• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Gnolls: Hungerer and Filth of Ruin

Pennarin

Explorer
Here are two new Gnolls, the Hungerer (Level 8 Brute (Leader)) and the Filth of Ruin (Level 9 Controller (Leader)).

I'm wholly unsure of the damage amounts and numbers like the Perception or Initiative scores, albeit they are rooted in the DMG monster creation rules and in synch with most of the monsters I managed to find that do similar things.

Feedback would help. Otherwise...enjoy!

Note: I'm using the 4E Monster Icons font developped here at ENWorld. Sadly, I still haven't found a forum smilie for a Basic Ranged Attack, so I'm using the one for a Ranged Attack.

GNOLL HUNGERER Level 8 Brute (Leader) XP 350
Medium natural humanoid
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +5; low-light vision
Hunger of Yeenoghu aura 5; allies in the aura gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls. Against bloodied creatures, the bonus increases to +2.
HP 106; Bloodied 53
AC 20
Fort 21, Ref 18, Will 18
Speed 5
The gnoll hungerer makes a melee basic attack and regains 26 hit points. Aftereffect: Target is dazed until the end of the encounter.
:close: Gnashing Maw (minor; recharge :5: :6: ) Fear
Close burst 3; deafened creatures are immune; targets enemies; +9 vs. Will; the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of the gnoll hungerer’s next turn.
Pack Attack
The gnoll hungerer deals an extra 5 damage on melee attacks against an enemy that has two or more of the hungerer’s allies adjacent to it.
Con 16 (+7) Int 13 (+5) Cha 15 (+6)

GNOLL FILTH OF RUIN Level 9 Controller (Leader) XP 400
Medium natural humanoid
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +11; low-light vision
Stench of the Beast (Poison) aura 2; enemies that enter or start their turns in the aura take 2 poison damage.
HP 95; Bloodied 47
AC 23
Fort 21, Ref 19, Will 21
Speed 5
Close burst 3; deafened creatures are immune; +13 vs. Will; the target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses until the end of the gnoll filth of ruin’s next turn.
:close: Blessing of Ruin (standard; encounter) Poison
Close burst 3; targets enemies; +10 vs. Fortitude; 2d8 + 3 poison damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 poison damage and is weakened (save ends both). Hit or Miss: All allies in the burst can shift 1 square before the end of the encounter.
Pack Attack
The gnoll filth of ruin deals an extra 5 damage on ranged attacks against an enemy that has two or more of the filth of ruin’s allies adjacent to it.
Con 14 (+6) Int 14 (+6) Cha 17 (+7)

Last edited:

JohnBiles

First Post
The Perception scores should be the same as their base wisdom bonus + 1/2 their level, unless they have it as an actual skill. So that's +5 for the Hungerer and +6 for the Filth of Ruin.

Nur-ab-sal

First Post
AFAIK it's not mentioned anywhere (at least not in the monster creation rules, which is of course where it should be), but if you look at the monster blocks in the MM it's one of the easier deductions to make. I don't think I've actually seen a monster that doesn't follow it.

Pennarin

Explorer
I found the +12 Perception score in the Orcus Deathpriest, IIRC. A 9th level Controller, not unlike the Filth of Ruin. Does the MM actually lists Perception as a skill for that entry?

cferejohn

First Post
I'm pretty sure the thing where the Hungerer dazes the opponent should be an "effect" not an "aftereffect". Effects are things that take place whether the attack hits or not (which I'm assuming is what you are going for here), whereas aftereffects are things that take place after a successful save (i.e. "Creature is stunned (save ends), aftereffect: Creature is dazed (save ends).")

Nitpick aside, looks good!

Nur-ab-sal

First Post
I found the +12 Perception score in the Orcus Deathpriest, IIRC. A 9th level Controller, not unlike the Filth of Ruin. Does the MM actually lists Perception as a skill for that entry?

If a monster is trained in Perception it's still not listed in his Skills list, because it's already listed in Senses. You can tell a monster is trained in Perception because its bonus equals its Wisdom modifier + 5.

Pennarin

Explorer
I'm pretty sure the thing where the Hungerer dazes the opponent should be an "effect" not an "aftereffect". Effects are things that take place whether the attack hits or not (which I'm assuming is what you are going for here), whereas aftereffects are things that take place after a successful save (i.e. "Creature is stunned (save ends), aftereffect: Creature is dazed (save ends).")
I'm looking at the Bone Naga's Bite attack, which functions a lot like the Hungerer's Gnaw Flesh. The Naga entry uses the Aftereffect term and phrasing. Confusion settles in.... /gasp!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads