• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New GSL Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urizen

First Post
Too bad yahoo's oracles couldn't have seen the MIcrosoft buyout coming...

It IS odd though. I've had some eerie horoscopes from yahoo.com too. :D

phloog

First Post
I guess I have a hard time 'blaming' the slashdot poster, Clark, or anyone other than WOTC.

All kinds of credit for them for TRYING to resolve the problem, if they are indeed making an honest effort....but the real fault for this state where rumors run rampant rests entirely with Wizards.

They have yet to reveal the details of the GSL, even apparently to companies that at one time paid for the info. When something doesn't show up when promised, of course people are going to wonder why...and when Wizards (via its agents, however noble the individuals) tells someone that they've introduced this company-level policy, it's neither Clark's fault for asking about it here, nor anyone else's fault for asking for more or posting the info to another location...though there should have been more disclaiming, I guess.

Also, I'd be interested in Clark or another attorney's opinion about this: True, Wizards has been pretty cool about personal/individual web sites with content...but when they introduce the GSL, won't they be in some way required to be more harsh about protection? I've always heard that in cases like this, if it can be shown that a company did not fiercely defend their IP (through C&Ds, lawsuit, etc.) then they could lose rights to defend in the future....so I guess I'm thinking that while they're pretty passive now, depending on what the GSL says they might crack down.

phloog said:
They have yet to reveal the details of the GSL, even apparently to companies that at one time paid for the info.
Sigh. No one paid for the info. In the original scenario, they could have paid the $5k after having read the GSL. Since no one has seen the GSL, no one paid the $5k. And now that portion of the GSL rollout has been cancelled entirely.

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
I just want to be clear that I'm not pushing anything not on the up-and-up with WotC and 4e.

WotC deserves 4e to sell based on its merits as a game system and/or marketing. But other publishers don't have to see the GSL as the only way to make material that is compatible with 4e. Yes, the "Posh's Hideous Laughter" 4e spell may have to be generically named Hideous Laughter and the "Strongarm of Driskol" feat may have to be called simply Strongarm, but it may be possible to do it while following the law. Check with a lawyer first, of course. Obviously WotC has borrowed and is borrowing ideas from other sources as well.

Klaus

First Post
Orcus said:
Thanks for those words. I will keep the faith.

And, I should mention that my horoscope predicts everything will be fine, so that pretty much is that, right? I mean, they couldnt print it if it wasnt true, could they?

Seriously, that was on my Yahoo page :) Its like they can read my mind!

Clark
Don't stop
Believing!
Hold on to the feeeeeling!

cnath.rm

First Post
Jack99 said:
Nah, I say lets blame Orcus!!!!

;)
Ummm, no. I owe the demon lords far too much to risk angering them with undeserved blame. :D

So are we to guess that the interview that you were soliciting questions for is a replacement for the announcement that we were expecting today? Or am I just not looking in the right place?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nope, I think that's accurate. I'm guessing 2-4 days until we get the interview questions back. We asked quite a few, but I'd say they were all good ones. The problem is that Scott is traveling right now, and he needs to take a look at them as well.

Arrond Hess

First Post
Piratecat said:
Nope, I think that's accurate. I'm guessing 2-4 days until we get the interview questions back. We asked quite a few, but I'd say they were all good ones. The problem is that Scott is traveling right now, and he needs to take a look at them as well.
So, their saying they would have some info today was false... yet again.
Niiice...

Edit to add quote...
Scott Rouse said:
I just want to let everyone know I have read the thread up to this point.

I understand people's concerns and I hope to add clarity to the questions on Monday.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads