New Dwarven Forge Kickstarter kicked off over the weekend...tempted, but...

My wife won't let me use an actual fog machine unfortunately so what I do when I want to hide something is I drape a cloth over it. I'm actually in the market for a dark-colored tablecloth just for this purpose as a matter of fact. I just haven't found anything that fits. I've also been pondering creating an overlay for it. My brother has a laser cutter that can do acrylic and thin plywood. I was thinking of having an opaque sheet of something cut and putting legs on it so I can conceal parts of encounters. But that's just me getting bit by the terrain building bug again. lol

Curious, for those of you using 3D setups like DF and Hirst molds, how do you do fog of war?

Do you just set up for a specific encounter or do you set up entire dungeons?

It seems like you would have to have this all set up ahead of time. Do you just have everything set up on the table, covered, until needed? Do you set up on boards and then move the setups to the table when needed?

Interested in hearing how others organize terrain setup and changes in play.

A

amerigoV

I used to use DF a lot, but much less now I run a game at another's house (I even have the DF there, but its a hassle to break out/put away). For FoW, towels/dishclothes work nicely since you can unfold and shape them.

The other thing I would do is only use DF for a significant scene or fight. I would built a room or two on cardboard so I could pick it up. I could keep the table clear then just set the room or rooms down as I needed them pre-built.

The other option is if you have a person with fidgety hands they can build want you want pretty quickly. Just hand them a map of that room.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
As stated above, they work well together.

re Bulldogs: We are young and in a new, bigger conference. I think we're talented, but the schedule is front loaded. If we can stay healthy and confident through the early weeks we will be a force come playoffs. Thanks for asking!

How much painting do you do on the hirst molds stuff? The dungeonstone stuff seems to be a light stone gray, I'm wondering if just doing some washes to pop out the crevices and cracks and all that would be enough or do you find yourself doing a lot of detail work?

Good luck on the season!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I just ordered the dungeonstone advanced set and Temple expansion. May jump in on this kickstarter though, not sure. For that money I could get a lot more dungeon stone sets...

I've started down the path of the dark side...forever will it dominate my destiny.

Celebrim

Legend
The full set is $1900. That's my first problem. I have a life and a family. I can't just drop $1900 on a toy.

The other problem is that these sort of things are too beautiful. By that I mean, all that detail that makes them attractive means that ultimately they are highly specialized. Either my imagination would have to be constrained by what I own, or I would have to explain that the actual appearance of the room didn't match the tiles I owned.

I could probably afford to drop say $200 on a toy, but that constraint makes the second problem more acute. The fewer pieces that I have, the more constrained that I am.

Adding to this problem is that I have six players, so I have six PC's plus their mounts, pets, and henchmen in almost every encounter. Throw in 1-2 monsters per PC to make for interesting encounters. If you add to that that a 'step' in 3e went up from ~3' to 5' and the higher mobility possible in 3e, the old 20'x30' room just doesn't work. Many of my rooms are 30'x40', 35'x50', and even 40'x60' isn't that rare to accommodate charge ranges and give utility to missile ranges. It's not unusual to have corridors that are 20'x120'. I need a lot of pieces to just accommodate the set up, never mind accurately represent what is in my head.

Together the cost and the specificity of the terrain adds up to a perfect storm of just not worth it, however much I admire the artistry of the pieces.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The more I look into this the more I think I'll be looking for more true 25mm scale miniatures, if such a thing exists. Everything is 28mm it seems, and often a bit larger. Looking at a 5' square on the map the average mini figure is probably 8 feet tall.

pogre

Legend
For us I set-up as we proceed. I have the pieces I will need at hand and can construct the encounter areas quickly.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Something to note about the new kickstarter: The cost difference between the several dungeon levels is huge. Especially for the "Dungeons of Doom" addition, which is almost double the previous price.

Dungeon Level I 119/82
Zaltar's Gameroom 119/82

Dungeon Level II 370/255
the above, plus
Arcane Alcove 81/56
Lever Chamber 185/126

Dungeon Level III 785/545
the above, plus
Deadly Corners 146/92
Guantlet 139/92
Acid Bath 178/129

Dungeon Level IV 1425/985
the above, plus
Gorgon Tiers 341/222
Puzzle Floors 192/117
Eldritch Pools 219/143

Dungeon Level V 1900/1325
the above, plus
Menagerie 120/83
Doomroller's Labyrinth 232/158
Dais of the Dead 181/132

Dungeons of Doom 3600/2550
the above, plus
Lava Bridge 949/665
Khri Colony 439/348
Shrine of Sysuul 498/369

I haven't figured out what is so darned expensive about the Lava Bridge. It is a very large encounter area, but the price is more than twice the next cheapest area.

Edit: The prices at each next level are close to double the previous level, except that level V is only incrementally more than level IV. That is, the level number very much is *not* a linear representation of how much stuff you get.

Edit2: Ok, the Lava Bridge has extra vertical pieces, and is the size of about three of the other encounter areas, and has LED pieces. There needs to be a larger image of this so folks can clearly see how much there is in it.

Edit3: Added "Khri Colony".

Edit4: Added "Shrine of Sysuul".

Thx!
TomB

Last edited:

Remove ads