New ENnies Nominations!

The following three ENnies nominations replace those held by the Mass Effect RPG, which has been disqualified. After asking the ENnies judges to provide us with their new nominations, we apologize to these three companies, who should have been nominated the first time round. We hope that the nominations are not soured for them by the events of the last day, and that they will accept these nominations with our apologies. The ENnies judges all agree that these nominations are well-deserved. The original list will be updated to reflect these changes.

The following three ENnies nominations replace those held by the Mass Effect RPG, which has been disqualified. After asking the ENnies judges to provide us with their new nominations, we apologize to these three companies, who should have been nominated the first time round. We hope that the nominations are not soured for them by the events of the last day, and that they will accept these nominations with our apologies. The ENnies judges all agree that these nominations are well-deserved. The original list will be updated to reflect these changes.

[h=4]Best Free Product[/h]
Valiant RPG Digital Initiative (Catalyst Game Labs)

valiant.jpg

[h=4]Best Electronic Book[/h]
Dragon Age Core RuleBook (Green Ronin Publishing)

GRR2808e_450_1024x1024.jpg

[h=4]Product of the Year[/h]
Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry (Evil Hat Productions)

Designers & Dragons Cover 1970.jpg

Again, we thank you for your patience and understanding.

Pramas

Explorer
Honestly, I was confused when I saw the news this morning as well. The print version isn't out yet but it's coming soon. I emailed Hans about it. I don't want to take away a nomination from another company that better fits the category.

Fildrigar

Explorer
They can choose which.

From the ENnies rules:

Best Electronic Book – Awarded for the best book released electronically. Products submitted for Best Electronic Book must have been released exclusively in electronic format, excluding being available to POD, to be eligible. Please note that this is for electronic books only; software has its own category, and other electronic products (such as digital counter collections) still belong in Aid/Accessory or Miniatures.

I realize that publishers are allowed to submit products in both electronic and print form, but isn't this catagory for electronic only releases?

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
For some categories, wouldn't an actual print version of a product actually be important to deciding it's merit? Paper choice, gloss vs matte, binding, smear-ability of text, all things that factor into the quality of a product that ppl would spend money on.

Fildrigar

Explorer
For some categories, wouldn't an actual print version of a product actually be important to deciding it's merit? Paper choice, gloss vs matte, binding, smear-ability of text, all things that factor into the quality of a product that ppl would spend money on.

The problem there is that producers have to ship a copy to each judge. Shipping overseas is expensive, yo. ( See every Kickstarter, ever ) Many publishers send pdfs instead.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Are you trying to tell me that some of the replacement publishers aren't right now on these very forums getting pushback?

Publishers get blowback all the time for all sorts of reasons, crackpot and non. From what I'm seeing, none of the replacement nominees have anything significant to worry about. There's no upswelling of disgruntled fans looking to boycott them because ME RPG got disqualified, entirely appropriately in my opinion, for IP violation.

The issue that gets me is that Don Mappin is no stranger to the RPG industry and to working on licensed IP. How in the heck did he think submitting his unlicensed work was a good idea?!?

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
The problem there is that producers have to ship a copy to each judge. Shipping overseas is expensive, yo. ( See every Kickstarter, ever ) Many publishers send pdfs instead.

I understand that, but if one is considering something for quality, presentation and value, physical media certainly plays a part in that evaluation.

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
And Green Ronin's Dragon Age Core Rulebook is no longer up for Best Electronic Book, with nothing to replace it in the category.

Has there been any official announcement by anyone regarding that, or was it simply a stealth removal nobody wants to talk about?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads