• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW Immortals Handbook - Ascension thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Alzrius mate! :)

Alzrius said:
This makes sense; my only concern is that it basically makes every pantheon interchangeable. Essentially, if the same formula is followed for each pantheon regarding number of gods, their ranks, and their alignments, then it becomes just a matter of changing names and swapping portfolios. Not all pantheons are equal, after all, and there's a reason why some are more popular (in the sense of an "open" multiverse) than others.

I'll be doing what I see as the core pantheons but offering the idea that there are 'Doppel-pantheons' out there.

Alzrius said:
Of course, given how well Surtur was written, if you can make each of the deities that interesting, then it might not matter. ;)

He'll be better in Gods & Monsters.

Anabstercorian said:
What the freakin' crap is taking so long, said the man who wandered away for four months and came back to find you still wallowing in freaking /beta/?

The text is basically complete (just ask Pssthpok - he's been on me like white on rice) the art is underway and should only take a few weeks.

Other than that, good to have you back Anabstercorian mate! :)

Pssthpok

First Post
Just doin' your job, Anabs. ;)

It looks like maybe what, UK?, two pages of text overall need finishing up. I'm looking forward to the art, but anticipate even more the Gods & Monsters.

On an unrelated topic, UK, I pre-ordered the print Bestiary last night. Hopefully the printers won't break again. :)

paradox42

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Just as well no one asked me for my Lawful Evil interpretation of the Old Testament 'GOD'...lets hope Cheiromancer never finds out. ;)
I also agree with that interpretation; going by D&D alignment definitions I honestly don't see how one could arrive at any other for the entity in question except by not wanting to "blaspheme" against a real-world religion (no valid excuse in my book).

That said, I do have to agree that following a cookie-cutter approach to pantheons makes them all a lot less interesting, and therefore I won't be using said approach; however, you no doubt expected that from me anyway.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Hey Pssthpok matey! :)

Pssthpok said:
Just doin' your job, Anabs. ;)

I don't need 'Smite Procrastination' in stereo. :heh:

Pssthpok said:
It looks like maybe what, UK?, two pages of text overall need finishing up. I'm looking forward to the art, but anticipate even more the Gods & Monsters.

The cover of Ascension* is shaping up to be epic.

*dubbed "Twilight of the Gods".

Pssthpok said:
On an unrelated topic, UK, I pre-ordered the print Bestiary last night.

I love you too. ;)

Pssthpok said:
Hopefully the printers won't break again. :)

I think the problem was a financial one (reading between the lines), something to do with the Chinese printer raising their costs (to the point where it wasn't as economically viable for Mongoose), which in turn caused Mongoose to set up their own Printing Facility.

Hey paradox42 dude! :)

paradox42 said:
That said, I do have to agree that following a cookie-cutter approach to pantheons makes them all a lot less interesting, and therefore I won't be using said approach; however, you no doubt expected that from me anyway.

I can always count on you to be awkward! :D

The 'cookie cutter' (as you put it) approach is more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

Therer are lots of different variables in play...as you will see in the opening chapter of Gods & Monsters. ;)

shadethief

First Post
I was reading thru Ascension this morning, working on a high level build, and came across something. If I'm a lesser deity, and possess the Thievery portfolio ability of Improved Sneak Attack & the Divine Sneak Attack ability, do they both stack?

Hi shadethief mate! :)

shadethief said:
I was reading thru Ascension this morning, working on a high level build, and came across something. If I'm a lesser deity, and possess the Thievery portfolio ability of Improved Sneak Attack & the Divine Sneak Attack ability, do they both stack?

Technically they are the same power, so no.

Someone with the Double Thievery Portfolio does deal 100% divine damage from sneak attacking though.

shadethief

First Post
Ok. Just a suggestion, you might want to follow the path you took with the other domains and change the name of Improved Sneak Attack to Divine Sneak Attack. Otherwise a lot of people will attempt to use that as a loophole. "Look, they're named different, they must stack". Thanks for the quick reply UK.

HeruShango

First Post
Creating a deity, hero etc.

Greetings,

I was reading Fieari's Playtest report and was thinking. Would it be possible to show a step-by-step creation of an immortal or epic hero? It could be the last chapter of the book or an appendix. That way the reader could see the complete process and it would make it a little easier for them.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads