atriden!

Your background looks pretty intriguing to me and I applaud the exploration of the Kingdom of Jade - one region of L4W it definitely would be helpful for us to expand upon.

Unless anyone objects, I'd recommend adding your refinements to the Kingdom of Jade directly in the ENWiki, keeping our design principles in mind.

Elaborate on the conspiracy: Is it a well-hidden secrecy, vague rumours, or common gossip? Do the dominant races: humans, dragonborn, tieflings, and/or genasi play any special part in it? Specific names on NPCs, city and other regions would be great for the flavor of the kingdom.

Dawn Raven

First Post
Welcome Atriden! Wow we seem to have quite a few Jade Empire people.

Hey, Covaithe, you had mentioned you were looking to create a format/example of how to run a short [month-long or so] mini-game in the Long-Arm of Lauto. After we finish it, do you think I could (asking again then of course) see your notes/info on the run? I may have time to run my own mini-scenario and might be willing to try with a 2-4 players.

covaithe

Explorer
I'm so glad you asked. :D Yes, absolutely! It's been part of my idea from the start that when the adventure is done, I'll go through what I did to prepare it.

Dunamin

First Post
With proposals for new sources opened, where do we stand on third-party products?

Is the Advanced Player's Guide from Expeditious Retreat or the Noble multiclass option from Alea Publishing Group also open for proposal, for instance?

covaithe

Explorer
Free 3rd party content, I don't think there's any necessary reason to exclude, although I would expect judges to be more conservative in checking balance issues on it.

3rd party content that you have to pay for, well, that's a bit more difficult. If the judges don't have access to the content, how can they evaluate it? I'll tell you right now that I'm not buying every random 3rd party book that someone proposes. :) I suppose the same issue applies to WotC content, but there it's more likely that the judges will own (or be able to borrow) the sources in question.

It's possible that providing the judges access to a PDF for the purposes of evaluation might be a reasonable alternative, if legally questionable. (Is it fair use? I would argue so, but a publisher might argue not.)

I think we'll probably just have to be pragmatic about it and say that if not enough judges can read your proposed source, then it can't pass. Obviously judges should avoid voting YES on sources they haven't read.

garyh

First Post
I'm alright with covaithe's take on 3rd party stuff. It'd be nice to not be WotC-exclusive, it's just a little more work for the judges.

And I'm a fan of the APG and the Half-Dead myself. :)

Halford

First Post
Hmm seems fine to me, Wizards only has always been my 3.5 philosophy and has served me extremely well. However, that was largely based upon balance worries, as long as we cast a more searching gaze upon the material I believe we will be fine.

Dawn Raven

First Post
In the case of very well reviewed things, third-party stuff can be as balanced (sometimes more so) than some of the stuff WoTC released. [at least remembering back to third...]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads