• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Excerpts - Tome of Battle & Dragons of Faerun

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Remathilis said:
Saw tome of magic, wasn't impressed.

Saw tome of battle, even less impressed.

More money for DDMs. Next!

What about Dragons of Faerun? You not impressed that at least? Cause I was. It's finally a great documentation of all dragons in Faerun. Something I think a lot of DMs in the Realms need. (Say where is Klauth's lair or what was Mist's range?) Those kinds of things.

I will agree with you that the next batch of DDMs (Blood War anyway) looks very cool.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I checked out Tome of Battle at my FLGS tonight, and it looks very very cool. It looks like the designers took the PHB combat rules and bent them into Krispy Kreams. There's some astonishingly creative material in there. :)

Drowbane

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Okay, but does anyone else think this

dx0801ex2_99660.jpg

looks like "Tasselhoff Burrfoot, kender paladin?"

Blade big enough to be Rabbit-slayer?

Drowbane

First Post
Cadfan said:
I don't particularly like the comparisons. I know the intent is to compare how the three classes measure up while pursuing a particular goal, but I wouldn't expect the barbarian, for example, to be focusing on feats that are unusable when he rages. Instead, he could go farther down the power attack chain, and perhaps head for Combat Brute. Likewise, the use of a Combat Expertise based build for the fighter ensures that the fighter will have the same stat spread as the Warblade, negating one of the warblade's disadvantages. Were the fighter not required to pursue int 13+, he could instead raise his other stats, perhaps his constitution to a 16, or his strength to an 18.

On top of that, you gave the fighter a 14 dex and plate armor. He could shave that down to a 12 with no cost to his AC. Between dropping dex to 12 and int to 10, the fighter could attain an 18 strength if he so chose.

I don't think the fighter got a fair shake, or the barbarian for that matter. I concede the warblade is powerful, but... this comparison doesn't show much.

Not to mention giving the Fighter "Iron Will" as one of his extra feats. Seriously, how many fighters do you know pick this up? I've yet to see it happen.

VirgilCaine said:
That CAN be thrown, not that they can throw them. I dunno. It still means the worst they could get is...hmmm. PBS+Far Shot means you've got 30' feet on a spear or trident at first level, adding in magic spells or magic weapons would mean, say...60'? 90'? Not that far at high levels.

At high levels, they likely have something like Wings of Flying.

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
Drowbane said:
At high levels, they likely have something like Wings of Flying.

Or an item of Dimension Door.

But a high level archer or spellcaster could outdistance that pretty easily. The archer could be firing from three or four looong range increments aways, a spellcaster could be using Long range spells and/or Enlarge Spell. It's like any other weakness that you can exploit.

Last edited:

Mazlo

First Post
Not to mention giving the Fighter "Iron Will" as one of his extra feats.

Drowbane,

I've seen several fighters take this feat.

Feel free to post your own Fighter, Warblade, Barbarian, or whatever class comparison you like.

--Mazlo

ericlboyd

Explorer
Nightfall said:
My only comment stems from the History section of Dragons of Faerun. Mainly the fact that a) Orcus didn't get his wand destroyed. It was just lost. b) It appears Faerun's dragons will indeed be going to war...just for divine purposes. I hope Orcus gets involved. He deserves it after the hell he's been through because of FR. :p :)

As I explained over on the Candlekeep boards, this is not an error. I was well aware what I wrote back in Demihuman Deities.

--Eric

Fishbone

First Post
Forget the Strike of Perfect Clarity, the Warblade has an ability for another full round of attacking! How is that even remotely balanced? The Warblade gets access to the weapon focus, specialization, and weapon mastery of the Fighter and instead of a few feats gets abilities like:
Instant death or another 20d6 of damage
Another full round of attacking
Heal spells for himself or his ally whenever he hits a monster
Come on! This isn't power creep, this is power sprint. Why play a fighter over this?

Last edited:

Remove ads