New Kelvin Timeline Star Trek film goes into production late 2022

Horwath

Legend
It turns out the galaxy is a very dangerous place. You'll find lots of exploratory expeditions in our history carried weapons - Magellan is known for demonstrating arms, armor, and artillery, for example.

I think the distinction comes in the idea that the primary purpose of a military organization is to engage in warfare. This distinguishes them from police or peacekeeping forces, which are also armed, but not generally intended to engage in warfare.

Admittedly, this brings into question what counts as "warfare". We can note that Starfleet isn't known for putting together large groups of ships to engage in violence, except in defensive actions like Wolf 359 and the Dominion War, which the Federation did not start. If they are not usually gathered in tactically relevant groups, it is hard to consider them military.
well, Federation DID start the Dominion war

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've read some great books that link the West's massive scientific revolution with it's propensity to link exploration with military expansion. So as models go, it's not actually a bad one!

Of course, the whole, we are a peaceful exploratory organization that JUST HAPPENS to also be massively well armed and armored (and seriously, even sickbay tends to just have phasers just lying in drawers for people to grab and shoot) is a real interesting way to go!
It makes sense, in a world where space is chock full of violent dangers. Peaceful doesn’t mean pacifist, after all. It just means The Federation isn’t an expansionist power, and doesn’t start fights, or go looking for them.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It makes sense, in a world where space is chock full of violent dangers. Peaceful doesn’t mean pacifist, after all. It just means The Federation isn’t an expansionist power, and doesn’t start fights, or go looking for them.
Yet another reason I disliked Into Darkness.

Because the Federation was expressly looking to start a fight. Sure you can say it was a "rogue element," but he was high enough rank that it basically WAS his decision to make. It was extremely "un-startreky" for me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
well, Federation DID start the Dominion war

That depends on what you consider the starting point - the first shots were fired as Dominion forces attacked and captured DS9.

Of course, before that the Dominion bombed a conference on Earth, and attempted to destroy Bajor's sun (a genocidal act, had it not been stopped). But, you know, who needs to quibble about who started it?

doctorbadwolf

no really,

Sisko knew that mining the wormhole is an act of war. He even said that: we are losing the peace, so war may be our only chance.
I’m aware of the events of the show, having watch it twice.

It’s an oversimplification. Like saying that the bully didn’t start the fight because the bullied kid technically threw the first punch that turned the bullying into a fistfight.

Sisko made the call he did to stop the expansion of the Dominion. That isn’t “looking for a fight” or “starting wars”. It was getting the Federation to actually fight the war they were already in.

doctorbadwolf

That depends on what you consider the starting point - the first shots were fired as Dominion forces attacked and captured DS9.

Of course, before that the Dominion bombed a conference on Earth, and attempted to destroy Bajor's sun (a genocidal act, had it not been stopped). But, you know, who needs to quibble about who started it?
Exactly this.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Its true, not even Tom Hardy could save Nemesis.
I was excited for Nemesis, but my expectations dropped in the very first sequence: a close-up of an important Romulan character in that pivotal, establishing scene revealed a clear, distinct end of Romulan face makeup right at the actor's jaw line, the neck being clearly the actor's natural skin tone. That's just unprofessional. It did not bode well.

Remove ads