• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New edition coming? Cool? Not rounding out 4th's core set? Not cool.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
With all due respect, there are real issues in the world worth genuine ire. Failure to publish a supplemental book for a hobby game isn't one of them.

It doesn't sound particularly respectful to be telling someone what he should or shouldn't be angry about.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Has "epic" every worked in D&D? I mean, we got the Immortals boxed set back in BECMI and we got High-Level Campaign book for 2e, then Epic Level Handbook for 3e...but I feel like that's the extent of it. A few super high-level adventures hit during 1e and 2e, but none that I think make anyone's "best of" list.

I feel like epic is something that so few people do that they might as well abandon it or relegate it to it's own little thing.

Or do what Paranoia did, and make a separate-but-related game.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Overall I think the game has always broken at Epic, and 3.5 and 4E are just examples.

Just handing out more bonuses, and having higher hit points and the like is not enough. In 4E, epic characters were only really epic because people said they were epic. You would not know it from looking at their sheets. Sure they were nice in combat, and deadly out to about 20 squares or so but is that epic? I do not think so.

I am not sure how to solve this problem, but maybe a separate game is the way to go, when the heroes play in the realms of the gods.

Might be a good module for 5E to explore.

Pour

First Post
I think in the last few months, we have finally begun to see paragon adventures in Dungeon...epic is not really considered a "success" in 4E (though I am sure it has worked for some people) and is (a small) part of why we are getting 5E.

In all seriousness, this could be something for a fan project. (ie us).

I like where you're going with this...

It is needed to complete the edition, I feel, and if WotC is not going to put it together, I believe someone should. I'm only just getting into DMing Epic myself, but I'd be willing to contribute what I learn along the way.

I think, more and more, fans of 4e are going to have to learn to be more self-reliant. The system is friendly toward that, though. We can do it.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Overall I think the game has always broken at Epic, and 3.5 and 4E are just examples.

Just handing out more bonuses, and having higher hit points and the like is not enough. In 4E, epic characters were only really epic because people said they were epic. You would not know it from looking at their sheets. Sure they were nice in combat, and deadly out to about 20 squares or so but is that epic? I do not think so.

I am not sure how to solve this problem, but maybe a separate game is the way to go, when the heroes play in the realms of the gods.

Might be a good module for 5E to explore.

This is my feeling exactly. Epic Tier should have been about much more than doing another 100 points of damage a round. I figured, if any game I ran ever got past 20th, I would stop giving out XP and have the PCs become rulers of the world. Then they have much bigger things to worry about than killing some Ogres (unless it was that Ogre army marching against their northern border).

jbear

First Post
I'd like to see a rounding out of advice for the epic tier as well. I plan to take my players there at least. Though they just hit paragon and are still plenty far away.

An epic tier base city would be cool.

I do wonder what the policy will be with DDI now that 5e has been released. I doubt they are going to want all their customers to just cancel subscriptions. Which means ... which means what I wonder?

I do remember they mentioned at least an intention to look at the epic tier in one article one of the three questions articles perhaps? Or is my memory playing tricks?

MrBeens

First Post
This is my feeling exactly. Epic Tier should have been about much more than doing another 100 points of damage a round. I figured, if any game I ran ever got past 20th, I would stop giving out XP and have the PCs become rulers of the world. Then they have much bigger things to worry about than killing some Ogres (unless it was that Ogre army marching against their northern border).

But that is what epic tier is?
The "tiers" are just a nice neat dividing lines, what the player's do in them and the stories that you tell is up to the group.
The tier progression is always described as saving a town/ saving a nation / saving the world.

If they don't release an epic tier DMG3, then the very least they should do is a series of dragon articles. I am sure there is enough collective wisdom and notes flying about the offices about epic tier that they can collates them into a handy set of advice - chuck in a bunch of new monsters and you are golden.

Remove ads