• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW Immortals Handbook - Ascension thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadethief

First Post
Does anyone have the formula for replicating an item in an artifact that only has a price attached to it? It isn't in the latest version of Ascension, & I don't have the older version due to my old hard drive crashing earlier this month

jedrious

First Post
shadethief said:
Does anyone have the formula for replicating an item in an artifact that only has a price attached to it? It isn't in the latest version of Ascension, & I don't have the older version due to my old hard drive crashing earlier this month
it's in the new version of ascension

an offensive artifact is worth bonus squared times 20000
a deffensive artfct is worth bonus sqaured times 10000

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
U_K, I wanted to mention that the section on Apertures doesn't indicate if the person who receives power from one needs to stay in the area of it. I would think that they do (though they can use ranged powers outside of the area of it), and that they lose their quintessence from it if they leave (though they'd immediately regain it if they returned...though that might leave it open to being usurped in the meantime).

Also, I think it'd be cool if a person could permanently siphon the power of an aperture, so that they've basically permanently absorbed it, meaning that it can't be taken (except by normally killing them and taking it), though this'd only give them 10% of what the aperture normally bestows.

Last edited:

U_K:
Table 3-1: Portfolios notes 'synergistic' portfolios? What does this mean? Does it grant a benifit, or is it simply 'these two make a lot of sense together'. Either way, this should probably be noted; I spent about an hour scanning the book for mention of it.
Also, I believe Synergistic is spelled wrong on the table itself. (Spelled correctly in the paragraph above it though)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Another bit of errata U_K. On page 116, under "Effects - Step By Step" you refer several times to "Table 4-9: Effect Parameters," but the listing for that table, on the same page, is 4-10.

I was also looking back over your write-up for Surtur. You give him three Transcendent abilities, with a parenthetical note that the three abilities make up for him not having three artifacts. However, this doesn't seem to jive with what's in Ascension.

You note that equipment is 1/3 of a template's ECL. As an Elder One, Surtur has an ECL of 240, making +80 of that due to equipment. Deities normally have four artifacts, which in this case means that each of Surtur's artifacts is worth +20 ECL; hence, only having one, he has +60 ECL's worth free to spend on additional powers.

However, you list on page 27 that a divine ability is worth 1 ECL, meaning that not having three artifacts has essentially given Surtur an additional 60 divine abilities. According to Table 4-1 on page 96, however, it'd take 36 divine abilities to gain even one Transcendental ability - never mind three.

How, then, does he have that many esoteric powers (given that he's a sidereal)?

EDIT: On a completely unrelated question, U_K, are divine powers granted by portfolios subject to prerequisites? I ask because the Death portfolio only requires a non-good alignment, meaning you can have a neutral death god. However, the Negative Energy [Effect], which is gained for free as a Lesser god, requires you to have an evil alignment. What does that mean, then, for said neutral death god?

Last edited:

jedrious

First Post
Alzrius said:
Another bit of errata U_K. On page 116, under "Effects - Step By Step" you refer several times to "Table 4-9: Effect Parameters," but the listing for that table, on the same page, is 4-10.

I was also looking back over your write-up for Surtur. You give him three Transcendent abilities, with a parenthetical note that the three abilities make up for him not having three artifacts. However, this doesn't seem to jive with what's in Ascension.

You note that equipment is 1/3 of a template's ECL. As an Elder One, Surtur has an ECL of 240, making +80 of that due to equipment. Deities normally have four artifacts, which in this case means that each of Surtur's artifacts is worth +20 ECL; hence, only having one, he has +60 ECL's worth free to spend on additional powers.

However, you list on page 27 that a divine ability is worth 1 ECL, meaning that not having three artifacts has essentially given Surtur an additional 60 divine abilities. According to Table 4-1 on page 96, however, it'd take 36 divine abilities to gain even one Transcendental ability - never mind three.

How, then, does he have that many esoteric powers (given that he's a sidereal)?
you're forgetting about the rest of his ecl from hd and whatnot

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
jedrious said:
you're forgetting about the rest of his ecl from hd and whatnot

No, I'm not, I took that into account. His total ECL is 240 from his Hit Dice (120 Hit Dice, each worth 1 ECL) and his template (Elder One, +120 ECL) for a grand total of 240.

WarDragon

First Post
I think U_K said for simplicity that each artifact was worth either divine slots equal to bonus, or just one esoteric ability, for simplicity's sake.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
A few more minor points of errata U_K.

On page 24, in the Manifestation section, there are some minor errors under the "Avatar" and "Aspect" headers.

Under the "Avatar" listing, the fourth bullet point says that an avatar's ability scores are equal to 7 + 1/2 the ability score of the manifestation. However, the example provided in the grey box list's the ability scores for Demogorgon as using a base 6, instead of 7.

Under the "Aspects" listing, in the fourth bullet point, you refer to it as an avatar instead of an aspect.

Table 4-11 lists one of Telelocation's prerequisites as "Track 40 ranks." This should be "Spot 40 ranks, Wis 40."

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads