• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Homebrew Races

MatrexsVigil

First Post
I've been working on my races off and on today for my new Pathfinder campaign setting, and I'm wondering how they stand next to the other Pathfinder races (in practice, because you can only choose the ones below as a PC). The Orc, Warden, and Spirit Kith are considered 'finished' in the fact that I don't plan on adding anything else. The small folk all need more things.

Note: These will be played in a game with heavy class restrictions (including no monk so no Warden weirdness there) and with the normal 'boosting' magic item bonuses given at certain levels instead of through magic items. Players can only find permanent magic items, never being able to make them through feats/crafting.

+1 Hit, Damage, saves/+3 AC (at level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15)
+2 to two stats at level 6, 12, 18
+1 to all stats at level 4, 8, 12, 16, 20

Orc (Modified Half-Orc)
+2 to One Ability Score
Medium size
Normal Speed: Orcs have a base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
+2 Knowledge (nature) and Survival
Orc Ferocity: Once per day, when an orc is brought below 0 hit points but not killed, he can fight on for one more round as if disabled. At the end of his next turn, unless brought to above 0 hit points, he immediately falls unconscious and begins dying.
Weapon Familiarity: Orcs are proficient with bows (short/long and composite) and falchions and treat any weapon with the word “orc” in its name as a martial weapon.

Wardens (Stone Warforged normally guarding giant Egypt/Aztec-like temples)
+2 Strength, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
Living Construct trait
Medium size
Normal Speed: Wardens have a base speed of 30ft.
Darkvision: Wardens can see in the dark up to 60ft.
+2 Knowledge (history) and Perception
+2 natural armor bonus
Improved Unarmed Attack, deals unarmed damage as a Monk equal to his character level

Spirit Kith (Based off the Tiefling entry in the new Bonus Beastiary they put out)
River: +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution
Medium size
30ft speed, 30ft swim (+8 to swim checks)
Low-light
Water-breathing (Ex)
Create Water at will (Sp)
Cold Resistance 5
Charisma is treated as 2 points higher if a Water Sorcerer for all sorcerer class abilities

Tree: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity
Medium size
30ft speed
Low-light
+2 Knowledge (nature), +2 Heal
Cure Moderate Wounds 1/day, caster level = character level (Sp)
Charisma is treated as 2 points higher if a Fey Sorcerer for all sorcerer class abilities
+1 natural AC

Wind: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength
Medium size
30ft speed
Low-light
+2 Fly, +2 Bluff, +2 Perception
Cast Fog Cloud 1/day, caster level = character level (Sp)
Charisma is treated as 2 points higher if an Air Sorcerer for all sorcerer class abilities
Electricty Resistance 5

Small Folk (I didn't want to call them rodent folk...)
Mouse: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength
Small size
20ft speed
Low-light
+2 Stealth, +2 Survival, +2 Acrobatics, +2 Escape Artist

Beaver:
+2 Strength, +2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity
Small size
20ft speed, 20ft swim (+8 swim checks)
Low-light
+2 Knowledge(engineering), +2 Survival
2 extra skill points per level to put into Craft skills only

Porcupine: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Small size
20ft speed
Low-light
+2 Intimidate, +2 Survival
Spines(Ex): Any enemy that strikes the porcupine unarmed or using a natural weapon takes 1d4 damage. A porcupine that uses an unarmed attack deals +1 damage due to her spines.
+1 Natural Armor

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Nice job, MV. I've been working on a revamping a few old races as part of including psionics with PF. Here're my rough drafts. Yes, I've decided to keep favored classes. The X/rest abilities reflect me already adopting suggestions from Trailblazer by Bad Axe Games. (Check my blog for more details.)

Giant-Kin ◄
+2 to One Ability Score: Giant-kin characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.

Giant Blood: Giant-kin count as both giants and humans for any effect related to race.

Medium: As Medium creatures, giant-kin have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size. Giant-kin base land speed is 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision: A giant-kin can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Giant Heritage: A giant-kin has a racial trait derived from the type of giant blood he has. Choose one trait at 1st level. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Cloud: Ignore concealment against adjacent targets in fog or mist, including magical fog such as created by fog cloud. Auran can be chosen as a bonus language.
Fire: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all fire spells and effects. Ignan can be chosen as a bonus language.
Frost: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all cold spells and effects. Aquan can be chosen as a bonus language.
Hill: +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, and Intimidate checks. Terran can be chosen as a bonus language.
Stone: +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in rocky terrain. +1 dodge bonus to AC against thrown weapons. Terran can be chosen as a bonus language.
Storm: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all electricity spells and effects. Aquan can be chosen as a bonus language.​

Powerful Build: The physical stature of giant-kin lets them function in certain ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a giant-kin is subject to a CMB/CMD size modifier (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the giant-kin is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

Naturally Psionic: Giant-kin gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in psion.

Psi-Like Ability: 1/rest - stomp. Manifester level is equal to 1/2 Hit Dice (minimum 1st). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Languages: Giant-kin begin play speaking Common and Giant. Giant-kin with high Intelligence scores can choose bonus languages from the following list: Dwarven, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, and the bonus language associated with Giant Heritage.

Favored Class: Giant-kin can choose any one class as their favored class at 1st level. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Maenads ◄
+2 to one ability score: Maenad characters get a +2 bonus on one ability score of their choice at creation, to represent their varied nature.

Medium: As Medium creatures, maenads have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size. Maenad base land speed is 30 feet.

Naturally Psionic: Maenads gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.

Outburst (Ex): Once per rest as an immediate action, for up to 4 rounds, a maenad can subjugate his mentality to gain a boost of raw physical power. When he does so, he chooses one of the following effects:

-2 Intelligence, but +2 Strength
-2 Wisdom, but +2 Dexterity
-2 Charisma, but +2 Constitution​

Psi-Like Ability: 1/rest - energy ray. A maenad can deal only sonic damage with this ability. It is accompanied by a tremendous scream of rage. Manifester level is equal to 1/2 Hit Dice (minimum 1st). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Languages: Maenads begin play speaking Common. Maenads with high Intelligence scores can learn Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, and Orc.

Favored Class: Maenads choose either barbarian or psychic warrior as their favored class at 1st level. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Xephs ◄
+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str: Xephs are quick and affable, but not very strong.

Medium: As medium creatures, xephs have no special bonuses or penalties due to size. Xeph base land speed is 30 feet.

Creative: Xephs receive a +2 racial bonus on a Craft. Perform is always a class skill.

Naturally Psionic: Xephs gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels is a psionic class.

Burst (Su): Three times per rest, a xeph can put on a burst of speed to increase his speed by 10 feet (or 20 feet at 4th level). A burst of speed lasts 3 rounds.

Languages: Xephs begins play speaking Common and Xeph. Xephs with high Intelligence scores can learn Draconic, Elven, Gnoll, Goblin, Halfling, or Sylvan.

Favored Class: Xephs choose either monk or psion as their favored class at 1st level. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

MatrexsVigil

First Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I forgot I had this thread here, as I also posted it at two other forums.

Is there anything I need to add to the Little Folk to make them balanced with my other races?

Remove ads