• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
The warlock sets the pace for requiring frequent rests. The wizard is okay to take one (once) and the sorcerer doesn't have a reason to take one. That's bad design because the friction of resting isn't solely between players and the environment, but between players themselves.
Agreed. That's why I've been arguing in other threads for a recharge mechanic (whether we call that "short rests" or something else) that's personal to the character, not something that needs to be negotiated with the party as a whole.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Question already answered by my post.

It's narratively/fictionally insane to stop for an hour. You're literally engaging in metagame thinking to defend it being an hour - that's demonstrating exactly the problem I described!
It's not reasonable to say "that's metagaming" and move on because anything that might justify calling it metagaming was stripped out by the 5e rest rules. Now the rule itself is structured to ensure players and PCs as well themselves never look past what you are calling "metagame thinking" any more than wolverine or Deadpool might. There used to be phrasing in rest mechanics like "long term care" & "good sleep" along with a need for the PCs to actively do things beyond merely existing like pray study meditate & So on. Those phrases and activities allowed the gm to more easily say "no this place is not appropriate because it's the middle of a dungeon move on. Now the bar has been set so low I actually saw someone say that changing the wording back would be an effort to turn the game into some kind of grim dark murderfest the other day.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The whole point of a 1h rest is that you cannot do it everywhere and anytime. If you reduce it so far that this goes away, you are back to per encounter abilities by a different name
This is sadly the reason this was done: forcing the game back toward the resource attrition/starvation mode of play short rests were created to subvert while still pretending there's variability to the resource schema--knowing full well that making the group waste a full hour means they'll just do a full rest, reestablishing the faxu-Vancian (because I will never sully poor Jack Vance with what D&D did to his books) status quo.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Absolutely. Long rest and resource attrition need to dustbin of history.
Resource attrition is important for gameplay depth and scale. For example take video game shooters and how resource attrition impacts the gameplay...
  • Doom quake PUBG and so on have some and occasionally that leads to tough choices and kick ass moments of victory
  • Bioshock has similar levels as above but with different pools to create more depth in play
  • Dead space has a whole lot more and as a result create an edge of the seat adrenaline thrill ride.
  • Contra has no resource attrition. Just an endless pew pew pew. It will never have the depth or scale of those others. Neither will the shallow always win design of 5e.

It's not reasonable to say "that's metagaming" and move on because anything that might justify calling it metagaming was stripped out by the 5e rest rules. Now the rule itself is structured to ensure players and PCs as well themselves never look past what you are calling "metagame thinking" any more than wolverine or Deadpool might.
Man what?

What on earth are you trying to say here? The second sentence does an amazing job of actually making your point way more confusing. I can't even respond to this bizarre pair of sentences.

My hope is that the Player's Handbook has a robust beast appendix. Then it'd almost be like choosing and preparing spells.
I don't think that the PHB should have to reprint any monster stats at all. It's a waste of space to print the same rules in different core books. Also, I believe class design should not require DM-side monster stats. Monster stats are for DM-use, and should not need to be balanced for player use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads