• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Druid in town, needs some assistance

Nullmancer

First Post
I've done my research. I know my own bit of stuff about treehuggers and what not, but, I still need some assistance in perfecting what I want out of this character.

I'm building a character for a campaign where Shadowdale is now controlled by the Zhents, Shar has replaced the normal weave with her own shadow crap, and my party is going into the place to see what's all going on, and also, figure how to stop it all.

My stats:
str - 10
dex - 13
con - 14
int - 16
wis - 17
cha - 16

Thee above glories I was blessed with, and I know there's many things I can do with them, but first things first, I need to know what feats I'm going to pick. I already know Natural Spell is on the list, but I'm not sure what else. I want to be able to hold my own if I have to 1v3 or something, but after the whole campaign is said and done, I don't want to be so focused, that I pin hole myself into one corner, and the DM can use that weakness against me.

This is a level 10 campaign, so if I go human, or strongheart halfing, I'll have five feats to work with. I've looked and looked, but I don't see any feat chains that druids can follow without the before mentioned paragraph being retold in-game. Also, I see a bunch of random feats from Eberron that I can't take because the DM has focused the group into Faerun stuff.

If you take a look back up at the stats, I focused all of my highest scores into personality abilities so that I can maximize my potential in all wildshape forms. With wildshape covering my combat side, I need to figure out what I should do magic wise, since, like I said before, I want all ends covered.

Without further ado, here are a series of questions:
1) Is there an item/feat/spell/race that enables me to wildshape as a swift, free, or immediate action?
2) What metamagic feats (besides Natural Spell) are good for Druids? (don't tell me persistent because I can't sac turns like a cleric for MM feats...which sucks)
3) What feats outside of metamagic and Eberron would be especially amazing to have? (again, besides natural spell)
4) I know the strongheart halfling race is superior in that it gives an extra feat and is small, but are there any other races worth mentioning that are just as good for druids?
5) Is there a way that I can wildshape into a form that still lets me use wands?
6) Is the Wild enchantment too expensive (since I'm starting with 49,000 gold), or is it really as good as it gets as far as armor goes?
7) And what's so great about shifters? I thought the shifter ability mods made druids worse off. Can someone please prove me wrong, and give me information as to why I am wrong about this? They seem like a plausible race, just not sure how.

Last edited:

1) Is there an item/feat/spell/race that enables me to wildshape as a swift, free, or immediate action?

Not that I'm aware of, but you can wildshape for hours. By 10th level, probably all day.

2) What metamagic feats (besides Natural Spell) are good for Druids? (don't tell me persistent because I can't sac turns like a cleric for MM feats...which sucks)

Extend Spell. Air elementals are also awesome when backed up by Augment Summoning. (Read their whirlwind ability repeatedly.) Yeah I know it's not a metamagic feat, but close enough.

3) What feats outside of metamagic and Eberron would be especially amazing to have? (again, besides natural spell)

I can't think of any right now.

4) I know the strongheart halfling race is superior in that it gives an extra feat and is small, but are there any other races worth mentioning that are just as good for druids?

Gnomes are probably better for the +2 Con. (Ask your DM how they want to handle wildshaping and Con changes though. If the DM doesn't allow those Con mods to affect hit points, gnomes are probably better.)

5) Is there a way that I can wildshape into a form that still lets me use wands?

No. Even if you change into a monkey, it can't talk.

6) Is the Wild enchantment too expensive (since I'm starting with 49,000 gold), or is it really as good as it gets as far as armor goes?

I'm playing a druid right now, but it's in Pathfinder. While they fixed wildshape there, mostly, they forgot the Armor Class issue. So in PF wild armor is essential. I'd still recommend it. If you've got a cleric buddy, buy them a Wand of Magic Vestment and have them keep casting it on your armor.

7) And what's so great about shifters? I thought the shifter ability mods made druids worse off. Can someone please prove me wrong, and give me information as to why I am wrong about this? They seem like a plausible race, just not sure how.

Shifters don't even get a bonus feat compared to humans, and I don't know if their shifting can in any way overlap with wildshape. They flavor match though. Do shifters even exist in the Realms?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
my 2 cents, see if your DM would allow you a Pearl of Speech so you can speak a language in Wild Shape forms. If so, you won't need Natural Spell & can activate wands and such.

Have fun! It's hard to mess up a Druid, since you can cast, melee, heal and be skillful, it's hard to build or play a Druid wrong.

Last edited:

radja

First Post
for faster wild shaping, there's the wonderful feat "swift wildshape" which let's you wildshape as a swift action. Last time I played a druid he was heavily based on wildshaping and grappling, so I took "Improved Grapple", which worked pretty good. I loved my wild armour (expensive... yes... but it was worth it), and you may want to invest in some wilding clasps. A druid really is hard to mess up, as Rumbletiger said.

Without further ado, here are a series of questions:

The feat Fast Wild Shape (CDiv) lets you wild shape as a move action instead of a standard. Master of Many Forms gives a similar ability.

You can never go wrong with Reach Spell.

Ask your DM if you can take Improved Natural Attack. It would only work while wildshaped but it would be worth it. Natural Bond (CAdv) would be good to use if you're going to multiclass or prestige.

It really depends on how you see your character, who he is and all that.

If you prestige into Master of Many Forms you get an ability called Shifter's Speech which lets you speak normally.

You could always get Beast Skin (CAdv) which is like the wild enchantment but cheaper.

Shifters? Do you mean something like Master of Many Forms or a weird race I'm not aware of?

Ranger19k

Explorer

I find the following feats of fairly good use for Druids - especially those focusing on Summon Nature's Ally.

Augment Summoning, (and Spell Focus: Conjuration because you have to)
Metamagic School Focus: Summoning (CM 45)
Extend Spell
Ashbound (EbCS p.50) - but you're not using Eberron, so disregard
Greenbound Summoning (LEoF p.8 ) –This is stupid, crazy good. If your DM allows it, he may regret it after the fact. I understand that it was intended to be a +2 Metamagic that someone failed to add in the +. But it is Forgotten Realms material, so maybe consider.

Rashemi Elemental Summoning (UE p.45, )
Beckon the Frozen (Frost p. 47)
Initiate of Nature (PGtF p.81)
Yollanda’s Luck (RotW) - if you do go Halfling, this is a winner, allowing using your Wis score for initiative
Summon Elemental Reserve (CM)

Natural Bond (Cad p.111) - there is some debate on whether or not this lets you get around the loss of druid level for advanced animal companions. If that's how your DM/game interprets the feat, then it is a real winner.

My advice would be for you to help out your table - other players and GM. A 9th + level druid is mind-bogglingly powerful and if there is a Fighter, Rogue, Ranger in your group then you need to be very careful about niche invasion. You are a master of reconnaissance, scouting, information gathering, infiltration, mobility, control, defense, damage. Diversify your build (animal companion support, wildshape support, summon support, magic support) rather than specialize. And think twice before grabbing some of the more absurdly overpowered feats and spells from splats.

You will be awesome. Its impossible not to be. Just be wary of infringing upon the fun of your pals (specifically Fighters, Rogues, Rangers - even if they're powergamers with ridiculous builds) and be wary of, by proxy of that, being a pain for your DM as he would have to plan his game around your relative power level rather than focusing on making a fun experience for all.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
A suggestion that will make you even more powerful, and therefore potentially more irritating to your DM & fellow players, is to take the Wild Cohort feat. Now you have 2 Animal Companions. The Wild Cohort will progress slower than your Animal Companion. At low levels, this isn't really noticable, and at higher levels the Natural Bond feat should offset the "-3 Druid levels" built into the Wild Cohort to progress it equal to your Animal Companion. Talk with your DM about that interpretation though.

Also, Use Dinosaurs, they're animals.

Remove ads