New Halfling Favoured Class?

What Should the Halflings Favoured Class be?

• Archivist (HoH)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ardent (ComPsi)

• Artificer (ECS)

• Barbarian (PHB)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Bard (PHB)

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Bardic Sage (UA)

• Battle Sorcerer (UA)

• Beguiler (PHBII)

• Binder (ToM)

• Cleric (PHB)

• Cloistered Cleric (UA)

• Crusader (ToB)

• Divine Bard (UA)

• Divine Mind (ComPsi)

• Domain Wizard (UA)

• Dragon Shaman (PHBII)

• Dread Necromancer (HoH)

• Druid (PHB)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Druidic Avenger (UA)

• Duskblade (PHBII)

• Erudite (ComPsi)

• Favored Soul (ComDiv)

• Fighter (PHB)

• Healer (MHB)

• Hexblade (ComWar)

• Incarnate (MoI)

• Knight (PHBII)

• Lurk (ComPsi)

• Marshal (MHB)

• Monk (PHB)

• Mystic (DLCS)

• Ninja (ComAdven)

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Noble (DLCS)

• Paladin (PHB)

• Paladin of Freedom (UA)

• Paladin of Slaughter (UA)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Paladin of Tyranny (UA)

• Psion (XPH)

• Psychic Warrior (XPH)

• Ranger (PHB)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Rogue (PHB)

Votes: 83 61.0%
  • Samurai (ComWar)

• Savage Bard (UA)

• Scout (ComAdven)

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Shaman (OA)

• Shadowcaster (ToM)

• Shugenja (ComDiv)

• Sohei (OA)

• Sorcerer (PHB)

• Soulborn (MoI)

• Soulknife (XPH)

• Swordsage (ToB)

• Spellthief (ComAdven)

• Spirit Shaman (ComDiv)

• Swashbuckler (ComWar)

• Thug (UA)

• Totem Barbarian (UA)

• Totemist (MoI)

• Truenamer (ToM)

• Urban Ranger (UA)

• Warblade (ToB)

• Warlock (ComArc)

• Warmage (ComArc)

• Wilder (XPH)

• Wilderness Rogue (UA)

• Wizard (PHB)

• Wu Jen (ComArc)

Vocenoctum

First Post
I chose rogue too, since it fits them, but I think Scout could have as much fit.

As for commoner, I think a Halfling Commoner would never multiclass anyway. :)

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Torn 50/50 between rogue and scout, and ultimately voted scout because I think it's as good a choice and more people seemed to be going rogue.

For gaming purposes, I like the D&D 3.x nomadic halflings better than their predecessors, who were fairly locked into being either 'the "rare" halfling who wants a life of adventure,' the 'halfling tasked with something important he has to do, not mentioning any names,' and the 'halfling whose home was destroyed who is now three foot two inches of hairy-footed, pipe smoking VENGEANCE.'

Especially because that last concept, which was always my favorite, is still viable. :]

On that note, I could have gone paladin of slaughter, too. :p

Nyeshet

First Post
I'm just pointed out that your main reasoning seems to be 'they would have to buy another book just to find the race's favored class' while I cannot see them not including the class automatically in the book that has the race - in this case the PHB, as we are only focusing on the races from that book.

Pretend for a moment that all the classes were in the same book as the race in question. If all the classes were in the same book as this race, would you still feel so drawn towards the Rogue, or would you consider another class that might - in your opinion - better fit the descriptive text of the race and also your own personal view of the race?

That is basically what this poll is about. It is pointing out that at the time favored races were determined, there was only a few classes for consideration. Now, however, there is a small multitude. If you were determining which of these many classes to make the favored class of the race it is all but certain that later - when determining which classes would be in the book - that particular class would, per necessity, be included. So the point of whether or not the class is in the PHB is rather moot. This presumes that time has been reversed, that the PHB does not yet exist but is in the process of being written and the creators have more classes to draw upon for determining favored class for any particular race.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Now, for the Halfling - and also the Dwarven - race(s) the favored class is apparently well chosen, for it seems that most have the same vision in mind - or feel that the racial traits and flavor text agrees particularly well with the classes chosen for those races. The Figher class was overwhelmingly chosen Dwarf - the next class trailing 121 votes behind Fighter. While it seems that Rogue will similarly be well beyond most trailing runner-ups, there is a chance that some might not trail quite as far as that (121 votes). The Scout seems to have some slight pull, and I expect a few votes for Bard to eventually show up. But the Rogue class seems remarkably well suited for the Halfling in several ways, and this single class seems to be all but certain to take a notable lead over most other classes for this race.

But that is not true of all races. The Gnome and the Elf both had two or three classes with more votes than the class chosen by the designers as their 'favored class'. For the Elves the first choice was even a class in the original PHB - the Ranger. Indeed, except for the Duskblade all four primar voted favored classes were in the PHB. For the Gnome two of its four main voted favored classes were in the PHB.

So the PHB obviously seems to have quite a pull in the voting, and it seems many of the classes were well chosen, but it is similarly obvious that some mistakes were made - at least as far as the majority of players and DMs voting on these polls are concerned. The Bard was the Fourth choice for the Gnome (Artificer, Beguiler, and Wizard ahead of it). The Wizard was similarly the Fourth choice for the Elf (Ranger, Duskblade, and Sorcerer ahead of it). Neither, it seems was well chosen, although each was adequet as it seems they made it into the top four - the following runner-ups often trailing behind these leading four by 20-30 votes from the least of the top four.

Andor

First Post
How come your poll features the craptacular and reviled CW Samurai and not the mush better OA Samurai? You have other OA classes.

Nyaricus

First Post
Croth, while Nyshet is obviously going on a bit of a tangent, this poll, and the ones before it and after it, assume you have access to all materials needed. If you have not come across a certain base class, then no worries - but if there is a fit you feel, then by all means vote.

While my wording was not the best in the first poll for you to realsie this, I put up all of those options becuase they are out there for people to pick from; and, if say you or I were in charge of WotC, what would you pick for their favoured class?

---

For the half-orcs and half-elves, I am actually going to have four polls between them all. Why? Well, per the PHB, the Half-orc is assumed to have been raised by his orcish parents (favoured class: Barbarian) while the half-elf is assumed to have been raised by his human parents (favoured class: any). Thus, we need to broaden those horizons, per se.

Humans will note be having their own poll.

---

Also, as a footnote, the concept of re-running these polls with a top number of picks is growing on me; perhaps the top 7 for the number of races in the PHB. It's a nice comprimise between top 10 (which mihgt have too much flotsam and jetsam) and 5 (which I feel might be a bit limiting).

---

In any case, for those of you whom I presume are wasting your votes on some of the more outrageous choices (Dread Neccy and PoS voters, I think you know who you are :p) just note that your voice will not be heard in these further polls, since you would obviously be in the minority. For those who have voted a bit offbeat, but truthfully (thank you Aus Snow for your exemplarly choice) thank you very much :) Nyshet, I will be including all the to choices, so Fighter will be on that list ;)

cheers,
--N

MarkB

Legend
This one was easy - even adding all the new base classes, there's still only one base class that fits the classic view of the halfling, and that's Rogue.

Andor said:
How come your poll features the craptacular and reviled CW Samurai and not the mush better OA Samurai? You have other OA classes.
Presumably the CW one is more recent. The poll is looking at all official WotC classes, and WotC standard policy is that for classes with multiple sources, the most recently-published is the official version.

Remove ads