New Druid Build....Now with the Magician!

Thia Halmades

First Post
As usual, I have comments.

Dag.

Not much else to say. This is clearly well researched and fully developed; you covered everything I could reasonably think of with a passing reading. I'm not one for compliments, but they're self evident here.

Well done.

LCpt. Thia Halmades

Thia Halmades

First Post
On your magician (if I may) -

I don't know the status of Bards in your campaign setting; you may want to grant this class a similar ability to Bardic Lore; if they're function is to ferret out knowledge, then giving them a shot to put two & two together on the fly would be excellent.

Athame: Blessed Be. I try to avoid mixing real-world faiths in with campaign settings, but if your players are down with it and recognize it as a historic offshoot not meant to offend their sensibilities, then I have no real criticisms of this.

Insofar as using it to direct spells at targets, are we talking about things like Ranged Touch attacks? So if I'm a 3rd level Magician, then my Ray will be at (10 + DEX + 1 BAB + 6 Spell Craft skill points) to hit a target (10 + DEX + Magic Adjustments?) Odds are they'll never miss. Not on a touch attack, especially. I didn't know if that's what you intended, or if I didn't grep the rule correctly.

Simple/Complex spells. I assume we're talking about Arcana Unearthed/Eldrtich Might by Monte Cook, yes? I've leafed through those rules but had difficulty finding the actual RULE. If you could clarify their location in the book so I can read the rule myself, that would be most groovy and highly appreciated. I think he had some good ideas that were just poorly explained.

Originally Posted by Raven Crowking
A spell staff can be laden with one spell level for every magician level you have, allowing you to cast spells without losing them from your selected spells per day. You may also use your spell staff as a quarterstaff. On a successful hit, you may choose to use any number of laden spell levels to cause additional magical damage equal to 1d6 per spell level.

Can a clever user fire a spell as part of the strike? Your text states that they can effectively use Arcane Strike via the staff (burn X levels of spells to deal Xd6 additional damage) but firing Hold Person would work wonders as well. Not sure how flexible (or inflexible) you wanted this ability to be, but were I playing, that would be the first question out of my mouth.

Thoughts?

LCpt. Thia Halmades

Thia Halmades

First Post
If you look at the druid class chart, though, you'll notice that BAB went way down, while weapon skills suddenly pop into existence (listed under Magician, too). Basically, your ranks in a weapon skill can be used to improve your attack roll, or your damage roll, or both (various combat options are avaliable). For some skills, weapon skill ranks can also be used to improve your defense (i.e., fencing). The athamé rules are intended, in part, to give the magician the ability to hit with spells without having to up their BAB.

I didn't grep the rule correctly.
This may work really well for me, as I'm all about allowing classes to do what they do best without stepping on other folks toes. Is there a book you originated this from, or this is your own system? If A., please cite, if B., please post. I saw the Druid thing, but likely edited out the side bar because I'd read your prior post indicating the change, but I don't have the mechanics to make sense of the numbers (or pull Order out of Chaos). Explanation of the mechanic would clarify.

Occult Secrets: Homebrew mechanic as well? I know that Loremaster (and a few other PrCs) have abilities similar to this. I understand where you're going with it now, and it sounds like a well balanced mechanic. I'm assuming that the spell selection is more limited?

What I'm asking is: "Would I need to take a Feat in order to cast a spell as a free action associated with hitting a target with my staff?" If I have Hold Person stored, can I cast Hold Person as a free action after hitting someone with the staff, instead of using the Arcane Strike ability?

Athame can store three spells - as per the Spell Storing ability? You cast the spell into the Athame and then release it at will later on?

LCpt. Thia Halmades

Remove ads