• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Excerpts - Tome of Battle & Dragons of Faerun

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
ericlboyd said:
As I explained over on the Candlekeep boards, this is not an error. I was well aware what I wrote back in Demihuman Deities.

--Eric

Eric, well as long as you are aware and I'm aware Eric, it's all good. Like I said before, I am thoroughly stoked by this book.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Fishbone said:
Forget the Strike of Perfect Clarity, the Warblade has an ability for another full round of attacking! How is that even remotely balanced?

Because he can't throw death out to 1000', he can only get to enemies within his reach. Which, sure, permanent Enlarge and reach weapons aside, isn't nearly as large as even a close range spell at high level.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yeah, it seems like his big loss (and the big loss of many of the ToB guys) is the range. This is especially key for movement speed -- while the fighter is running around on his horse and the barbarian is, well, likely almost running as FAST as a horse ( ;) ), the Warblade is plodding along.

Also, often in rules comparisons, the ability to hit accurately is > the ability to hit for a lot of damage (see, for example, when people believe Power Attack is worth it vs. when it isn't). A d12 HD doesn't fully compensate for a mediocre AC, especially because it seems like these guys are going to be almost pure archer-fodder (or spellcaster-fodder).

They still seem REALLY powerful...perhaps still enough to overshadow the fighter or the barbarian. But it's still iffy, especially if a Fighter or Barbarian could gain access to these manuevers and stances fairly easily themselves.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
Yeah, it seems like his big loss (and the big loss of many of the ToB guys) is the range. This is especially key for movement speed -- while the fighter is running around on his horse and the barbarian is, well, likely almost running as FAST as a horse ( ;) ), the Warblade is plodding along.

Also, often in rules comparisons, the ability to hit accurately is > the ability to hit for a lot of damage (see, for example, when people believe Power Attack is worth it vs. when it isn't). A d12 HD doesn't fully compensate for a mediocre AC, especially because it seems like these guys are going to be almost pure archer-fodder (or spellcaster-fodder).

They still seem REALLY powerful...perhaps still enough to overshadow the fighter or the barbarian. But it's still iffy, especially if a Fighter or Barbarian could gain access to these manuevers and stances fairly easily themselves.

I'm not sure how many they can access, but there are feats you can take to get a stance or a feat in the excerpt.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
And the preview page appears to be down for some reason right now. I was going to check how easily a Fighter might be able to gain some of these powers as well....because feats grow on trees for Fighters, so sacrificing a few to gain these abilities is okay.

Still, it would make me nervous if the fighter HAD to take advantage of these new abilities to keep pace with the things they release in the book....smacks of imbalance right there.

One thing to note is that there are limited weapon selection and "key skills" for each discipline. Would this mean that randomized chance of failure is present? Or that, in order to make use of something like +100 damage, you have to use a relatively poor weapon?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
KM,

Joe (the mighty Joe Kushner), has a very helpful review up. (Not that his reviews are ever unhelpful but especially helpful here.)

Remove ads