• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New feats (considered for E6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
rycanada said:
Hit Dice, however, you don't gain.

Thanks. I guess Toughness is plenty for those who like high health in E6. That's the end of my inquiries. I'm very glad I was able to put my ideas out there.

You know what the irony is? I've been developing a system which is almost E1, and only gets into level progression at the latter stages of its primary campaign, as the result of a unique scientific breakthrough. In my system, the very idea of spell-like abilities and levels is Epic. In fact, it is at the very core and center of the campaign's plot.

Kunimatyu

First Post
I'm going to repost my Sudden feat here for feedback:

Sudden Metamagic:
When you take this feat, select a metamagic feat. As a swift action once per day, you may apply this metamagic feat to a spell you cast with no adjustment to the level of the spell cast.

Special: You must have a number of Sudden metamagic feats equal to the level increase of your chosen metamagic, minus one, to take this feat. For example, Empower Spell, which boosts the level of a spell by 2, has a prerequisite of 1 Sudden feat. Split Ray, which has an increase of 1, would have no prerequisites. This feat may be taken multiple times.

NilesB

First Post
Shazman said:
Critical Focus (General, Fighter)
Prerequisite: BAB + 6, Fighter Level 6, Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization in selected weapon
Benefit: Choose any weapon you have the Weapon Focus and Weapon Specializaion feats for. The threat range of the weapon increases by one (19-20 for 20 or 18-20 for 19-20, etc.). You can take this feat multiple times. Each time it applies to a different weapon.
Was it your intention to make axes and picks better than swords?

A longsword crits on 10% of hits for +100% damage: 10%*100%=10% more damage on average from critical hits.
a battleaxe crits on 5% of hits for +200% damage: 5%*200%=10% more damage on average from critical hits. the same as the longsword.

with this feat a longsword deals 15% more damage on average from critical hits, while a battleaxe deals 20% more damage on average from critical hits.

Ry

Explorer
Kunimatyu said:

Sudden Metamagic:
When you take this feat, select a metamagic feat. As a swift action once per day, you may apply this metamagic feat to a spell you cast with no adjustment to the level of the spell cast.

Special: You must have a number of Sudden metamagic feats equal to the level increase of your chosen metamagic, minus one, to take this feat. For example, Empower Spell, which boosts the level of a spell by 2, has a prerequisite of 1 Sudden feat. Split Ray, which has an increase of 1, would have no prerequisites. This feat may be taken multiple times.

I'm happy with the sudden metamagic feats that are already in the splats. Is this to correct something that you don't like in those feats?

Kunimatyu

First Post
rycanada said:
I'm happy with the sudden metamagic feats that are already in the splats. Is this to correct something that you don't like in those feats?

No -- it's an easy OGL way to convert existing metamagic feats, as only the basics have Sudden versions. For example, a wizard might like Chain Spell, but there's no Sudden Chain. This feat gives some easy (and balanced, if I looked at the Sudden feats right) ways for a mage player to convert some flavorful metamagic feats to E6.

If you really wanted it to be completely OGL, changing Sudden Metamagic to "Swift Metamagic" might also be a good play.

One other thing -- based on my readings of the Extra Spell/Extra Slot feats in Complete Arcane, you might consider adding a requirement that the caster's lower spell slots/spells known are always greater than higher slots/known, to prevent a caster from repeatedly taking 3rd level spell slots until he knows more 3rds than 2nds, for example.

Last edited:

Shazman

Banned
Banned
NilesB said:
Was it your intention to make axes and picks better than swords?

A longsword crits on 10% of hits for +100% damage: 10%*100%=10% more damage on average from critical hits.
a battleaxe crits on 5% of hits for +200% damage: 5%*200%=10% more damage on average from critical hits. the same as the longsword.

with this feat a longsword deals 15% more damage on average from critical hits, while a battleaxe deals 20% more damage on average from critical hits.

I was really trying to make a lesser version of improved critical that wouldn't result in really high threat ranges. I guess there's no way to do that without giving a bit of a boost to the weapons wit higher crit modifiers. I don't think it would be a big deal in my games ,since I rarely see PC's use axes or picks.

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
Kunimatyu said:

Sudden Metamagic:

Kunimatyu I like it, it is very simple and I think more balanced then the ones from CA. The only thing I would consider changing is allowing any metamagic feats to count toward the number required not just sudden ones.

Rycanada, just want to say this is a looks like a great system.

Ry

Explorer
NilesB, don't your numbers assume all rolls hit? I'm not sure this makes sense but I think that if you assume instead that half of rolls hit (assuming, then, that a player needs a 11 or better to hit a typical challenging opponent), the number change to this:

A longsword crits on 20% of hits for +100% damage: 20%*100%=20% more damage on average from critical hits.

a battleaxe crits on 10% of hits for +200% damage: 10%*200%=20% more damage on average from critical hits. the same as the longsword.

With this feat, you get 30*100=30% for the longsword and 20*200% = 40% for the axe. A difference, but not a big deal.

If you need a 16 or better to hit, then:

A longsword crits on 40% of hits for +100% damage: 40%*100%=40% more damage on average from critical hits.

a battleaxe crits on 10% of hits for +200% damage: 20%*200%=40% more damage on average from critical hits. the same as the longsword.

with this feat, you get 50%100=50%, and 40*200=50%

If you need even higher to hit then it favors the longsword again. So let's say you really do hit half the time against appropriate challenges: About half of those situations favor the longsword, and about half favor the pick.

Ry

Explorer
Kunimatyu said:
If you really wanted it to be completely OGL, changing Sudden Metamagic to "Swift Metamagic" might also be a good play.

Good point. Thanks. I think your feat is OK, but let me chew on it for a bit. I'd call it Instand Metamagic or something, too.

NilesB

First Post
rycanada said:
NilesB, don't your numbers assume all rolls hit? I'm not sure this makes sense but I think that if you assume instead that half of rolls hit (assuming, then, that a player needs a 11 or better to hit a typical challenging opponent), the number change to this:

A longsword crits on 20% of hits for +100% damage: 20%*100%=20% more damage on average from critical hits.

a battleaxe crits on 10% of hits for +200% damage: 10%*200%=20% more damage on average from critical hits. the same as the longsword.
No, a longsword threatens a critical hit on 20% of hits; it confirms 50% of those for 10% of all hits going critical. The battleaxe likewise only confirms half of threats.
rycanada said:
If you need a 16 or better to hit, then:

A longsword crits on 40% of hits for +100% damage: 40%*100%=40% more damage on average from critical hits.

a battleaxe crits on 10% of hits for +200% damage: 20%*200%=40% more damage on average from critical hits. the same as the longsword.
In this case only 25% percent of threats are confirmed. As it gets harder to hit threats become a larger portion of all hits but harder to confirm, 5% chance of a hit critting per point of threat range works for all cases so long as any threat hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads