• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Discussion Thread

Halford

First Post
While I agree that Wizards stuff was quite frequently broken, I also believe that 3rd party material had a greater tendency to be unbalancing - and at very least required a sterner eye. Personally I felt there was enough Wizards material that 3rd party stuff was unecessary. Speaking for myself I would prefer not to include any 3rd party material here in L4W, but I doubt that will be a popular view.

On another note a quick apology to my players, buisy day and being half dead I am off to bed rather than updating.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
As an FYI: For LEB, the only third party content allowed was OGL material. It still would require permission from the Judges, of course. The idea was that while WotC material would have a good chance of being available to many PCs and DMs, third party would be more difficult to access. The other reason (though less so) was legal (wanted to avoid any thorny copyright issues). The Compendium partially addresses that for WotC folks (and if there isn't a judge w/ DDI access, that could be an issue), but with the GSL still up in the air, I'm not sure how that'll play w/ third party.

LEW went core and custom only to avoid all issues regarding access. Of course, that introduces other things....

Dunamin

First Post
Good points, all.

I suggest we consequently prioritize "leniency" in the order of:
Free content (whether WotC or 3rd-part) > WotC content (not free) > 3rd-part (not free).
Since that would seem to match the general order of accessibility to the L4W community.

KenHood

First Post
I’ve updated the L4W Charter and the Character Creation Guide with the new approved sources, with links to freely available magazine issues and the proposal-specific discussion threads.

I didn’t link the individual articles because they’re out-of-date in relation to the compiled issues.

Hey fellas,

After looking at the article on illusionist magic, it looks like a better fit for Palindrome, since he's a machine of lies oiled by confusion and dissent. Is it possible for me to retrofit the character with an illusionist oriented load-out while he's still first level?

Ken

garyh

First Post
Hey fellas,

After looking at the article on illusionist magic, it looks like a better fit for Palindrome, since he's a machine of lies oiled by confusion and dissent. Is it possible for me to retrofit the character with an illusionist oriented load-out while he's still first level?

Ken

For re-trainable character aspects like powers and feats, I generally lean towards having new rules be brought in during retraining. But I haven't given it a ton of thought.

A similar question is, what do we do if a player wants to change a character part that's not normally retrainable to use a new rule? Like, say, a TWF ranger wanting to become a beast ranger if we approve Martial Power.

KenHood

First Post
I understand why you'd want to stick with standard re-training rules.

But...

With the charter as is, if a player wants to retrofit a 1st level character, it would be easier to retire an existing character and create a new one. Since there's three or four powers involved, it would take three or four levels to re-train the character, which is two or so years of posting, correct? That's a long time for folks to wait.

garyh

First Post
I can understand that angle, too, which is why I said "lean." :) I'm interested in hearing what other people think. Don't forget that large mid-level changes make it hard on character judges.

Maybe we can adopt a rule that if you're retraining into powers and/or feats from newly-approved (since your last level up) rules at a level up, you can retrain two powers instead of just the usual one?

KenHood

First Post
That sounds okay, especially your suggestion that 1st level characters can make significant changes before they level up.

OOC: Bluff Check. [1d20+15, 35] Natural 20, baby!​

What?! These are not the reasonable objections you're looking for...

OOC: Spends Force Point​

Last edited:

Remove ads