D&D 5E New Luke Gygax adventures!

darjr

I crit!
If asked, I'd write an organised play adventure for revenue for WotC/ Adventurer's League. Because I *know* those are played regularly enough that there's lots of groups buying the new adventures each month, who are keeping pace with the release schedule. Public play groups who schedule game days for the new releases.
So it's guaranteed sales.

Well... Adventurer's League maybe Pathfinder Society. But the latter has more of a back catalogue, so new sales are probably sluggish and dependant on reviews. But AL has fewer options at the moment.

But, then again, back in 3e Organised Play adventures were done by volunteers. So you were writing them for nothing. I did one for Living Greyhawk and I'm not even sure I retain the rights...

One author is republishing them on Drive Thru with the Greyhawk IP removed.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?536863-Living-Greyhawk-adventures-on-DriveThruRPG

darjr

I crit!
I think WotC is trying to separate themselves a little from the Adventurer's League, since it's operated/ managed by Baldman Games more than them. So Baldman Games would have to pay, and that might be beyond them.
It's "official" in name only, as WotC just reviews and rubberstamps the adventures.

Prior to 4e, it was all volunteers. And many organised play programs still use volunteers. The adventurer writers get nothing. They're not even doing it for exposure...

Not that I see:
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/AL_content_creation.pdf

Ah, no. Baldman games isn't managing adventures league. The Primary Admins became employees of WotC and the LC and LL's positions were removed. The stores now go through WotC's WPN service and retail support. Many folks now do AL on their own. The AL admins working for wotc maintain the FAQ and the rules and do coordinating as well.

Baldman games is trying to put together a DM Herald's Guild but it has nothing to do with wotc or AL management for that matter, even as it looks like it'll run a ton of AL. The Baldman wan'ts to do other living campaigns and has done so at Winter Fantasy.

Yes, the WotC agreement isn't different. But Baldman games payed their writers up front for their CCC's. Please don't make me dig out the quote, it's in a podcast somewhere. I will try if you insist. But in this case Baldman either had that aggreement you posted or some other and the Author's had their aggreement with Baldman games, not WotC.

I think Baldman games had their own agreement with WotC, by the sounds of things. Just a hunch here.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think WotC is trying to separate themselves a little from the Adventurer's League, since it's operated/ managed by Baldman Games more than them. So Baldman Games would have to pay, and that might be beyond them.

Companies far smaller can pay. It sends the wrong message. If the market leader can't pay for work done, why would the myriad of smaller companies do so?

Are you sure that's correct? That DDAL authors don't get paid anything except royalties? It seems unlikely! Though I admit I know nothing of DDAL pay practices.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]

I don't know. I'm not a current writer but I do think getting that module upfront in AL is pretty good.

I think I heard WotC used to pay $700 a mod and give them away, essentially. Now I've heard many of the authors are making more than that, sometimes much more. And I've heard positive things from the AL authors. Though I imagine I might be biased somehow.

Are there any AL authors here that prefer the older way, or some other way? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Though the conversation has moved on. I never intended to say I didn't want the authors to be properly compensated. What I was saying is that compared to similar products these seemed to be over priced. And, that until their quality was known, their value would be unknown.

Remove ads