New Kelvin Timeline Star Trek film goes into production late 2022

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever

Early days. No release date (though I would imagine summer 2023 at the earliest). Also no word on if they will re-cast Chekhov. Matt Shakman (WandaVision) tapped to direct.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Urgh.

Putting aside my issues with the Kelvin movies. I hope Paramount, at some point, realizes that Star Trek will never be the big tentpole blockbusters it's been trying to make them. They just aren't that.

Retreater

Legend
My interest in Trek has definitely waned since TNG. The first of the Kelvin movies reinvigorated it briefly (that seems what J.J. is best at - making cinematic appetizers). However, my enthusiasm has sunk over the years. I haven't tried Picard, Lower Decks, Discovery, etc.
For me, Star Trek's utopian optimism is out of step with the world. Imagining an earth where we all get along in a peaceful space organization where everyone has everything they need, believe in technology/science, corruption is at a minimum, etc, just seems fake.
All that's left are people in space with phasers and aliens. Other sci-fi properties do that action better.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm excited!

First, I really and truly enjoy the cast. (Obviously, RIP Anton Yelchin ... such a sad and senseless tragedy). I'll watch Chris Pine in pretty much anything ... he's likeable. Is he in any other upcoming movies I should know about ......

Anyway, the Kelvin franchise had a good starting movie (not great, but good), a mediocre second movie, and a banger of a third. Beyond might not be a great movie, but it was a GREAT STAR TREK MOVIE.

Seriously. Ponder this- if someone said to make a Star Trek episode, or, more specifically, make a TOS episode, but MAKE IT A MOVIE, I think Beyond comes the absolute closest.

Is it the best Star Trek movie? No. That will always be KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. But it's definitely top-tier Star Trek. In fact, I'd go so far as to say, three movies in, that the Kelvin franchise has the best batting percentage of any of the Star Trek move franchises.

Yeah, I went there. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Remove ads